“We would no recommend. Overpriced.”
Review of Mohio Tours - CLOSED

Mohio Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Mohio Tours, (formerly Potiki Adventures), are tourism award-winning specialists in Auckland sightseeing, with an indigenous flavour. Offering small group & customised private tours. We started the original Auckland Maori Tours, over 6.5 years later our innovative tours range from introductions to contemporary Maori culture & beautiful local landscapes, through to ‘Insider Guide’ city tours & specialist private art tours. Daily tours - maximum 7 people. Lonely Planet Guidebook - ‘Top 10 Maori Experience’. Enviro-Silver accredited.
Reviewed 16 January 2011

We went on a Mohio tour when it was still Potiki tours in December 2009, and overall we were very disappointed. Our host was Noa, but we felt that she did not add anything above what we would have gained if we had hired a taxi for the day to take us around, and therefore thought the tour was very overpriced. Also beware of hidden costs - part of the itinery for our tour was going to the NZ war memorial museum (we were only there for 30 minutes) and when we got there we were told that there was no charge for entry - but they "expected" a donation of $10 each, which we basically had to pay, also the tour guide walked in free after a quiet word! It looks like this has now been removed from the itinery, but we thought this should have been included in the price of the tour, especially given the cost of the tour, and felt it put us in a very difficult position as we would not normally have paid to enter a museum for such a short period of time. There was another girl with us who felt the same. Also when comparing to other tours bear in mind that lunch is not included in this tour either. Overall I would recommend hiring a car to see the sights, or a taxi driver and go to the places yourself - this would give you the same experience for a fraction of the cost, and a lot of the day in this tour is spend driving to the beach!

4  Thank Mivvit
Potiki_Aotearoa, Owner at Mohio Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2011

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your tour.
In relation to the Museum component, we do not generally include visiting the Museum in the small group day tour, unless it is a awful weather. She should have only offered to take the group there if it was raining heavily, and when we do go to the Museum it is usually for around 1 hr in the Maori gallery to really see and learn about the artefacts in depth. We usually cover the cost of the donation so I am sorry that she did not do that for whatever reason. Regarding the donation - the Museum should certainly not 'expect' a donation of a certain amount. Noa would have been allowed in for free as an Auckland resident - it's free for all of us, so it wasn't about a kick back for her or anything similar.
As you will see from other reviews of Noa, we did get great feedback about her, so I am really very sorry that it did not add to your trip to NZ. Our other guides also get fantastic feedback as you'll notice from our usual 100% positive feedback.
The tour is not the cheapest going, but that is because we only take out very small groups (maximum of 7 people), rather than being on a big group tour.
I am grateful that you have written to give honest feedback, but it is also a pity for me that you took over 12 months to send your feedback ,as the guide Noa (that you were specifically unhappy with) has long since stopped working for our company, so I can not discuss the issues with her.
I hope your future travels go well and I wish you all the best.
Melissa

Reviewed 16 December 2010

I went on the Urban Maori Experience back in August and loved it. It had just the right mix of sightseeing and culture and wasn't overly 'touristy'. My tour consisted of just me and my guide Michelle who was exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable and taught me a great deal about Maori culture and history. This tour takes in some of the highlights of Auckland and surrounds including One Tree Hill, Waitakere Ranges and Piha Beach and was definitely one of the highlights of my trip to New Zealand. I would recommend this tour to anyone visiting Auckland, especially those who are short on time as it was a great introduction to some of the best Auckland has to offer and was delivered in a very personalised and professional manner.

Thanks again Michelle for a wonderful day out (and some great tips on where to eat out in Auckland)!

Reviewed 16 December 2010

We loved this tour during our honeymoon in NZ. Our tourguide, the lovely and warm Michelle Roberts, gave us an excellent view of Maori culture, arts, and historic sites around Auckland. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour - the time spent in the rainforest, the art shops in which we spent too much money, the astounding black sand beaches, and all the history that Michelle explained to us. Highly recommended day excursion.

Reviewed 15 December 2010

My husband and I had a fabulous time on our tour with Michelle. She was knowledgeable and personable. Some of our misconceptions were dispelled, and we had a great time seeing Auckland through her eyes. We highly recommend this company. It was certainly one of the most worthwhile tours we went on.

Reviewed 22 November 2010

7 of us local aucklanders went on an art tour with Melissa and had a wonderful 4 hours. We got to meet 4 stunning artists who gave us a real insight into how they work and what inspires them. We talked to gallery owners which was a real treat and all in all felt very special and blessed to have such a wonderful experience. Can't recommend Mohio tours enough, hope to keep in touch and will certainly send other locals your way, thanks Jody