“No frills basic clean hotel”

City Travellers Auckland
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The rooms were clean but the fittings are getting a bit tired. The manager was really helpful and the location is brilliant for the Uni, ferry terminal, Queen Street and the harbour area. The rooms were well equipped if you wanted to use it as a base for a long period and self cater. Not sure if we would use it as a base with young children.

Room Tip: Rooms on the road front can be a bit noisy from the road traffic.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for City Travellers Auckland

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed here for 10 nights in one of the studio apartments, the rooms are nicely furnished with cooking facilities, flatscreen tv and linen and towels are provided.
The room rates are very affordable and so is the wi-fi.
Very handy location with Queen Street less than 10 mins walking and Countdown around the corner.
The staff here are very friendly and helpful, especially the manager who went out of his way to make us as comfortable as possible, which was greatly appreciated.
Stay here if you are looking for affordable accommodation in the city centre.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed here due to a very cheap deal on wotif - I was arriving late and just needed a bed for the night.

It was pretty much what I expected and what anyone should expect for a budget 2 star place. I anticipated there wouldn't be toiletries and a flannel for example. Towels were provided.

I had emailed ahead to check about late night access and no problem there, the signage by the door was clear about what to do. The night manager guy was pleasant and friendly.

I stayed in a self contained room. No aircon so I'd advise against staying in the warmer months unless you are OK with keeping windows open and whatever noise might be outside.

The curtains were a downside, very thin, and I noticed a review on another website that mentioned this as well.

The toilet cistern had an audible dripping sound, I played around with it a bit thinking I'd fixed it, but no luck.

The shower door slider was missing a panel (see picture). Then again many hotel/motel showers aren't totally enclosed, and I'm not the one that has to clean up the water on the floor.

Lastly, and most annoying, when I was brushing my teeth someone (presumably housekeeping) actually unlocked and opened the room door about 9:45am. I didn't hear a knock first.

They didn't come in as they would have seen that my bag and shoes were there and they would have realised I hadn't checked out.

But I'd still stay again in the same circumstances of just needing a bed, if I got it cheap enough.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2013

For such a great deal we were happy with our experience, friendly welcome on arrival and the lobby was quiet and clean. Our studio room didn't have a view but very comfortable bed, good cooking facilities and we ditched the rental car to walk around the CBD with everyone so close. Try the Japanese restaurant just down the hill - fantastic eating for under $10!

Room Tip: Large studio please every time!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I'm over from South Africa (have been here for a month) and wanted to surprise my wife for her birthday and take her away for a few nights. Due to excahange rate we looked for something cost effective and ended up booking with them. I did call a couple times before making a booking about a few queries.

I made my depoist and a few days before being due to book in called to ask if we could park there early and spend time in town before booking in, only at this stage was I advised that there was no parking so I had to park at a parking lot, this cost per day was almost the same as my room. We therefore could not afford to make the trip anymore.

I feel that this could have been conveyed more clearly on the website or to me when calling for my various queries.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I went to a concert at Vector Arena, and booked with City Travellers because it was nearby.
Although the staff were pleasant and easy to deal with, the room had clearly not been cleaned, a few strands of hair were clearly visible on the floor, which left me wondering if the sheets had been changed since it's last guests!
Also, I paid a 10% deposit on booking, but had to be given another room because of some problem with the one I booked, the deposit is non-refundable, so even though I had to stay in a cheaper room, I still paid the deposit for the original room which cost more, which was annoying to say the least.

All in all, a great location handy to Vector Arena, and very cheap, but it would definitely be worth the extra walk and extra money to book elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Dirty and filthy. I am no clean freak but I doubt my room was cleaned at all. Possibly vacumed. Had to wait half an hour to check in because reception staffer was eating dinner ( informed of this by another man drinking a beer). This was 5 o'clock reception closes at 6. When I left about six guests waiting while being informed that reception guy was just having a smoke! Don't bother staying, mould and dirt in my room. Big hole in the bench where cook top should be, only 2 lights worked no lights in kitchen.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family