“Nice and cosy hostel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Verandahs Backpackers Lodge
Lyon, France
“Nice and cosy hostel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

We spent 2 nights here in a double room at the beginning of our stay in New Zealand. Honestly, this hostel is great, relaxed, and charming. At some times, we were feeling like in a bed and breakfast thanks to the decoration and atmosphere.

The bedrooms and bathrooms are clean. The kitchen is huge and has got plenty of equipments. The staff is friendly : the person that checked us in also gave us a tour of the hostel, which was really nice from her.

About the location : it is not right in the middle of Auckland but if you don’t mind walking it’s only a 15 minutes walk to the city centre. And anyway, the neighborhood is quite vibrant too.

I would definitely stay here again if I had to go back to NZ.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pofdega

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

The bed at Verandahs might be more comfortable than my own bed as I have not had such good sleeps anywhere else during my trip.The room is cozy & clean with decent size. The toilet is very clean and the shower is nice & hot. The staffs are very helpful but they usually take 5 mins to turn up after you rang them. The hostel seems very big with a huge kitchen which I did not have a chance to use. The location is ok as it took me about 15 mins to walk to downtown, a better way is to walk 5 mins to Pitt Street & catch the free shuttle which runs from morning to 11ish at night everyday.
I will definitely stay here when I come back to Auckland next year!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Thanks to Cambell who helped me ogranise a rental car and what to do for the first few days. Loved the tip about the Coromandel - thanks.
Great hostel near by a park and with really comfy beds.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

I was back in Auckland to see friends and for the last week of the Rugby World Cup. As I had enjoyed my stay so much here three months earlier I decided to go back. Campbell was as helpful as possible with everything and the place is still in immaculate condition.

I stayed in number 4 which is my favourite house. The whole place is really clean, and convenient for all the great bars and shops in Ponsonby.

It was busy while I was there and I had to move rooms once, but it was only next door, so fine.
I noticed a previous comment about noise etc. It is the middle of the rugby world cup. Rates here were amazingly generous for guests compared to the many hotels and hostels which exploited the tournament to raise prices. I suppose you just can't please the most demanding travellers.

Room Tip: Try to stay in house 4
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
lausanne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

First place we stayed when we arrived and worst one to recover from long journey. We booked an private bedroom and got one next to the entrance door - I let you imagine the noise 24/24h. Very cold and humid although we were Oct (Spring). The shared bathroom are cleaned once per day which is visibly not enough... Location is only ok due to Ponsonby street very close with lots of restaurants and bar, while the city center is a good 30 min walk and harbor at least 40 min. Needed to pay for Internet access which was very slow connection. Net, very very poor value for money if you book a bedroom. Do not recommend for couples.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank nataliouch
Camsmith, Manager at Verandahs Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
It is disappointing to read your review and I would like to take the opportunity to respond.

Firstly for all potential visitors, we are not a Hotel or a Bed and Breakfast, and as a consequence our lower prices reflect this. We do however try our hardest to provide a quality stay at a affordable price in wonderful old restored buildings in one of local Aucklander's favorite areas. While we do not please everybody, most of our guests do leave happy and that is why we constantly appear as one of the top rated hostels. As you could see during your stay , the downstairs areas is currently getting fresh paint and carpet. The next area is the toilet you are reffering to . With shared bathrooms, we are dependent on the guests co-operation to keep clean. Unfortunately this is not always the case. I will ensure we continue to check periodically the state of the toilets. If you do see it is not in a clean state please let us know and we will rectify.

With regards to the noise, we are in the middle of the Rugby World Cup and there is alot of excited guests coming in at odd hours, more so than normal. We will check the closing mechanism of the front door to ensure it is not slamming.

We are a 12 minute walk to the back of the Town Hall, to the waters edge aprox 25 minutes. I have timed this so I am unsure if you took the direct route. We are also on the Link bus route and a close walk to the free bus. I will remind our staff to make sure they give directions to guests on arrival.

As for the comments on the weather, I am not sure what I can do about this. It is Spring and in New Zealand we have a saying it you dont like the weather , wait ten minutes . We do provide heaters for the rooms.

As for not good for couples, you have not explained your comment. Once again we have many satisfied couples staying with us.

Finally please , if you do have a problem, please come and see the manager and give us the opportunity to put it right. We get no satisfaction at all in seeing our guests leave dissatisfied.

Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

I found this location to be fantastic as it is quiet and with a view over the park. Only 15 minutes walk to the centre and has some good restaurants within walking distance. The rooms were nice and spacious and I loved the large kitchen.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

No real complaints. As far as hostels go this one is comoftable, and fairly clean, despite the number of guests. If we return to Auckland we will use this hostel again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple