First the positives - this hotel is conveniently located for the Intercity bus station and the rooms were spacious and clean and good value for money. However the Hobson St setting is depressing in the extreme - while the homeless hostel opposite did not make me feel unsafe, it's dispiriting and there are no restaurants or shops other than convenience stores very close by. The room was also exceptionally noisy due to a lack of soundproofing from corridor noise.
The main problem though was the hotel restaurant, Bings. I would strongly recommend avoiding this unless you are very familiar with Malaysian food and comfortable with arguing with waiters. Admittedly the food was tasty. However while I ordered a reasonably priced dish with rice included, I was brought a similarly named and far more expensive dish with the rice charged extra. Similarly with the wine - what I was brought was far more expensive than what I ordered. The starter contained fewer items than advertised on the menu. When I realised what had happened when the bill arrived I was given no choice but to pay because I had consumed the food, even though it wasn't what I ordered. A cheap meal ended up more than 50% more expensive than budgeted for. I was also quite unwell the next day but that might have been a result of lingering rage at being screwed over rather than food poisoning. The restaurant also has all the cosy ambience of an aircraft hanger. Auckland is jam packed full of good Malaysian and other ethnic restaurants - there is no reason to choose the hotel one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1912, The year of the Titanic, was when the lobby and entrance of the Auckland City Hotel - Hobson St was originally erected. The hotel has retained the character and charm of its past enhanced with a new building housing 138 rooms with contemporary decor and modern conveniences. The Auckland City Hotel is ideally located at 157 Hobson Street - in the heart of Auckland's entertainment and business district with easy access to motorways. Only five minute's walk to the Sky Tower, Aotea Square, Civic Theatre and Queen Street, the Auckland City Hotel offers convenient, environmentally friendly accommodation for business and leisure travelers alike. Enjoy a meal at hotel Cafe & Restaurant, renew with a read of the Word for Today in our rooms or relax with a workout at our offsite gym and swimming pool, the Auckland City Hotel is called to serve more than just your accommodation needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotelopia, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St Hotel Auckland Central
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St New Zealand