“The best part of Auckland”

Verandahs Backpackers Lodge
Stuttgart, Germany
“The best part of Auckland”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The best hostel I ever stayed in! Been there twice, in March and April 2014.
First of all, the whole hostel is clean, tidy and furnished more like someone's home rather than a hostel. The beds are supersize, compared to any other hostel as are the showers/toilets. The manager(s) are very helpful and friendly and even gave us a tour of the hostel. The kitchen in the second house has got everything you need for cooking, with the big, cozy living room next to it. If you are sick of sightseeing, you can relax in the nice garden. The harbour, my favourite place in Auckland is a 30 minute walk away, or a mere 10 minutes by bus. You have to walk approximately 20 mins to get to the nearest supermarket (New World).
For me, this hostel really felt like a home away from home and was a perfect beginning and end to our New Zealand Trip!

Room Tip: It really doesn't matter!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Klang, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My friends and I checked in Verandahs just before sunset. I didn't manage to explore the surrounding of the lodge but the kitchen at lower ground floor. The kitchen is well-maintained and equipped most appliances you may need. The best kitchen i ever entered for my Kiwi trip. The room was neat and there was a fireplace in the room, which I wish I could use it for creating the relaxing ambiance in the dorm that we lodged in. I will be surely come back again here in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms at second floor,with better outside view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

The owner let us check in late, check out early, change our reservation last minute, and store out luggage. Basically he was really good about putting up with us. It was clean and warm and well maintained. It was also quite close to the main downtown area which was nice and convenient as well. I loved it!

Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We only stayed here for one night and got in after reception closed. We were promised a room together for the 4 of us and they divided us up between 2 rooms (1-4 person, 1-2 person) with other travelers. When we called to sort out the problem, the gentleman was not helpful. However, it worked out and they refunded half of our stay. The bathrooms were clean but had little shelf/hanging space. The hostel isn't central but is still pretty accessible with bus/foot/taxi. Lots of great ethnic restaurants nearby. The place is beautiful looking and historic.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
austrailia
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Like everyone else this Place is One of the Best I have Stayed in The cleanliness of this Hostel and the amount of people who use these facilities is 10 out of 10 I had My own room double with ensuite on the first floor was emaculant upon arrival My first Impression is always my way of have I choose the right place well I am so glad I did The Room was Large had own Kettle Tea and Coffee Sink to wash up plenty of room to store Belongings The Bathroom was great Hot Showers every day large and Spacious as well I did see the dorm rooms and bathrooms Again very well maintained and kept clean daily The Laundry was easy to use The way this place is Designed there is so much privacy if u choose to seek The Verandahs surrounding this hostel is unbelievable The kitchen and dining area is one of the best set ups I have seen plenty of room to prepare meals so many options to use Stoves tops oven Micro wave 2 Sinks to wash up 2 Large Fridges and a massive Pantry to store your food The Location is Absolutely the Best Ponsonby Road Amazing Ten min walk to city and Sky tower stayed 9 Nights I believe that Staying here Auckland for me was one of the Happiest hostels I have stayed in What I will say which is a very important issue to raise in staying at hostels is the Honesty of all the Staff and Travellers You could leave anything in your fridge and pantry still there everyday I was lucky enough to have had the most Amazing kind friendly bunch of young adults who conducted them selfs in a manner that there Parents would be proud I am a mature traveler It was an honour to have enjoyed there kind Hospitality It is a very well run Establishment No Noise very Quiet at night.. Campbell The Owner very Polite Man I can see why it is so popular Would highly Recommend Verandahs to Any Traveler you will Love it

Room Tip: All the rooms are great depend son how many in a group and what you are after My Double with Ensuite...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Location is spot on - just off Ponsonby Road, with its great collection of shops, cafés and bars.
Parking was better than expected - Verandahs had about 7 or 8 spaces which were free and had no time limit. There is also free, 2 hr parking on the street.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
The wifi was quite costly, but found it to be pretty fast and reliable.
Double room was spacious with lots of natural light. The relaxing verandas were a great sun trap.
Bathroom facilities clean and didn't have to wait.
Kitchen large and well equipped, nice lounge area.
Good value for money.
Also, can recommend Freeman and Grey just around the corner on Ponsonby Road - $4 pizza between 12-2pm and 5-7.30pm. They're bigger and tastier than you'd expect for $4!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ailsa G
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My experience at Verandahs was great! The staff was friendly and helpful, the facilities were clean, and the rooms were cozy. The location is outstanding--I wasn't aware before arriving in Auckland just how convenient the Ponsonby locale really is! Verandahs was a short walk for dozens of restaurants, cafes, and bars, as well as a nice walk from the harbor and the Auckland Domain. My only complain was the lack of free wifi, which was somewhat of an inconvenience as a backpacker from abroad. But especially with tons of cafes around, I highly recommend Verandahs!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends