“One of the best backpackers I have ever stayed at!”

Verandahs Backpackers Lodge
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed here in a three bedroom dorm for 17 nights. I wanted somewhere quiet because I was studying, and this place was perfect! Lovely location, really close to the city and cafes. The staff were excellent!! so nice and helpful. The kitchen was incredible, heaps more facilities then what I have encountered at other backpackers- people were cooking roasts, baking cakes and bread on a daily basis! Big pantry and a few fridges meant I never was in need of space for my three bags of food. Very clean, the bathrooms were always tidy and I never ran out of hot water. The only small downside is the internet, the wifi was not great. Drops out a bit and you have to pay for it. But, was a small inconveince in an otherwise pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Booked two nights separately. As I booked through the bbh site, which I am a member, I was upgraded from a multiple bunk dorm room to a four bed one, which was nice. First night in a three bed dorm with two smelly guys and the the next night in a four bed dorm with others I didn't actually see as I came in late in the dark. Beds were comfortable and the place was quiet. Didn't really use any of the facilities, but I liked how the kitchen and lounge were downstairs and open all night. (I don't imagine that rowdy houseguests in the lounge and kitchen can be heard in the dorms upstairs) Bathrooms were all private and seemed very clean and hygienic. I asked for two towels and appreciated not being required to pay a deposit for them, even when I was willing to. This is a beautiful and well kept house about 20 minutes walk into the city. Will stay here again. My only gripe is that there's no drying room for towels and hanging damp towels on rails and hooks in dorms makes them smelly.

Room Tip: Just book about a week in advance and you may get a free upgrade on arrival.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at Verandahs lodge for all of the nights in Auckland. It is located on the edge of a beautiful park near Ponsonby road, which has lots of restaurants, bars, and clubs. The owner and staff were very helpful and the rooms were great. The hostel is in two beautifully remodeled older homes. We were a little concerned that it would be a noisy backpackers hostel because of the name, but it was clean and quiet. Kitchen facilities were great, although the oven temperature was off. Highly recommend it if you are looking for a quiet place that isn't right downtown.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim A
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The best hostel I ever stayed in! Been there twice, in March and April 2014.
First of all, the whole hostel is clean, tidy and furnished more like someone's home rather than a hostel. The beds are supersize, compared to any other hostel as are the showers/toilets. The manager(s) are very helpful and friendly and even gave us a tour of the hostel. The kitchen in the second house has got everything you need for cooking, with the big, cozy living room next to it. If you are sick of sightseeing, you can relax in the nice garden. The harbour, my favourite place in Auckland is a 30 minute walk away, or a mere 10 minutes by bus. You have to walk approximately 20 mins to get to the nearest supermarket (New World).
For me, this hostel really felt like a home away from home and was a perfect beginning and end to our New Zealand Trip!

Room Tip: It really doesn't matter!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My friends and I checked in Verandahs just before sunset. I didn't manage to explore the surrounding of the lodge but the kitchen at lower ground floor. The kitchen is well-maintained and equipped most appliances you may need. The best kitchen i ever entered for my Kiwi trip. The room was neat and there was a fireplace in the room, which I wish I could use it for creating the relaxing ambiance in the dorm that we lodged in. I will be surely come back again here in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms at second floor,with better outside view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

The owner let us check in late, check out early, change our reservation last minute, and store out luggage. Basically he was really good about putting up with us. It was clean and warm and well maintained. It was also quite close to the main downtown area which was nice and convenient as well. I loved it!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We only stayed here for one night and got in after reception closed. We were promised a room together for the 4 of us and they divided us up between 2 rooms (1-4 person, 1-2 person) with other travelers. When we called to sort out the problem, the gentleman was not helpful. However, it worked out and they refunded half of our stay. The bathrooms were clean but had little shelf/hanging space. The hostel isn't central but is still pretty accessible with bus/foot/taxi. Lots of great ethnic restaurants nearby. The place is beautiful looking and historic.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends