“overnight first stay”

Barclay Suites Auckland
Reviewed 27 August 2014

booked a two bedroom suite which was excellent. nice and roomy with a seperate bathroom each. very very handy to everything including buses and restaurant. Thank you to Janine on reception who downloaded bus info. Altogether a very enjoyable stay. lovely suite. I especially liked the balcony.

Room Tip: book a suite with balcony
Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
BarclaySuitesGM, General Manager at Barclay Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Thank you for your feedback Jennsaigon,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience here at Barclay Suites.

Barclay Suites is located in the heart of Auckland City, close to most facilities (Skycity, supermarkets, public transport, Queen St, Harbour )

We pride ourselves on our clean spacious self contained Suites and our friendly team members who are here to assist with all our guest requests, Great to read that our Suite ambassador Janine helped you with your bus info.
All Suites have a private balcony with great views! as you have mentioned of the Sky Tower which is only a few minutes walk from Barclay Suites.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Excellent location, good value for money.
Booked an executive apartment with two bedrooms and two bathrooms
Excellent location. The Sky tower is literally next door. Queen street and Hobson street on either side, several grocery shops (including Indian grocery) as well as Pizza Hut, Starbucks, Subway and McDonalds within 5-10 minute walking distance, airport bus stops nearby. Sky City Coach terminal is also very close.
Well furnished and spacious apartment. Everything was as advertised. Washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, fridge freezer, hob, iron, ironing board, two TVs etc. Regular supply of tea, coffee and hot chocolate as well as washing and diswasher powder. Good views of Sky tower, especially at night and the Auckland harbour.
Smooth check in and checkout. Very polite and helpful staff.
On the negative side- fitting and fixtures are very old. Dishwasher was not working which was fixed promptly. Broken door knob, no lamp in the fridge etc. Staff were very responsive and arranged repairs. But these things can be checked and fixed beforehand.
Heating was suboptimal. Only one heater in the living room. No heating in the bedrooms. When asked, a small portable heater and two blankets were promptly provided. An apartment in Auckland should be better heated than this.
Auckland free wifi is accessible just outside the hotel!
Overall, excellent location, helpful staff and very good value for money. Would use again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback Leedsxray,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience here at Barclay Suites.

We pride ourselves on our clean spacious self contained Suites and our friendly team members who are here to assist with all our guest requests, All Suites have a private balcony with great views!

There are portable heaters available on request to ensure you have a enjoyable warm stay.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed for 3 nights with my sister in July. Arrived very late but reception was still open and check in was very easy.
Stayed in deluxe one bedroom suite, and staff put in two single beds as requested. Suite was huge with two comfy sofas, fully equipped kitchen (oven, hobs, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, cutlery, cooking utensils etc). Everything was really modern which was great.
Beds were very comfortable and the hotel was very quiet. The only problem was that the suite was freezing, with only one small electric heater for the whole apartment!
Location is right round the corner from the SkyTower which was perfect for us.
Quite a big downside in this day and age is the lack of free wifi (and to pay for wifi was very expensive!!). Other than that, we had a great stay and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank llew27
BarclaySuitesGM, General Manager at Barclay Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience here at Barclay Suites.

As you have mentioned Barclay Suites is located in the heart of Auckland City, close to most facilities - (Skycity, supermarkets, public transport, Queen St, Harbour )

We pride ourselves on our clean spacious self contained Suites and our friendly team members who are here to assist with all our guest requests, All Suites have private balcony with great views!

All our Suites have portable heaters and extra eaters can be requested from one of our helpful Suite ambassadors. We are reviewing our WIFI rates currently.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

After a week's stay I waited a few days to write this review. It was initially going to be very harsh, but time has moderated some of my discontent.

One thing to keep in mind is that this property is a serviced apartment, not a hotel. That means you get a few more facilities in your room, but not much service. I think my expectations were a little mismatched.

I stayed in a 1BR apartment. The living room was a good size, the bathroom/laundry was similarly large, but the bedroom was tiny. Even my shoebox apartment in Singapore has more room around the bed.

An oddity was the presence of a refrigerator in the middle of the lounge area. It appears that the normal refrigerator is broken, and rather than remove and replace it, they have simply plonked another on the floor. Perhaps it is temporary, but it shows a lack of attention to detail.

