“The Elliott "made" my visit to Auckland”
Review of The Elliott Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Auckland
The Elliott Hotel
Ranked #43 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
San Francisco
“The Elliott "made" my visit to Auckland”
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Think "19th century fully furnished single apartment", right in the heart of Auckland and walking distance to everything. The rooms are *huge* with ridiculously high ceilings (14 foot?!). They have in-room kitchenettes that are fully furnished, so you could eat in every meal. There's no bathtub, but the bathrooms are quite fine. You won't find your standard hotel accommodations, like fitness rooms, in-hotel restaurants, concierge service, etc. But this really is an outstanding hotel for location, space and value. And if you don't want to cook in the room, you won't go hungry. There are tons of great restaurants everywhere.

And, you're one block away from Giapo's!!

When I go to new cities, I usually want to get out of the hotel as much as absolutely possible. I can't remember the last time I was on a trip, where I looked forward to coming back to my room as much as I did here at the Elliott. If I ever get the chance to come back to Auckland (and I hope I do), I won't even think of staying anywhere else. If I did, I'm sure I'd be disappointed.

I loved staying here so much, that I really didn't want to go home ...

Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank vagabiztravlr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We stayed here during the Rugby World Cup 2011, and this seemed to be the only hotel left available that had not hiked it's prices up ridiculously!.
It is an absolutely beautiful old building, done up very nicely, and the "Executive Studio" we stayed in was wonderful. It contained a king sized bed, two seater couch & TV, small dining table and chairs, plus desk and chair. The kitchen area had everything one would want, and there was a washing machine and dryer in the bathroom.
It was large, spacious, beautifully decorated, with full maid service every day.
Perfect location, right downtown on Elliott St, just a few steps down the hill to Queen St, bus stops, etc. And less than that to cafes, bars, shops, etc. It's a 5-10 minute walk to the university, 10 mins to the waterfront, 5 mins to the sky tower.
Very happy with our stay, not a single complaint, would definitely go back!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Summery1
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I was hesitant to book for more than one night due to the other reviews about noise but I'm pleased to report we ended up staying an extra 2 nights without incident, we didn't require the earplugs reception can provide. Admittedly as expected in a heritage building the plumbing was a little noisy & we heard the odd bang or scrape from the apartment above but nothing major, perhaps it helped that we were in a room that was above the rear carpark rather than right on the street.

Great helpful check in with friendly guy on reception. There were roadworks going on outside which made it a bit confusing as to where we could park to unpack but once we were inside we were quickly given directions and a map to parking (extra $15pn for park).

Stayed here with my fiance for a long weekend bit of a business & pleasure combined and we were both happy with the room. We were in an executive suite which was really quite beautiful with it's decorative high ceilings and dark furniture it easily lends itself to romance but was also brilliant central location for me to attend my workshop.

Room was serviced daily with no issues and nice little touches like a sewing kit and shower cap which I've noticed in recent times seem to be disappearing from hotel service. We also thought we may have lost a cell phone in the room and housekeeping were very helpful in thoroughly searching with us including pulling out furniture. We also called for housekeeping for assistance with opening our safe, housekeeping staff were very nice and reception was quick to action request.

We loved the rabbit warren staircases, our favourite part of the stay was an "älice in wonderland" moment where we opened a non descript door to find a vibrant artisan food alley behind.

A couple of issues worth mentioning though are the carpark and the king bed. If you arrive back late the access through Elliot Stables is locked so you will have to walk up a dark lane, probably wouldn't have done it if I were alone. The king bed is two singles pushed together so you can end up slipping in the gap in the night.

Overall a great value (@$155 NZD pn) hotel right in town with great little bars and restaurants in the same building. We willl definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flynkiwi
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Stayed here for a week back in February. This place was easy to find and walking distance to the conference venue, town hall and shopping area.
There were several options for eating downstairs in the elliott stables though these were slightly more expensive, though you don't have to go far to find many other options nearby.
Overall the experience was good, large 1 bedroom apartment with amenities, clean and air conditioned. The only negative would be that it was noisy because of the nearby Irish pub and it's karaoke nights but otherwise a pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 February 2011

I thought the Elliott street hotel was a charming place to stay, for the price we payed we got more than most hotels at this price, it was like staying in an apartment rather than a small hotel room. It had its own kitchen with everything you need to cook, even had its own washing machine and dryer. There are 2 sides to this hotel, the street side ( if you want to watch the world go buy and dont mind a little noise) and then the back side that looks onto a courtyard (very quiet).

loved the room and decor and will come back to this hotel again as the location is right in the middle of everything.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank zealand_green
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Yes, its noisy. Lets get that out of the way first. This is a Heritage Hotel that is unable BY NZ LAW to install double glazing or other noise prevention devices (its in the Hotel Handbook, if you care to read it). They also suggest you use 'good old fashioned earplugs', which is exactly what we did, and the whole family (including an 8 week old baby) slept like, well, babies. I've lived in the city much of my life, and don't mind traffic and human noise - it makes me feel alive. No hotel is perfect, and this one has noise to deal with being in the absolute heart of Auckland's 'fun' disctrict. I suggest you get used to that before you come, or definitely stay elswhere.

The hotel itelf is period, and beautiful, from Reception right through the corridors to your front room door. The rooms are fashionable, in keeping with the heritage theme, well fitted out, have excellent linen and coverings, a high quality finish with original (almost antique) furniture and offer excellent value. The location is absolutely superb (shopping at Smith & Caugheys or Queen Street strip, Civic Theatre for 'RENT', good eating all around, high-end bottleshops, dairys, Sky City Casino, a busy taxi rank, all 1-2 mins walk from your room) and the apartments have all mod-cons so you can comfortably cook a big meal right in your room and entertain guests, with the fully stocked kitchen and huge fridge at your service.

The service could do with a look - the front desk are efficient and helpful, and room service is fine, but perhaps some recognition of previous customers could be built into their computer systems? Coming in and being addressed as a stranger, when you have stayed before, is slightly off-putting. But otherwise, they do a fine job. We had no problems with room servicing, given we were out of the room 3-4 hours a day from 10am onwards.

Get an executive suite (ask for a discount at Reception) and live it up - superb.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 December 2009

Checked in, no help with luggage because they couldn't be bothered and then on 2nd night, got broken in to (while I was asleep!) and handbag stolen! Everything gone, when reported to reception at 7.30am was told that staff that no one could access my floor and maybe I should search again! Turns out my bag turned up in a room 6 doors down minus everything - aparently master keys had been stolen but they didn't bother to change any locks. Inside job???? Management were not even sorry, a joke! The hotel is noisy and not a 4 star standard, the cleaning - I think the house keepers just look at the room and pretend - Never ever stay at the Elliott hotel

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business