“Still a good night out”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Still a good night out”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I returned to wildfire after about 10 years and was pleased to see the restaurant is still a good night out. Reasonably priced and a good variety of meat and sides, tapas etc..

It's nice to enjoy something a little different from standard restaurant experience

Visited August 2014
Luis F, General Manager at Wildfire, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you Andrew and welcome back to Wildfire!

Your comments are very much appreciated. I am pleased you think that after 10 years Wildfire is still offering great food and value for money. We are proud to say that fifteen years on, Wildfire still has the same owners and key team players.

Once again Andrew, thank you!

Auckland, New Zealand
“Unstated policy, unaccommodating approach and appalling attitude make for an abysmal experience”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I wrote this review having just returned from this restaurant. To elaborate a little, I returned without being served lunch and effectively being asked to leave mainly due to a ‘policy’ that wasn't made known to me until I was seated at the table with a bunch of colleagues awaiting a food menu.

It all began yesterday when I was invited to a team lunch at this restaurant this afternoon. Given I’m a vegetarian with a limited palette, I quickly jumped to the restaurant's website to check out the menu options before accepting the invite, where I noted the following:

1. There was an à la carte dining option
2. There were dishes on the à la carte menu that were suitable to my palette
3. À la carte dining was “available in designated dining area only” (with no such restrictions specified for the Churrasco option)

I accepted the invitation hoping we could all still sit together in the ‘designated dining area’, while we all enjoyed the food of our choice – à la carte or churrasco.

To my surprise it turned out customers don’t have this option! With some of the restaurant's policies (like “Only 1 account & 1 total payment per party”) stated on their website in no uncertain terms, I can only wonder why that won’t be the case for a policy as discriminatory as this one.

Unfortunately, things only got worse from here. Instead of acknowledging the oversight with a bit of compassion, the restaurant manager decided to argue his case right then and there while me and my colleagues were sat on the table hoping to get started with lunch soon. Instead of attempting to find a solution to the situation, he found it more prudent to focus his efforts on proving that I was wrong and that this policy is indeed stated on their website. With him saying – in any case, “I’m telling you now that this is how this restaurant works”, I figured it was time to end my conversation with him.

So, having effectively been told to either comply with the unstated policy, or walk out the door without being served, I chose the latter.

Fortunately, there are eateries in the vicinity that are a bit more accommodating so I didn't have to skip lunch. But I did unfortunately have to skip my ‘team lunch’ to save a lot of inconvenience to the whole group, and all of the above makes this afternoon an experience I hope I don’t have to go through again.

Even though I can't offer a review of the food itself, I would certainly not recommend this place to anyone else on the basis of the service provided.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank P B
Hi PB,

It is never pleasant for us to be informed that we have upset any guest of Wildfire. I am sorry that your visit to our restaurant was spoiled and was not what you had expected.

I fully understand your frustration on our policy of not serving A la Carte items on the same table as Churrasco diners. However, there is a rational and understandable explanation for this important policy of our restaurant, which I am very happy to explain. Please call me or come and see me (and I sincerely hope you will) so that I may elaborate on the reason further and hopefully sway your judgments of Wildfires’ dining procedure.

Once again PB, please accept our deepest apologies.

Fabio Guedes
Wildfire
Phone: 09 353 7595
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Dinner”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

"Caught" in Auckland on a wet, windy & cold evening, so decided to eat whilst there. A friend pointed to Wildfire adjacent to were we met. As it had been many years since I had been there and they had never been we ventured forth. Clearly a very popular location, even the seating worked well, as we were "placed" next to an old soccer colleague and his wife on an outing. Good chat, good food and plenty of it - certainly couldn't leave this establishment still hungry. DEFINITELY will be back.

• Visited July 2014
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your kind comments. We’re glad you and your friend enjoyed the visit to Wildfire. And it’s especially gratifying to know that you had visited us in the past.

Meinisberg, Switzerland
“if you like meat... just go there..”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

very nice location directly on the harborfront, beautiful outside sitting, warm atmosphere, eat meat thats why you go there, perfectly grilled to the topspot for me, perfect service from the restaurant staff, big winelist goooood stuff inside..

• Visited March 2014
Luis F, General Manager at Wildfire, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you M., for all your wonderful comments. We really appreciate you taking the time to write of your enjoyable experience at Wildfire. I hope you enjoyed your visit to New Zealand.

Auckland, New Zealand
“great service and food”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

it was really good experience for me..food was amazing and great atmosphere impeccable service and exposure of flavors..thanks

• Visited June 2014
Hi Xantheonix,

We’re glad you enjoyed your experience at Wildfire. It’s also wonderful to know that you had visited us before and that our quality of food and service has still maintained.