“Better than a lot in Auckland”
Review of Attic Backpackers

Attic Backpackers
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Very good location and slightly cheaper than mainstream places such as Base. The walls are a little thin and our window didn't close properly so listening to the noises from outside was frustrating. Reception staff mostly helpful and friendly. kitchen area is just too small to cope with groups of people, there is one microwave, few work surfaces and you'll fine people darting around each other in frustration quite a lot. Washing / drying is $3 each which is cheaper than other hostels. Overall its a good hostel and pride is taken in it. With some more work here and there it will get better I have no doubt, good luck. 3.5 / 10.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
PonsonbyBackpackers1, Manager at Attic Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for your comments. It's good to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hostel and our helpful and friendly staff. We are sorry to hear that you had problems with your window, it would have been helpful if you'd let us know during your stay and we could've got the problem fixed straight away, we will definitely take a look into this. In comparison to other larger hostels, our kitchen is actually quite spacious and we have made improvements to it since we opened the hostel and will continue to do so. Your comments are helpful, we are always continuing and striving to improve so thank you. I am assuming that you meant 3.5/5 not 10? Since that's what you have scored us on tripadvisor? ;-) Hope to see you next time, enjoy your NZ adventures.

Cheers, The Attic Team

There are newer reviews for Attic Backpackers

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

The problem with finding something as great as a nice hostel in a place like Auckland is that a part of you doesn't want to tell anyone about it! I originally stayed at base (pretty poor!!) then was gone for a few days and was just passing through for one short night and was desperate for somewhere nicer and not far from the Intercity bus station and am so glad I booked the attic! I'm not a fan of lifts at the best of times so the ancient one to get yp to the hostel was not great but once inside I was delighted! The front desk staff was lovely and gave me a full tour despite the fact that it was already quite late in the evening and I would be leaving at te crack of dawn the next morning! So although I didn't use te krchen it was in good condition, the whole place is clean and modern! The bathroom was great, nice toilets and showers and a girly area with mirrors and straighteners and such. The bedroom was really comfortable and clean and I had a great night's sleep. The only thing I'm unsure about is the lockers being in a separate room, i guess this keeps the dorms clear but it must be a bit inconvenient for the day to day! I would more than happily say there again!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments! It's great to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Upon check in, we offer all of our guests a tour of the hostel so that you can feel at home and know where everything is, this is important for us :-) We check our kitchen and bathrooms every hour to ensure they are always kept clean and tidy and we are glad you liked the ''girly area'' in the female bathrooms! We keep the lockers in a separate room for several positive reasons, firstly it keeps our dorm rooms nice and spacious, the locker room has a security camera in it so it's extra safe and it eliminates noise in the rooms late into the night or early in the morning with people retrieving their belongings :-) It would be great to see you again, so be sure to visit us on your next stay in Auckland! Enjoy NZ,

Cheers, The Attic Team

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We had a few awkward requests as we were arriving late and leaving early, these were all completed perfectly and proficiently! Friendly hostel, we made friends while we were here and ended up doing things with others at the hostel. Clean, comfy beds. Got given an internet voucher at check in but we seemed to be able to use it for a lot longer than the 3 hours it stated. Would definitely recommend!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
PonsonbyBackpackers1, Manager at Attic Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thanks for making time to leave us a review, We love helping guests out beyond the call. Safe travels, The Attic Team.

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Pro's: Friendly, helpful staff, clean and spacious! I was travelling solo for the first time and loved it here. Big bathrooms and good shower pressure. Cool entrance with the old school elevator! Quiet enough even though it was a great central location!
Con's: phone wasn't working couple times but internet was fine enough.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thanks for leaving us a review, We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, And apologies for your issues with the phone, This has been since rectified.
The Attic Team

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed at The Attic during a recent business trip. I had a single private room which was small, but adequate for my needs and at a price that couldn't be beaten.
I was also impressed by the location. You couldn't ask for a more central backpackers. It is close to everything, a few minutes walk to the supermarket, sky tower and downtown Auckland.
The place was clean and the kitchen was large with everything I needed.
The reception staff were friendly, and went above and beyond to help me with a few questions I had for them.
No complaints at all. I would recommend The Attic to anyone considering a stay in Auckland.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for making time to leave us a detailed review. We are stoked to find that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, And look forward to your return next time.
The Attic Team.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

The hostel I located in the fifth floor of an old building in the city centre near Queen Street. I really liked my stay here at the Attic. The beds were really comfortable and clean, the staff could not have been nicer or any more helpful, and of course it is located right in the city centre. There is a well/stocked and clean kitchen available. The WiFi is not free, but you receive a free voucher for 24 hours of internet use upon check-in.

There are enough showers, toilets and kitchen utensils that I never had to wait for anything, even though the hostel was fully booked.
The only thing that might count as a negative was that the showers could have profited from more frequent cleaning. I do understand, however, that with the hostel fully booked, the showers are highly frequented, and so they might not look as nice after some use even if they get cleaned daily.

There are lots of amenities including a deck with a barbeque, a TV room, a lounge room, a locker room, and a storage room for your baggage after check-out.

Altogether, my stay at the Attic was vey enjoyable and I would definitely choose it again.

Room Tip: I found the rooms with uneven numbers to be a bit more quiet during the night, as they get less nois...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thanks for making time to leave a great review, We spent a lot of time planing our hostel layout and facilities. Enjoy the rest of your Nz trip and look forward to your return.
The Attic Team

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Fantastic location, super clean, great facilities (Mega comfy beds!) and the friendliest most helpful staff ever. Not a bad word to say about this place except for I wish I had stayed longer. Would recommend to all.

• Stayed: November 2013
PonsonbyBackpackers1, Manager at Attic Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to leave your excellent feedback! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are very grateful to learn that you enjoyed our cleanliness, facilities, staff and comfy beds! Please do come back and see us again should you return to Auckland, enjoy your NZ adventures! Thanks, The Attic Team