Three of us stayed at the Waldorf Stadium in a 2 bedroom apartment for a week over Christmas 2013. We had a room on the top (10th) floor, at the rear of the hotel. It was quiet, and we had some glimpses of the harbour (although the main view is of an unattractive car park, and other apartments).
The apartment was stylish and very well appointed, with air-con, washing machine, dishwasher, microwave, oven and a two-element hotplate, as well as other usual kitchen facilities. Staff were helpful, and it’s only 100 metres from a huge 24/7 Countdown supermarket, which makes self-catering a breeze. It’s also a short walk to the Britomart and Waterfront restaurant areas. There’s also a quite reasonable Vietnamese restaurant underneath the hotel.
However, there were a few negatives that we encountered which reduces it from the 5 star rating we would have otherwise given it.
Most annoying was the fact that in-room internet isn’t free (although there is free internet in the lobby), and even with the paid service we found it being frequently throttled back to dialup speed, or dropping out altogether. We paid for the corporate service to allow the use of up to four devices but often struggled to get one connected. We were offered an Ethernet cable to use, but it wasn’t compatible with our MacBook Airs. To their credit, the hotel didn’t charge us for what access we could get.
Whether this had anything to do with being on the top floor we’re not sure, but the hotel really needs to realise that people expect fast and free internet as standard these days, and upgrade their service accordingly.
The smaller second bedroom also lacked a little, with no bedside table or lamp - in fact the only light switch was behind the wardrobe near the door, which meant you needed to get out of bed and negotiate your way around the desk that is also crammed into the smaller bedroom. The bathroom also has one of those fans that comes on after about 30 seconds, and stays on for some minutes after the bathroom light is switched off. This can be annoying for someone sleeping in the adjacent second bedroom.
We also had a little difficulty dealing with a number of staff at the Waldorf Central Reservations desk online, as English language skills seemed to be somewhat limited. Parking is also expensive at $18/night (in the Vector Arena public car park).
Overall we’d recommend this place, particularly if hotel internet access isn’t important to you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waldorf Stadium is the Waldorf Group's premiere apartment hotel in New Zealand. Situated in the heart of Auckland City, these luxury self contained apartments offer guests high quality accommodation close to all of the attractions Auckland City has to offer. Self cater in your spacious apartment, with a large 24hr Supermarket located across the road from Waldorf Stadium, or enjoy one of the many dining options Auckland City has to offer. Britomart, just 400m away is Auckland's newest entertainment precinct and is home to boutique and international fashion stores, and some of the best restaurants and bars the city has to offer. Vector Arena Auckland's 12,000 seat venue is a short stroll from Waldorf Stadium, as are the recently developed Waterfront areas, Queen Street and Auckland's Transport Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotelopia, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stadium Waldorf Apartments Auckland
- Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel Auckland, New Zealand