“not a nice place to stay”

Lantana Lodge Backpackers
Lantana Lodge Backpackers
Ranked #33 of 114 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
“not a nice place to stay”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

watch this place, they entered our debit card twice, we found out by email (as we get one each time the card is used) then followed a big row to get our money back. the place is old and rundown. the kitchen stinks as people sit right outside the door to smoke. the micro-wave was filthy. the sheets on the bed were stained and had hair all over them and looked as though the had not been changed in a long time. after nine weeks of travel in NZ and staying in a different backpackers each night this place is definitely the worst. you would not let your mother-in-law stay here..

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Service is average- trying to find the receptionist can be a bit tricky as she isn't in the office very often. There is however, a phone next to the office door so you can get in contact with the manager.
The beds are very comfy and clean. However there could be a bit more effort onto cleaning the rooms. They are very spacious though.
The bathrooms are clean but do seem a bit run down. The kitchen is in similar conditions. It is quite small and does need to update its utentials and appliances. It is however a very pleasant hostel to stay in. It has a great atmosphere and is in a fantastic location.
Would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

I do not know where to start! We arrived to a voice from behind a locked door 'I'm on my lunch break, just go in...!' So we did, unfortunately.
There was a no shoes inside rule, which we ignored because the carpet was soaking wet and filthy dirty.
The room was uninhabitable, no other way to describe it. Simply disgusting! The carpet was again, wet, dirty and ripped. The window was broken (banged all night) and wouldn't close, therefore the bed was soaking wet... Speaking of the bed it certainly hadn't been changed before we arrived. It was filthy and had a lot of body hair between the sheets! We ended up in our sleeping bags, not sleeping at all that night. The wall paper was peeling, there was mould and cobwebs! Simply awful! The whole place needs gutting!
Bathroom much the same, absolutely horrible! Mouldy, dirty and smelly!
We didn't even venture into the kitchen/ lounge.
We booked and paid for 3 nights, left after the 1st and we not given a refund.
We find it unbelievable people have reviewed this place so highly. Especially when we paid $70 for a double room here! We quickly checked into Ibis Styles in the centre for $74....100% better!
This is not a harsh review, it is completely honest!! I wouldn't wish that experience upon anyone else and want to warn people what it's really like.
Sorry Lantana Lodge if this offends you, but this is simply unacceptable...!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GlenLambert

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I do not like writing negative reviews - but this is a necessity to warn people NOT to stay at this backpackers. I have just returned home from a weekend at Latana Lodge and it was an experience I do not ever wish to repeat. I have stayed in a number of backpackers across the country and never before have I encountered such a dive - trust me - 1 star is too many to describe my time spent here. The customer service throughout the entire experience was nothing but disappointing and rude, but it was the backpackers itself that was awful. I don't know when the pictures on their website have been taken, but they must have been a while ago, because currently the place resembles more of a dirty hovel. The sheets on my bed were stained and when I asked for an extra blanket because the one I had was paper thin and I feel the cold, I was informed they had run out of extras so I had to borrow some from a friend who lives in Auckland so I did not freeze the entire night. The towels that I paid for were also dirty. This backpackers also has a policy of no shoes inside - so one would want to bring some shoes for indoors because there is no way you want to be walking around in bare-feet! The state of the bathrooms was also disgusting - chipped paint, chipped basins, dirt and grime everywhere. Latana Lodge is run-down and depressing and a backpackers you do not want to ever stay in. This is surprising as it is in a nice location - but it has clearly not been looked after or managed properly and is falling into a state of disrepair and squalor. Think twice before staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lis H
Albany, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Old plantation style home converted to hostel. The downers- building not well maintained, tidy but not truly clean, cold (was there in NZ winter), and the bathroom was very bad (shower curtain was mostly black with mold!) The good stuff- location is a great part of Auckland, staff is very friendly and welcoming, and the hot water pressure was the best ever :-D

Room Tip: Remember to specify girls or boys only rooms if required.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 1wordsworth
New Brighton, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Four of us, 3 male, 1 female stayed here for an overnight in a family style room (1 bunk bed + 1 double). We arrived at ~1AM. The owner had prepared a set of keys for us and left them. The rooms were maintained but obviously old. The hostel itself was pretty chilly and cold, not too unexpected for Auckland. Overall, I think there are nicer places to stay in Auckland, but this place definitely provides some value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Read the reviews before we stayed and people claimed this as 'the best hostel they had stayed in' which motivated us to chose it for our two week transition in Auckland.

Our experience was the owner was friendly yet the place is tired and worn out, always had a dirty feel to it and was hard to relax in unless you have your own room.

Despite the owner claiming we could not stay more than a week as this place did not take 'long term renters' he allowed us to extend our stay on the first day. However, we were not in there longer than a week and that was pushing it. There was long termers hanging around all day in the lounge, some had passed out there from the night before. A year later we still see the same people unemployed people hanging around the lodge coming in and out. Anyway, back to what I was saying, the kitchen was always busy and it could be 9pm by the time we got to cook.

Furthermore, guests items had gone missing whilst we were there and that was the final straw.

Would I recommend it? Definitely not. If you like to hang around all day watching rubbish TV and smoking roll ups I reckon you would fit in. If not? I would not even bother!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auckland
City Garden Lodge
#56 of 114 in Auckland
K Road City Travelers Hostel
K Road City Travelers Hostel
#61 of 114 in Auckland

Been to Lantana Lodge Backpackers? Share your experiences!