“Excellent except for Friday Night Noise”

Metro Suites Apartment Hotel
Ranked #19 of 108 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
Napier, New Zealand
“Excellent except for Friday Night Noise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

This was our first visit. Location is excellent as only minutes away from everything. Check in was smooth and quick. It had everything you needed in an apartment, fridge, dishwasher, mircrowave, washing machine, etc. We were on the 30th floor where the view are excellent. Our Thursday night stay was great, but then Friday night all the noise travelled up from the pubs - they didn't stop until 4:00am. Would stay here again, but not on a Friday or Saturday night.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank joken630

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

I frequently travel for work, but given this was going to be a longer stay I wanted an apartment so I could cook. It was during the times of the world cup so it was difficult to find a place that had availability for my entire stay. I settled on Metro Suites based on the reviews here. Overall I found it fine but nothing stands out really as a good stay.
When I arrived I was dropped at the entrance to the other hotel in the building. I went to the reception and they gave me an access card to the lift and directions to the Metro Suites reception.
Check-in was quick and I went up to the room. I had a "Deluxe" room. It was a little smaller than I was expecting. The kitchen(ette) is tiny. There is sufficient plates, bowls, a few glasses, a two elememnt hob, oven, microwave, fridge and dishwasher. However I found there was limited cookware. There was 1 knife, a chopping board, simmer pan and a couple of other bits and pieces. There was also NO pantry space what-so-ever. I think what was designed to be the pantry was taken up by the washing machine/dryer. So its enough to cook basic meals.
The rest of the room was OK, the TV has the discovery channel which I liked and there is also a TV in the bedroom. The room was pretty quiet, though on the odd occasion on the weekend I could hear yelling from the street. The room is serviced once every two days where they make the bed, and replace the used washing powder, towels and toiletries.
Location is really good, a quick walk anywhere though the only supermarket is a decent walk away and the return trip is up hill.
Service was reasonably good, they served all my requests though they couldn't get my in-room internet to work.
The gym in the place was a good surprise. All the equipment was pretty dated, but there were few machines which I like. They had a power cage and a range of free weights, no smith machine though. A couple of treadmills and bikes. A good range of dumbells but the 12kg and 16kg's were missing. Nice pool, sauna and spa.
I had a good stay, though there was no standout features or anything that would definitely bring me back. My next stay I'd still shop around, though likely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank oztravman
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

First you must be careful when you book... there are two properties within the Metropolis building... the Apartments at Metropolis and the Metro Suites. The Metro Suites reception is around the corner from Kitchener Street and closes around 7pm. The Apartments run more like a hotel and have 24 hour reception. Having said that, and having stayed in both, the rooms are almost identical. My preference is for the Metro Suites as you get higher floors which equals better views. They are serviced apartments so there is no room service except for housekeeping (ie extra towels, pillows etc). But, they are well equipped and have a kitchen and laundry. Ideal if you are staying for a longer time. The property is very central and is just off Queen Street. If you don't want to self cater there is a cafe just downstairs that does a good breakfast and Wagamama right next door for dinner. There is an abundance of good restaurants within 500m of the property. It is only a 10 minute walk to the Quay or to the Skytower, so it is well located.
The downside is the parking which is $25 NZD per night and the internet rate which cost us $29.90 for 2 days!! The gym and pool are shared by both properties and are free to use.
When I am in Auckland for a longer time and feel the need to self-cater and do some washing, this has become my property of choice.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Becca3189
Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

We loved this place - stylish, spotlessly clean, great facilities, great location, great view. The sparse and mixed reviews on Tripadvisor made me hesitant about booking, but the facilities and location swayed me to take a chance, and we were not disappointed. We had a deluxe one-bedroom suite on 29th floor. We wanted for nothing, had acres of space, a fantastic view and loved the cafe quarter nearby as well as the 24 hour cafe at the foot of the apartment block and the beautiful park across the road. The awkwardly located and slighly down-at-heel reception is mentioned by everyone - maybe worth a re-think by the owners? But otherwise, lots of plus-points, so I hope more people will have a similar experience to us and write it up to give this place the boost in ratings we feel it deserves. We wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank katiekiteflier
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

I arrived here at 430am. Rang the mobile number posted on the door. No one answered. Went to the Metropolis hotel next door. Spoke to the night font desk manager, who rang the contact. I asked what should I do till )830. She was not the least bit understanding. I was told I would have to wait till 0830 until she arrived. So I had to wait 4 hours after a 13 hour flight to get a room. This has apparently happened to 4 others times in the past month according to the night front desk manager of the hotel next door. I must commend him he was so helpful and very accomodating, even though I was not a guest at his hotel.

At 0800 I went back to the Metro Suites office to wait for her to arrive. She arrived at 0830 gave me the room. But was not apologetic or in anyway that I had to wait 4 hours in another hotel for her to give me the room. I just found the whole situation very unprofessional and if you have such a business one should have someone on call to accomodate people who arrive early or after 5pm.

The location was great. The rooms were good too. Just the professionalism was disappointing.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank ClaudAustralia
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

We booked our apartment at the Metropolis with Metro Suites Agency via Hotelclub. Was difficult to find their reception tucked away on a lower floor than the main Metropolis Reception. Apartment very nice, lovely view from the 30th floor, and enjoyed having separate bedroom, lounge with kitchen and laundry facilities, balcony and a safe. The downsides were the decor was worn, the servicing of the room a little haphazard, and inadequate crockery and cutlery. Location very good, right next to Albert Park, and about 5-10 minutes walk to Britomart Transport Centre and Ferry Terminus. Also had use of the swimming pool and hot tub on with key card access.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple