“Just one second.”

Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St
Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 12 January 2009

That's how the girl at the front desk greeted me. She may have been holding up a finger at me, I don't remember. But it was definitely off-putting.

Many people who arrive in Auckland have, like me, just spent 20 or so hours on a plane. When you get to your destination you just want a smile and a little courtesy. None was forthcoming. It's not that they're rude, exactly, they just don't seem to grasp that customer service involves making people feel welcome.

Then I walked past the cafe. The sign said "will open in October 2008." It was December 2008, and it was still nowhere near being open. When I got to the room I figured out that you had to insert the card in the slot to make the power come on, but couldn't, in my jet-lagged state, deduce that you need to LEAVE IT THERE.

A phone call later, someone came and showed me. In theory, I guess I applaud the eco friendliness, but this is another thing you need to TELL THE PERSON WHO IS PAYING GOOD MONEY TO STAY AT YOUR HOTEL UP FRONT, not let them puzzle out on their own when they just flew overnight from L.A.

A word about the location for those like me who didn't do their homework: yes, it is in central Auckland. However, central Auckland is pretty awful. It is across the street from the Misson, and while Kiwi bums are not exactly intimidating, it's still not the most pleasant sight. It's near the Sky City Tower and Queen Street, yes, but unless you are a connoisseur of cheese and ugliness you will want to get as far away from these things as possible as soon as possible. They give an awful first impression of a city that is actually pretty nice once you get out into the suburbs.

Don't stay here, or in this area.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
ACH157, Management at Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2009

Thank-you for your feedback as it will allow us to address our short-comings. We do apologise for your experience with us, we are actively working to improve guest experiences.

We have addressed the less experienced members of our staff and will be monitoring their progress in terms of customer service. They will definitely improve with more experience and training. Thanks.

Reviewed 10 January 2009

Pros:

- Good location
- Inexpensive
- Very clean
- On-site laundry facilities

Cons:

- Expensive ($25/day), tiny car park
- Some of the reception staff not too bright

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 December 2008

We found this hotel based on previous reviews on TripAdvisor. It looked to be very well priced in comparison to other 4-star hotels in downtown Auckland. We were very happy with the hotel during our stay, and if you can get a rate under $100 USD per night, it's definitely good value for money.

We arrived on a red-eye flight at 6am, and luckily the hotel had a room all ready for us to check in to. It was nice not to have to wait until the proper check-in time to lie down and have a shower, after a very long flight.

We had a studio room (with microwave and hot plate) for 4 nights in early September. I was concerned that it would be too cold because the hotel doesn't have central (forced air) heating. However, there were two oil heaters in our room, which were sufficient for that time of year. The studio was great, because it let us buy some small groceries at corner stores and make our own breakfast -- something which can save quite a bit of money if you are in Auckland on a budget. It was also helpful because we had flown in from Toronto, and due to the extreme time change, found ourselves wanting to eat at 4am!

The room itself was decorated in a modern style, with nice decor. There was a large TV and nice sofa. It was a fairly large room. I found the bathroom more than adequate. Everything was extremely clean. We booked this hotel because we didn't want to stay in a dingy hostel in downtown Auckland, which is fairly expensive anyways, and I must say that spending the extra money to stay at this hotel was certainly worth it!

Free or cheaper wifi would have been a good feature, as the wifi was fairly pricey. But that seems to be common to other hotels in Auckland.

Overall, we found this hotel to be excellent value for the price we paid.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amazon_blonde
Reviewed 10 December 2008

I chose this hotel on the basis of good reviews regardless of it being under a year old under present mangement. I was very pleased with what I got. Out of the blue when I checked in, they upgraded me to a double bedroom suite which was far larger than I needed. My head sank into super soft pillows each night. Every day I returned, my dishes had been washed and packed away. The suite was very clean, and my possessions were not disturbed. At night, it was quiet. I couldn’t hear other rooms and being on the 10th floor, I could barely hear the street. I liked the tv having access to Sky News and Sky Movies amongst other channels. I had no problems with staff.

The location was good, being one block from SkyTower up the top of the hill. If you need cheap transport there, catch the bus from the airport, then get onto the free red City Circuit bus and get off at the tower.

My only gripes were little things. The top of the stairs had nails for the carpet that needed to be better nailed down. I had to close the bathroom door each night due to noise through the ventilation vent. And on two days the cleaner had made everything tidy but had opened both the curtains. Since this was without A/C (as it seems is much of NZ), the place warmed up.The only thing missing was a restaurant which was still "under construction". As a result, there was no food via room service. However the location meant that there was plenty of takeway and convenience stores within a couple of blocks, some open 24hrs.

In my books, it was certainly four star, perhaps with a plus.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank AussieMike22
Reviewed 8 December 2008

I had a few days in Auckland before taking off on an extended overseas trip, and needed somewhere I could do some last minute work and also somewhere close to the AK79 reunion gig. This place worked out great.

The one complaint I do have is that I did not know about the $25 a day parking charge until it came time to check out - luckily I only had a car for one day. Other than that, the location was just great, the bed was comfy, the TV was shiny, the bathroom was clean, the staff was friendly.

What else could you ask for? Oh, I know: make the wireless internet a decent price. 60 cents a minute is too much. Luckily, there is an Esquires coffee shop just down the road with free internet, and a very cheap and good internet cafe just round the corner from the hotel, towards Queen Street.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2008

17th October 2008
I stayed at this hotel with my mother and wasn't expecting to be surprised as little had been said about this place.
Well much to my delight the ecco friendly hotel was clean tidy and refreshing. They have done well with the basics and the astute traveller will appreciate this. I booked at last minute and paid half the price of the rake rate which would be difficult to justify not staying here.

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank Tui08
Reviewed 3 November 2008

This place is great value for the money. We got a double room on wotif.com for NZ$110/night.

The fit out is new, nice flat screen TV, sure not much of a view and the (new) bathroom is a bit on the small side but for the price you can't complain.

Really central to everything, 7-11 type store right across the road, and yes valet parking is $25 but suited us as we could park in the basement and leave really early for the airport in the morning.

If you are on a budget and can find a good deal on a last minute type website I think this is really good value.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple