“Ok for a night or two”

Bamber House Hostel
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Ok for a night or two”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Lovely building, kitchen was well equipped and staff were friendly, we stayed in a room in the ground floor and felt like the hostel needed some more toilets downstairs, plus it always smelled of cigarettes in the toilet, maybe coming from the outdoor smoking area. The room was fine, nice to have electricity plugs on a timer to save power. Compared to other BBH hostels in NZ we expected more based on the 88% rating.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Rangiora, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Bamber House was in a nice area and really close to town. It was cleaned regulary. The other guests were generally friendly and quiet. I was in the 3 bed dorm which wasn't too big or too small. The kitchen had everything I needed. The supermarket and bus stop are close by. I had a really good time and would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

My friend and I shared a twin private room. It was comfortable and clean, with 200mb of free wifi on arrival. The wifi was pretty pricey if you blew through that and were sticking around for longer but worked well for us.

Location was a bit out of the way but it benefits with plenty of free parking and if you have a car as we did it's not difficult to get to the cbd.

Beautiful old house but with well maintained toilet, shower and kitchen facilities. Had a lot of information for things to do around Auckland and the guy at reception was friendly enough.

Only stayed one night but it was quiet and hassle-free. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again on a return to Auckland.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Bamber House is indeed a beautiful and very spacious house in the Mount Eden area of Auckland. It has bright airy rooms and large common areas and whilst its a long-ish walk into town, its not too long, and you can always get the bus should you choose. There's a big supermarket around the corner and Mount Eden is at the top of the road...I can certainly recommend taking a little walk up for a sunset one evening.

For me however, I just felt the house really lacked atmosphere despite the large communal areas. The staff aren't really around that much either which often makes a big difference when it comes to hostel experiences. If you are travelling as a couple or in a group, I suspect you will have a better experience, but I would probably look elsewhere if you are travelling solo.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank randallml
Wanaka, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 February 2014

the hostel was in a a nice area however nothing really to do there so found myself spending money to get into centre all time. wifi was 200 for $20 but did get free $200 when checked in but didnt seem to matter how long you stayed for though. beds were average quality. when checked in arrived early but no where to store luggage but then signs up everywhere saying lock your belongings away which meant after being told to leave out stuff in hall way became little concerning. the cleaning staff do seem to be working really hard and seemed like given alot to do in little time therefore things were not cleanest. also arrived at a time the office should be open and no one was at reception or anywhere to be found which was confusing and weird.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank chelle323
Thames, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed here a few days after arriving in Auckland. Friendly staff, but you don't see much of them. We had a private room, which was nice and clean and comfortable. Can't comment on shared rooms as we didn't see any. Good communal spaces and facilities. Worked well for a reasonably priced place to crash and get over jet-lag after a long flight.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Had a rental car and was in dominion road area and needed place to stay as I wanted to go to the Clare inn Irish bar
First night,there was a long haired nice guy in his early thirtys at reception
Offered me a twin room to myself for a good price
All good
Great free wifi and all facilities if needed
Good room, bed and shower
No tv though
Next evening after a long drive north I was in the same area and tried again
Some concert and rugby was on and the city had heardly any rooms left
This time I was talking to a cranky dark haired woman in her early thirtys who I think is the manageress
No rooms , ok no worries
It was around 8 pm
I asked her could I use the wifi to check for rooms elsewhere
Or the computer
She also told me the backpackers nearby was full but they had one room left on hostelbookers which I just missed as had to find Internet cafe No way would she let me use wifi so I end up driving to an Internet cafe
Nothing much online except the room in pent lands that after I booked it they rang me to tell me they had given it away!
Eventually after two hours checking motels
I found a motel on great south road
Called budget motel, very good place
So in short the manageress needs to improve her attitude and not have an attitude of we are full so go away !

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo