Verandahs Backpackers Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Quest Ponsonby(Auckland Central)
View Hotel
Amora Hotel Auckland(Auckland Central)
  • Pool
Kiwi International Hotel(Auckland Central)
  • Restaurant
Ascotia off Queen(Auckland Central)
  • Bar/Lounge
Apollo Hotel Auckland(Auckland Central)
View Hotel
VR Queen Street(Auckland Central)
  • Restaurant
VR Auckland City(Auckland Central)
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Grand Millennium Auckland(Auckland Central)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsponsonby roadwestern parkk roadhelpful owneramazing kitchennew zealandspacious kitchencity centrecommon areasponsonby areasingle roomgreat place to startprivate roommin walkshared kitchenquiet at nightsky tower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 January 2012

This is an awesome hostel. The rooms are clean, tidy and spacious and the hosts are amazing. I accidentally left my library book at this hostel and when I emailed to see if they had found it they had already rung my local library and had posted the book down. Well beyond the call of duty. I would highly recommend staying here :)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 January 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for five nights in January. It was the first hostel of our six month trip and it met our expectations. We didn't use many of the amenities in the buildings, such as the kitchen or even the common room. We stuck mostly to our double bed room, and relaxed on the balcony. The location of the hostel is ideal, it's nice and quiet at night but close enough to the downtown core for an easy walk. The owner quoted us 15 minutes to the local grocery store, and 25 to the waterfront. We're fast walkers and it took us a little longer than that, allow for more time since the whole way is up and down hills. The park behind the building is spectacular and Ponsonby road is filled with great cafes and art stores. We used the Inner Link bus to get around town and it was very convenient, as the closest stop was less than a 5 minute walk.

We stayed in the main building on the second level, the room sheets were clean, and there was a good lock on the door. Three bathrooms on the upper level and a single bathroom downstairs, no complaints about the cleanliness and everything was in working order. Our room was very simple, just a bed, a mirror and an empty closet. It suited our needs, but we noticed that some of the other rooms had a shelf, and another had a dresser with a second window.

It's an old house with character, we enjoyed it there. A+ for the location and atmosphere.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have two windows, nice for the breeze during the summer. The bathrooms doors tend to be quite loud at night, a room away from them would be quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We stayed in a double ensuite at the beginning of December and we really enjoyed it.

The hostel is located slightly outside of the city center (about 15 min walk) right next to a lovely park. The hostel balconies (verandahs) overlook the Auckland skyline. The location is great - it's quiet and yet you're very close to all the amenities. The garden is great to unwind in.

The hostel itself is comprised of several buildings, all with great character to them.

Our room had a nice fireplace feature, super high ceiling, comfy double bed. It felt more like a stylish B&B than a hostel... The owner was great - very helpful and personable.

We loved the place.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank agatabb
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We spent 2 nights here in a double room at the beginning of our stay in New Zealand. Honestly, this hostel is great, relaxed, and charming. At some times, we were feeling like in a bed and breakfast thanks to the decoration and atmosphere.

The bedrooms and bathrooms are clean. The kitchen is huge and has got plenty of equipments. The staff is friendly : the person that checked us in also gave us a tour of the hostel, which was really nice from her.

About the location : it is not right in the middle of Auckland but if you don’t mind walking it’s only a 15 minutes walk to the city centre. And anyway, the neighborhood is quite vibrant too.

I would definitely stay here again if I had to go back to NZ.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pofdega
Reviewed 29 November 2011

The bed at Verandahs might be more comfortable than my own bed as I have not had such good sleeps anywhere else during my trip.The room is cozy & clean with decent size. The toilet is very clean and the shower is nice & hot. The staffs are very helpful but they usually take 5 mins to turn up after you rang them. The hostel seems very big with a huge kitchen which I did not have a chance to use. The location is ok as it took me about 15 mins to walk to downtown, a better way is to walk 5 mins to Pitt Street & catch the free shuttle which runs from morning to 11ish at night everyday.
I will definitely stay here when I come back to Auckland next year!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple