“Great location for quick city break”

Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 4 November 2009

We only stayed one night in this hotel in Auckland so although I can't provide detailed accuracy about the hotel's overall service, I can say that our brief stay was ideal.

The hotel was in a great spot for exploring the city centre - very close to the Sky Tower and walking distance to cafes and restaurants. The staff were helpful when organising a taxi to the airport (cost $50 and the driver was chatty and friendly) and when paying to access the internet (not a very fast connection though!).

The room was clean and spacious with a nice 'wet room' bathroom. We also got a good price via a TripAdvisor partner so found it good value.

The views from the bedroom weren't spectacular - looking onto a block of flats - and the area itself isn't the most stylish - but for a base to set off for exploring the city, we couldn't fault the hotel's location and comfort.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 October 2009

Due to our early morning arrival, we checked our bags in at the hotel storage so that we could get our bearings of the surrounding area before the official check in time. The rooms were comfortable and more spacious than some of the other places we stayed during our trip. We stayed in one facing surrounding buildings away from the street, so it was nice and quiet. If you plan on traveling via bus to other destinations in the North Island, the bus terminal is just a few blocks away. We decided to take it easy on the first day and took the Super Shuttle into the city and the hotel was within walking distance to the rental car location the next morning. Initially, when we needed assistance upn our arrival and at check in the two gentlemen who were at the Front Desk were very gracious, helpful, and polished. On another occasion when I inquired about about how to get to a popular tourist district for cafes and galleries, another agent was not knowledgable of the surrounding area and seemed quite confused. I ended up finding the information I needed in a brochure. Aside from that minor service flaw, staying here was a great value. We decided to treat ourselves for a nice honeymoon dinner at The Grove--which was AMAZING and a great start at sampling NZ cuisine! It's fine dining in a casual elegant atmosphere that has great wine selections and the best service we had in NZ. We're both in the hospitality industry so we really pay attention to details and are particular about service standards.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Stayed here for 1 night - found it ok, and parked at the hotel (can't remember how much it was though). It was a large room, with a settee and cooking area, going into the bedroom, and a small shower room in the middle. Had fridge, hob, kettle, microwave (shops around the area to buy food and drink too), and there's a bar and restaurant downstairs. Internet was in reception, paying for a time limit of 15 or 30 minutes. No free wi-fi in hotel. Laundry rooms on a couple of floors, buying washing powder from reception, cheap for $2 for a wash or dry. Room was clean and ok, bed a bit hard, and the heating was from an electric heater with a broken stand. It didn't really get warm enough, and there was only a thin sheet for us on the bed. Location was ok, short walk to main area, and very close to tower.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
ACH157, Management at Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2009

Thank-you for your valuable feedback. We do have draft-stoppers, extra blankets and fan heaters available on request. Guests can contact reception (24 hours) at any time. Thanks.

Reviewed 9 October 2009

We were initially impressed with our room and the general location of the hotel. It seemed to be a good value. But we then stood slack-jawed in the bathroom as we observed a large mold colony growing on the ceiling of our shower. You didn't need a magnifying glass to spot it (picture attached to this review) and it had clearly been there for some time. The room was otherwise clean, but a good hotel staff does not miss mold like this.

Finally, when we checked out, it was only then mentioned that we had to pay a nightly fee to use the parking structure and that fee was not trivial. When we first arrived at the hotel asking where we could park, all we were told was to go to the parking structure and they buzzed us in, making no mention of extra costs.

Had high hopes for this place and it lived up to some of them (great location, great room amenities), but the above two items left it far short of expectations.

Oh, and on a related note, I booked this room through Hotels.com, but this hotel clearly did not get how that processed worked. Even though I had given my credit card information through Hotels.com at booking and pre-paid upfront, the hotel insisted I provide a credit card to them directly for a deposit. It took about 3 or 4 phone calls with Hotels.com staff (who were great!) to convince the hotel manager of this hotel that my room was already paid for through Hotels.com and I did not need to give them my credit card information for a deposit. So don't be surprised there is some confusion when booking them through this site.

I guess that's three strikes...it's too bad because I really wanted to like this place.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
ACH157, Management at Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2009

Thank-you for your valuable feedback and we do apologise for your experience. Please inform our staff immediately if guests have problems with their rooms as we could try to remedy the problem or change rooms sooner.