The bed. Urgh. I just want to forget the bed. It is two small singles zipped together, and they're not in the greatest shape. If you like to move around during the night you will HATE this bed. I saw an earlier response from hotel management that the zipped beds have a mattress overlay. They don't, I pulled the bed apart to check. All that was between me and the dreadful mattresses was a thin, poorly fitted protector and a sheet.

What I can't forget is the cleaning. Or lack thereof. I stayed on the 13th floor, and I think the common area was vacuumed ONCE during my stay. I know, because it became a game to look for the same pieces of litter, in the same place, each day. Worse, there is a large stain that looks like someone has tried to soak up something nasty with an absorbent, and simply couldn't be bothered cleaning up the mess.

My room was not vacuumed at all during my stay, nor were floors cleaned. In fact, the tiled floor in front of the kitchenette has probably not been cleaned for a very long time, and the collection of stains would send a forensic team into a frenzy of delight. All that was done during daily "housekeeping" was to pick up the towels from the floor, toss some replacements on top of the washing machine (not even hang/place them properly), then make a vague attempt at straightening the bed. My ten year old daughter, at her most rebellious, does a better job of bed making.

Something unusual happened one night. There was a knock at the door, announcing someone from housekeeping with an iron, that someone had "requested". I didn't call for a replacement, the old iron was fine, but it wasn't until I went to iron later that night that I discovered a perfectly good iron had been replaced by a dirty, leaking piece of crap. Note to hotel ... get your replacement equipment from your store, not from another guest's room!

There is no room service, no restaurant, and no breakfast facilities in this hotel. There are three downstairs coffee shops adjacent, and restaurants nearby, but no charge-back facility according to reception.

This COULD be a good property, but only if they retrain the housekeepers, or replace them with someone who gives a damn. Management definitely needs to pay a lot more attention to standards.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank RonDunn

Barclay Suites appreciates all guests’ feedback.

We have addressed your concerns during your stay.

Thank you for staying at Barclay Suites, We hope to see you again on your next visit to Auckland

Regards

Reviewed 18 August 2014

have previously stayed when it was Chifley Suites.An excellent choice for space, price,and location. We were upgraded to a 2 bedroom ,2 bathroom apartment, which had lots of space,a great choice for families or groups of friends.The beds are excellent, the bed lights for reading are too. low, the water pressure is both hot and excellent and the towels thick.The unit was however was quite cold and although heaters were supplied due to the size of the apartment were unable to heat it well. I feel they should install heat pumps, as this is the only area this hotel fails in. Overall excellent stay, will definitely stay again, our hotel of choice when we are in Auckland.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback Travelpro5,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience here at Barclay Suites.

We pride ourselves on our clean spacious self contained Suites and our friendly team members who are here to assist with all our guest requests, All Suites have private balcony with great views.

All our Suites have portable heaters and extra heaters are available on request from one of our helpful Suite Ambassador.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Our first stay at Barclay Suites: was centrally situated, clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. We were here for a particular theatre experience and having flown in found this site accessible to a huge variety of experiences and restaurants, all within walking distance or on the great bus system around Auckland.
Brad on reception was cheerful and helpful. Helped us find our bus tour to Hobbiton. Booked our trip and gave excellent brief on trip - soooo helpful. Nothing was too much trouble.
This chap is a keeper Barclay; don't let him go !

Room Tip: Choose a room facing Albert St and Harbour, beautiful views, sunny and if up high, not noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Barclay Suites while travelling for business in Auckland. My 15 night stay was OK. Good location, close to everything. However, the amenities leave a lot to be desired. Wifi is outrageous for what you get, when there is free or very cheap internet available in the area *DON'T GET THE HOTEL WIFI!* The cleaners never left me enough toilet paper (My package only came with weekly cleaning), and there is no central heating or air. A few quite cold nights, and I would image the summer months could get really hot. The staff were all friendly and really helpful. For a 15 night stay, I would have hoped that they would give me a room on a higher floor, but I was on the 3rd floor. I could hear all the traffic and noise on the weekends.

Hotel would be good for a couple of nights, but I wouldn't recommend it for business travelers.

Room Tip: Above level 5 or you will hear all the noise and people on the streets.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback nicolehender,

Barclay Suites appreciates all guests’ feedback

We have addressed your concerns during your stay.

Regards