“A great way to see some great spots and learn an a lot too!”
Review of Mohio Tours - CLOSED

Mohio Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Mohio Tours, (formerly Potiki Adventures), are tourism award-winning specialists in Auckland sightseeing, with an indigenous flavour. Offering small group & customised private tours. We started the original Auckland Maori Tours, over 6.5 years later our innovative tours range from introductions to contemporary Maori culture & beautiful local landscapes, through to ‘Insider Guide’ city tours & specialist private art tours. Daily tours - maximum 7 people. Lonely Planet Guidebook - ‘Top 10 Maori Experience’. Enviro-Silver accredited.
Reviewed 10 November 2010

I booked the urban Maori tour thinking that it would be a great way of seeing some areas outside the city without having to rent a car. I got a lot more than I bargained for and had a fantastic day out!

Our guide for the day was Melissa who is brimming with knowledge and is full of good chat too. Just a small group on this occassion and we got the added bonus of visiting a real Kiwi melting pot - the Saturday market. We took in an art gallery, then visited One Tree Hill which is so picturesque and has a great story too.

In the afternoon we went over to Piha beach which not only is a great destination, but is a treat to go to through the rainforest and it's undulating lanes. We saw a big wood pigeon and once you reach the beach it's a real treat - bars of black magnetic sand and an ice cream - of course!

All in all a great way to spend a day, very eye opening and much like everywhere in NZ, the people are what make it. Thanks for everything Melissa!

Potiki_Aotearoa, Owner at Mohio Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2010

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your tour. I hope the rest of your trip around Aotearoa went well. It was a great small group we had that day, it's nice when like-minded people meet up. I certainly love all the spots we visited that day, and love the chance to take visitors to them as well. Keep in touch and enjoy living in Aussie - hopefully we'll see you again if your sister moves out there too!

Reviewed 9 November 2010

Went on the K’Road gallery tour last weekend and it was fantastic. I’ve lived in Auckland for many years and am no stranger to K’Road but I really had no idea there were so many art galleries. Thanks to Mohio Tours for lifting the cover of a wonderful area and reminding me what a great city we live in.

Ahhh it's so awesome when a local Aucklander goes on one of our tours and then posts great feedback! It was a pleasure to host the K'Road Art Week Gallery tour, and I was more than happy to give you all a unique insight into an area that you already know. It's all about scratching the surface and finding out what's new and unique. This city has so many hidden gems! Perhaps we'll see you on one of our other tours soon?

Reviewed 5 November 2010

I spent a day with Maori Tours, and can say it was one of the best experiences I had in New Zealand. Melissa is part Maori and a brilliant person. Her extensive knowledge of her own culture, and where best to experience it made for a delightful day. We went to the War memorial where we saw many Maori exhibits and dancing, went to the Beach that had magnetic sand, and visited the forest. Melissa also has extensive knowledge of New Zealand plants and birds, which she shared with us on the tour. I can sincerely say if you go on a tour with Mohio Tours, it will be an entertaining, educational and amazing day.

Thank you for your review! It is always fantastic to spend a tour with someone who is so interested in what we have to say, and eager to learn and compare other travelling experiences. I guess we do know our stuff about contemporary culture, because we live it every day, but the value of the tour is always maximised when visitors are truly curious and engage - so thank you for being one of those clients!

Reviewed 30 October 2010

Really enjoyed the tour even though it was only 7 degrees, windy and wet the day we were off. I found it useful later during my N.Z. adventure to have a bit of a grounding in Maori culture and policy as well as Maori history. As the Waitangi Treaty Grounds (Paihia) have absolutely wasted a great opportunity to promote Maori and English joint history I'm glad I had some info about the treaty from Melissa as the it popped up in conversations throughout my trip. Also amused myself while on buses by looking at hills to see if they might have been terrassed a long time ago. Next time in Auckland I'm doing the "culture tour"!

Hi there, thank you for taking the time out of your travels to write us a review!
I'm happy that the information that you learnt on the tour provided a foundation for the rest of your travels in Aotearoa - NZ, that certainly is an aim of ours. I too am someone that is not the type to go on tour buses when I travel, so that is why I prefer to have our tours run the way we do - with only a maximum of 7 people on tour! That way we can really get to know each other, ask more questions etc. Hopefully next time you return to NZ you will get better weather! Hopefully we'll see you on the Insider's Guide tour then ;-)

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 October 2010

it has been an awesome experience...no doubt it is one of the best tour that I have done!
with a only few hours you can get an interesting background about maori culture and how it is surviving in the "kiwi" society
I liked so much how Michelle and Melissa shared experiences, knowlenges and the maori energie in this urban maori experience tour

Ka kite ano (see you again) n thaks to share with me part of your ancients!

Nayana, Barcelona (Spain)

Kia ora! I am so happy that you enjoyed your day with Michelle, and it was lovely to meet you too! We love sharing our personal stories and experiences about being of Maori descent, and how that connects us to the land, and our ancestors, so I'm glad that you liked it so much.

I am sure you are enjoying your extended travels around NZ, I hope you got some rock climbing done in the South Island. Stay in touch!