“Small Rooms, Great Location”

Barclay Suites Auckland
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We spent 2 nights here and found the hotel to be in a great location. Just around the corner from Sky City, a supermarket was also just around the corner along with other shopping. Our room had 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms which was very good, however the bedrooms were so small we had to leave our suit cases in the lounge room which made it very cluttered. The staff were very friendly and helpful and if we needed anything they were only too happy to assist and tended to our queries immediately. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, however if you are looking for spacious rooms perhaps you should enquire with the hotel first.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
BarclaySuitesGM, General Manager at Barclay Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback Sheryl B,

Barclay Suites prides itself on being located in the heart of Auckland City, close to restaurants, bars, Queen street, Sky tower and public transport

All Suites are self contained with a full Kitchen and Laundry facilities with Suites ranging in size from 40 - 67 sqm.

I am very glad to read that our team were friendly and helpful during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Barclay Suites

Reviewed 27 June 2014

As Australian travellers we had previously had a disastrous experience at our booked accommodation in Auckland so were looking for something at shortish notice when we returned to Auckland for one night before flying home. We were very happy with our 2 bedroom apartment - the only issue we had was trying to dry clothes after using the washing machine. The staff were great - gave good advice about sourcing a meal and kindly booked our transport to the airport next day. They evened offered a late checkout when they discovered out flight did not leave until mid afternoon. The beds were really comfortable and shower pressure was great. Our apartment was on the 6th floor and very clean and tidy. The kitchen appeared to have reasonable supplies although we noticed there did not appear to be a frypan. The "open window" bit was easy to solve once we found the electric control on the wall by the window and closed it! Very easy walk to a couple of coffee shops and a bakery for breakfast and/or lunch. Close to other restaurants for evening meals although the walk to Victoria st is via quite a steep hill - don't plan to wear stilettos! Would happily stay here again. We stayed mid week and did not notice any street noise.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
BarclaySuitesGM, General Manager at Barclay Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Barclay Suites as you have mentioned has Kitchen and Laundry facilities with 1 and 2 bedroom spacious Suites, which are centrally located in the heart of Auckland city.

As you have written Barclay Suites is a "Very easy walk to a couple of coffee shops and a bakery for breakfast and/or lunch."

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Hotel was nice, staff were friendly. Very noisey as others mentioned the drunk crowd although not the hotels fault my main noise complaint was with the lift as this was making scratching noises outside the room all night not ideal. Two bathrooms which is a plus for 4 adults. Very close to everything in the city. Walls was marked with what seemed like black vivid. Another dissapointment was the coffeeshop downstairs was closed through the entire stay which was a shame as this was a bonus. I would reccomend for a short stay for needing to be in town. Great value for money however.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not next to the lift directly

Thank you for your feedback Kiwilee2013

Barclay Suites appreciates all guests’ feedback.

We have addressed your concerns during your stay.

Thank you for staying at Barclay Suites, We hope to see you again on your next visit to Auckland

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Disappointing guest service. The feedback we gave to one of the receptionists was not handled well at all and there was a lack of information at check-in which made us feel ripped off and it affected our whole stay. Being located in the middle of downtown sure is worth a lot (business wise) but that should not mean a let down on guest service which in my opinion is worth way more! We won't recommend anyone to stay there.

1  Thank ChicaSuiza

Thank you for your feedback ChicaSuiza

Barclay Suites appreciates all guests’ feedback.

We have addressed your concerns during your stay.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed 1 night here with our two children as we wanted to be close to Britomart to catch the train to Edenpark for the ABs game. Also wanted to be within walking distance to the Viaduct, Queen Street and the ferry terminal. These apartments are approx 400 metres from the waterfront so even if you have small children (as we do!) it isn't far to walk to go to some of the attractions of the CBD. Also worth mentioning there is a New World Metro round the corner from the apartments so it is easy to grab any snacks etc that might be required for your stay.
We booked the apartment through a travel website (can't remember which one) and realised that we hadn't requested a portacot for our baby when making the booking. Tried contacting Barclay Suites directly to request one but didn't do more than manage to leave a message which wasn't acknowledged (we didn't receive a response at least. Maybe they never received the message). On arrival at the building we asked if we could have a portacot and one was provided without any issue and once assembled proved to be one of the best I've used at a hotel. A small but important piece of equipment when travelling with a 5 month old baby so I was relieved that he was going to have a comfortable nights sleep! The rest of us found the bedrooms to be very comfortable; the beds are a decent size, pillows are not too soft or hard and the duvets are of the right tog for winter not to need additional blankets added to the bedding. Having 2 bathrooms in the 2 bedroom apartments was great; these were clean with plenty of toiletries and towels provided. No complaints there. We only used the kitchen for making hot drinks and so I can't really comment on how well supplied it was in terms of crockery and cutlery. I was impressed to find a washing machine in the apartment for the long term visitors. We didn't spend much time in the apartment other than to sleep there so do not know whether the entertainment facilities were adequate or not - I noted there wasn't a DVD player but the TV was a decent enough size considering the size of the lounge area.
The only downside of our stay was the noise from the street from about 2-3 a.m. as the clubs and pubs emptied out. This cannot be helped by the apartment owners, it is a fact of the location of the building and we knew this when we chose the suites. My husband put in ear plugs to sleep and my 4 year old slept through and I didn't find it a problem as I was up and down all night to a crying baby! We have already decided that if we need a place to stay in central Auckland again we would definately consider the Barclay Suites but would request a room on a higher floor to avoid the street noise. We were on the 9th floor and the noise was loud enough through single glazed windows.

Room Tip: Higher rooms might get less street noise (there are 25 floors to the building!)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Eleanor H
BarclaySuitesGM, General Manager at Barclay Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you Eleanor H for your feedback.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and it is always great reading that our guests want come back.

Thank you for your thorough description of our suites and services we cater from corporates to Families.

I look forward to welcoming you back o your next visit to Auckland.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

As many other have mentioned, this hotel is very convenient to everything in downtown Auckland but is also apparently right in the middle of action on weekend nights. I only spend one night here, a Saturday night, and the drunks and noise from outside was constant and loud from midnight until 5am. I had a room on the 5th floor, so higher floors might be better. But I was surprised at how loud and drunk the people outside were all night, even with the windows closed. The room itself was quite nice; clean, with plenty of hot water, with great water pressure. I got the room thru Orbitz, and had supposedly free internet, but they limited it to 200mb. Now a days, you can use that up easily. I had parked my car right next door in a Wilson car park, and it was only $9 for the night. I left early so not sure if that rate goes well into the morning. There was only one person at the reception, and while competent, he was quite busy, and could easily become overwhelmed if more than one group had problems. The reception area itself was very small, adjacent to the elevators. As others have mentioned, getting out of the elevator the concrete walls seems to give a somewhat cold feeling, but again, the rooms were fine. Being on the 5th floor, I had only a view of other buildings and courtyard. I cannot blame the hotel for the noise outside, but it did tend to harm my short experience here. Not sure if the noise is as bad during the week, but surely be prepared for it if you stay on weekends. Otherwise, for what the hotel charged me thru Orbitz, I was pleased with my stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
BarclaySuitesGM, General Manager at Barclay Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Barclay Suites is located in the Heart of Auckland city close to everything eg Sky Tower Restaurants, Bars and Public Transport. We do experience the inner city public street noise, however this is out of our control and we are working with local council to get this reduced.

I look forward to welcoming you back in Auckland.