“Average accommodation, sharp pricing,poor service”

Barclay Suites Auckland
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Average accommodation, sharp pricing,poor service”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is my 4th stay (former Chiefly Suites) over a number of years. Repeat visits attest to previous good experience, but this time will be my last. Stayed with hubby and parents in a 2 bedroom exec apartment. The good: price - NZD210 per night, two bathrooms, central location, beds (really comfy), self catering. The bad: long wait for lifts, the service, view (opposite courts), noise (no double glazing), no air-conditioning (but too noisy to have windows/doors open), Worst thing was arrogant and argumentative front desk staff and non-response to requests for extra towels (booking for 4 people, but only 3 towels (same problem both nights of our stay) and response on a polite request for a toaster to be bought up was to argue that there was one there, he hadn't looked properly, told my father to check again, he did so and responded definitely not there, then was told, we'll come up and check ... he was affronted and although widely travelled, had NEVER been treated so rudely by front desk service staff - left a very poor taste.

Room Tip: Higher floors away from Albert Street should help with noise issues. Deluxe 2 bedroom have better r...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nelcums
BarclaySuitesGM, General Manager at Barclay Suites Auckland, responded to this review, 17 April 2014

I thank you for staying with us 4 x previously, All suites here at Barclay Suites have portable heaters and fans (more can be provided on request)

All Barclay Suites are fully self contained with kitchenettes, White ware (Stainless steel) and washer/dryer, linen and comfortable beds.

All our hotel guest requests are actioned in a professional and timely manner ensuring this is done with the utmost respect to all guests, I am very surprised and disappointed to read your feedback.

Franz Staufer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Jurong, Singapore
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Got a free upgrade from 1 bedroom to 2 bedroom..very clean room..awesome..git the 24 floor suite..big balcony with awesome sights of auckland..got me by surprise why it does not comes with AC in room..only to know how chilly the weather is..10min walk to skytower n nearby shopping area.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hermanshah
BarclaySuitesGM, General Manager at Barclay Suites Auckland, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback Hermanshah,

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

All Barclay Suites have balconies with great views of Auckland City and the Waitemata Harbour, For our guests comfort all 1 and 2 bedroom suites have portable fans and heaters in each suite. (more can be delivered on request)

As you have mentioned Barclay Suites is close to most attractions including Bars, Restaurants and only 3-5 minutes Queen Street the main Shopping district.

I look forward to welcoming back to Barclay Suites soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Beautiful property, lovely appointments including washing machine/dryer and even dishwasher in kitchen, central location but a lot of street noise all night. I would suggest you ask to book a rear room away from the street

Room Tip: Ask for room at the rear to avoid news
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl B

I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Barclay Suites as you have mention has all Kitchen and Laundry Facilities with spacious 1 and 2 bedroom suites and we are centrally located in the heart of Auckland city.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Hilo, Hawaii
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We chose these apartments because if the location, price, and laundry facilities in the room.
What I didn't notice was that this place didn't have AC. Luckily it was fall and cool enough to open the windows and use the fans....unfortunately the bars below were open til 4:30 am on the weekend and were too loud to get any sleep.

Front desk staff was ok but the place was filthy. The halls weren't vacuumed the whole time we were there. Big cobwebs in the room show it wasn't properly cleaned in a long time. The most frustrating part was that the tv audio was 5-6 seconds behind the video which was quite confusing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hilo-Chris
BarclaySuitesGM, General Manager at Barclay Suites Auckland, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback Hilo Chris

Barclay Suites appreciates all guests’ feedback.

We have addressed your concerns during your stay.

Thank you for staying at Barclay Suites, We hope to see you again on your next visit to Auckland

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This is my second time at this hotel (I stayed here once before the name change). My impressions:

- apartments are huge and they have absolutely everything you could need
- wi fi works very well
- tv has a reasonable number of channels
- bed is comfortable
- bathroom is nice and they provide small bottles of shampoo, shower gel and cream

My only criticism would be the sign they put at the front which says "no guests allowed between 10pm and 7am" I hope they don't really enforce that rule since I believe that I have the right to have people over to visit me at any hour of the day.

Also to all those other reviewers complaining about the level of noise, that's the most ridiculous complaint I have ever heard! They do sell those things called ear plugs at any pharmacy, if you travel without them you only have yourself to blame since all cities have "noise"

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
BarclaySuitesGM, General Manager at Barclay Suites Auckland, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback Globetrotter_au1982,

As you have mentioned Barclay Suites has all you need for a comfortable and relaxing stay, spacious suites, great views and is located in the heart of Auckland City.

Barclay Suites is only minutes from Restaurants, Bars and just a short 5 minute walk down to Queen Street (Main Street of Auckland City) Being in the Central Business District we do experience street noise.

I look forward to welcoming you back for your 3rd stay with us.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 March 2014

It was probably my oversight, but I thought that Barclay was more a hotel, than serviced apartments before I booked. On the plus side, like the other reviewers have said, the location is perfect for those who want to be located in the the city center. The view of the city is awesome from the 23rd floor. The size of the apartment was great, with a bedroom, bathroom (and clothes washer), small kitchen and lounge. There were some downsides though. The wifi was problematic to say the least and the apartment in general was low tech. City noise was very evident, especially at night. (windows are single glazed). The one day peaked at 30 degrees during the day. As there is no aircon in the room, it remained unbearably hot throughout the night. The room decor was starting to feel tired, with a large broken tile in the kitchen, a dirty duvet cover, and grime covering the light switch and kettle. Ah yes, I forgot to mention the smell of stale fat throughout the lounge and kitchen, probably because the stove extractor fan had not been serviced.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank iamnewanda
BarclaySuitesGM, General Manager at Barclay Suites Auckland, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback Iamnawanda,

Thank you for staying with us I am glad you tried a Apartment style Hotel, we do have all facilities as you have listed in our spacious self contained suites.

All our suites have portable fans in all bedrooms extra fans can be brought to your room on request.

Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We get a 2 bedroom apartment on level 5. The apartment was clean, new, modern, very nice. The bedsheets were so smooth and silky, I can sleep for hours. The location is in the heart of city, very close to Elliott stables and a shopping mall. Although finding the free car parking was a headache, the Wilson pay parking was just behind the hotel. This hotel is great for group of friends or even family..just comfortable. Totally recommend this place for its price.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback Ms Floridajo,

I am glad that our suite exceeded your expectation with our spacious clean Suites our central location in the "heart of city" and yes I agree.... especially with our high quality linen!

As of mid last week, I am pleased to advise that Barclay Suites have our own reserved allocated Wilsons car parks which makes the parking situation easier.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.