We have also implemented a check-list of in-room maintenance issues so that we are able to identify and remedy them on a more timely basis in the future.

Unfortunately parking for hotels in Auckland Central are almost always chargeable and our staff would normally inform guests on this. We do apologise for having omitted this and have briefed all front office staff.

FInally for ALL check-in guests, we would still require a cash bond or a credit card to swipe through for pre-authorisation purposes (in case of incidental charges like internet, telephone, etc). Third party websites like Hotels.com do not pass on guests' credit card information to us, so that is why we would still require one upon check-in. Appreciate your understanding.

Reviewed 28 September 2009

Lol, seriously. Never ask them for directions ... they gave me the wrong directions three times.

It's located right in downtown, so you are centrally located. Auckland is more of an industrial city so a lot of people commute into town. This makes it have less of a community feel. Speaking to some of the locals they say that Friday nights are fun but the city becomes more quiet over the weekend ... since it's more industrial. All of my tours would pick me up right from the front so that was convenient. My room was very "modern" which some people may like. I find it less comfortable and more stale. They were great at cleaning up my room.

NEVER ask the staff for directions anywhere. Every location was "an hour+" walk away or "a $30-45 cab ride" ... even though the park that ended up being three blocks away. (no joke) I then asked for directions to a second park where their directions took me an hour and a half out of my way ... the direct route only took me 20mins.

But aside from bad directions, I have no other real complaints about this place. Just be aware that it's right across the street from the mission. (where they hand out food to the homeless) Not a lot of homeless at all in New Zealand. In fact I didn't see one until Sunday morning.

I liked this place, but next time I'm going to try the Skycity Casino.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Everything about this hotel should make it a total winner. It is centrally located in the Central Business District, is within walking distance to most major attractions, has prices (especially pre-paid) that are almost unbeatable in the area and the hotel is modern and clean. However, the level of service from the staff is a big letdown.

Though courteous, the staff seem incapable of providing what I would consider to be standard levels of service for a hotel in this class. Here are a few examples:

1) On my first night at the hotel, I asked for a dining recommendation and was told to go to Denny's (yes, the well-known American breakfast chain) when there were many more options available.
2) When I asked for day tour suggestions, I was directed to the tourist information desks at the SkyCity complex (3 blocks away) only to find out later that the tours I wanted could have been arranged by the Auckland City Hotel staff.
3) After paying almost NZ$34/day for high-speed internet service, I discovered that the connection speed was barely twice that of dial-up. Instead of the front desk working with the internet provider to address the issues, I was left to spend my time and money to speak with the ISP and resolve the issues. I ended up spending most of a day in the room waiting for callbacks and follow-up.
4) I put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door one morning and removed it at 3:00pm. I called down to request that the room be cleaned and was told that the cleaning staff had "left for the day". However, I left the hotel room early the next day and returned at 4pm to find the room still unprocessed. I called down again and was told that housekeeping was not available at that time but that I could get some more towels.

None of these issues would prevent me from staying at the hotel again but I think people should be aware of the low service levels.

To be honest, I think that there may be a cultural aspect to the service challenge. My sense is that the hotel markets to clientele that typically may not expect or desire the levels of service that I am accustomed to.

So, in summary, this hotel is great in every respect except for customer service. If you are not needy or spoiled you should be reasonably satisfied.

P.S.: Stay away from the onsite restaurant! It has dreadful food!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tbird209

Thank-you for your valuable feedback which would enable us to address our service shortfalls.

Unfortunately we do not have a conceirge department, but we have implemented partnerships with tour companies for 1-2 day trips which we are able to book for guests. We are also in the process of training reception staffs who will be able to better inform guests regarding local attractions and provide a better level of service.

We are always in the process to trying to improve our service standards and your honest feedbacks have been much appreciated.

Reviewed 27 August 2009

This hotel was much nicer than other budget motels I stayed in (yet around the same price, making it excellent value). The hotel was clean and professionally run. For the first time in a NZ hotel I had a nice, modern bathroom! TV was nice and big. Really my only complaint was the cold (even with 2 heaters), and the location. It's close to everything downtown but is up a hill and appears to be on a sketchy street, with a low-income (homeless?) shelter across the street. It's not as bad as it sounds.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo