“Avoid this hotel”

Ranked #60 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Houston, Texas
“Avoid this hotel”
Reviewed 21 March 2011

We chose this hotel for our trip to Auckland due to location, the pictures and the fact that it had washer/dryer. The experience was terrible. First, the pictures make the rooms look very nice, but the quality and size of the hotel room was much different. There was no a/c and the outside street noise was quite loud. Additionally, the beds were very uncomfortable. The washer and dryer never properly worked, and when I called maintenance, they ended up sticking me with a $500+ charge to repair the machines indicating that it was my fault that they didn't work. These are owned apartments rented out by a management company, so you are not dealing with the owners and the management company has no authority. I was having a very nice vacation until I stayed here. Don't waste your time or money - spend a little more and stay in a REAL hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
ManagerBOQ, General Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Dear TxTraveler078

Thank you for your feedback about our building, I do appreciate your time.

I would like to make the following comments about your review as this issue has been raised on a few occasions previously and it is best made clear.

1) 50% of our building has Air-Con and 50% does not. We advertise superior rooms and deluxe rooms as all having this facility while standard, super saver and studio rooms to do have this. We are looking to have the whole building having AC within the next 12 months to avoid disappointment. Please be advised that we do not advertise anything different to what I have just mentioned.
2) We are located in downtown Auckland and usual street noise is to be expected. This is out of our control and hope guests understand the benefits and negatives of being in a central location.
3) Charges are only applied on a guest account after conclusive and independent evidence is obtained. We have discussed this at length with you prior to your departure and I am happy to discuss this with you in more detail if you could contact me on sales@biancooffqueen.co.nz.

Our business is in Management Rights like other Serviced Apartments in New Zealand. Examples are Quest, City Life, Waldorf Group, The Quadrant, Chifley Suites. Apartments are run on behalf of individual unit owners and we act in the best interests of individual unit owners. We have full authority in doing what is best for their investment.

As always, we WISH that people have great stays at our properties and come back. That is the ultimate goal of any business and I am very disappointed to hear that our building did not stand up to your expectations. As mentioned earlier, please contact me directly if you are next in Auckland, I will be happy to talk to you and provide you a unit that will meet your expectations. We have 100,000 + happy customers on feedback forms that can attest to what I am preaching, I hope you can make it 100,001.

Take care and we look forward to seeing you back

Udai Sarin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Korean first
Auckland
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Would never stay at this hotel again!

A friend booked my husband and I into this hotel for one night on the day of our wedding as a wedding gift. After a long enjoyable but tiring day we arived at the hotel in the early hours of the morning just wanting to rest our weary legs. Unfortunately we didn't have any photo ID on us as this was the lst thing on our minds after a full on day. The staff at the desk were not helpful one bit and just didn't care at all about our situation. After contacting our friend who booked us in (and had already paid on line) he called the hotel and agued for at least an hour on our behalf having to send copies of his identification and credit card credntials etc. Many times during the ordeal our friend asked staff if they could just send us to our room (knowing we were absolutely knackered) while they sorted out the requirements but the they were just so unhelpful and unfriendly. Well, after over an hour of waiting and aguing they finally agreed to give us a key.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone after the service (or lack of) that we received. The staff here do not have any customer service focus whatsoever!

BTW, the booking also included breakfast but I wouldn't call what we got 'breakfast'. It was more a little snak fit for small children.

Dear Walk About Kiwi

Firstly I would like to thank you for your review regardless of your stay, feedback is always the BEST way for us to improve as a property overall.

I congratulate you on your wedding, it is always a special day regardless.

I appreciate your comments about our night staff and can understand your frustration about his lack of understanding on your special day. I would like to say something from our behalf on the situation:

Our staff was doing as he has been instructed on all check-ins, people require photo identification and a valid credit card upon checking in. Our apartments are owned by individual apartment owners and we are responsible to ensure their investments are looked after to the best of our abilities. By taking a photo ID and a credit card upon check in (an industry standard) we are simply fulfilling our responsibilities.

Our policies are clearly marked on our website and all other 3rd party websites and expect guests to respect our simple and standard rules. Our rules are no different to any other hotel in the world.

However, in saying all the above I can understand your frustration and appreciate that our staff member could have handled the situation better. I have under taken a one on one training with the staff member in question and advised him of the importance of customer service regardless of the situation they find them selves in. This is what our industry is all about, the customer experiences especially on such a special day as a wedding.

Please contact me directly on sales@biancooffqueen.co.nz if there is anything further I can help with.

Udai Sarin

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Thankyou so much for the wonderful stay. Your staff were amazing, the service was fantastic. I did wish there was access to toothpaste though!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Hi J Fortune,

Thank you for your great review and suggestion about tooth paste!

I have taken the liberty to organise some spare tooth pastes and tooth brushes after your review that reception now have to provide guests on a need basis.

Further, we have a local store about 20 meters away from us that has tooth paste available 24 hours a day! No matter, if you email me prior to your next booking I will ensure it will be in your room prior to your arrival at no charge :)

Take care and we look forward to welcoming you back

Melbourne
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Check in was quick.Reception was helpful in guiding us on nearby shops and attractions.They were polite and courteous.Room was compact.Never felt the want of anything away from home.Amenities provided were excellent.Breakfast(continental)was quite adequate with more than sufficient quantities of juice and milk.The best part was the location is so Central that it's just a few minutes walking distance to to the CBD.Initially however you may find it confusing to locate white street,that's if you are travelling by bus from the Airport.Have a map or ask the locals and they will guide you.Room Tariffs are quite reasonable comparing to similar hotels around.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2011

The location of Bianco Off Queen was excellent. Just around the corner from busy Queen St, it was close to a range of well priced restaurants, and downtown generally, but in a quiet street.
Our apartment was a small studio, but had all we needed- a kitchenette with limited cooking facilities, very comfortable good quality Queen sized bed, and an excellent bathroom. All fittings and furnishings seemed almost brand new, and were in pleasant neutral tones.
The breakfast kit was only small, with a couple of slices of bread to toast, cereal, juice and milk, plus jam and stuff for the toast- but enough to get you started for the day.
We paid NZ$109 for the apartment, which included the breakfast pack and parking, and I thought this to be good value.
I was apprehensive after seeing some of the very negative reviews on this site, and a few need addressing:

1 Reception staff were busy, but organised and polite. They didnt fawn over you, or carry your bags, but come on, go to a 5 star hotel if this is what you want!
2 As advertised, the lower priced rooms are not air conditioned. However they have opening windows, and a door onto a small balcony, so there's plenty of ventilation.
3 The parking arrangements are tight, but okay. This is a capital city and a high rise building, not a country town parking lot.
4 The room's furniture, floor coverings, bedlinen- everything- were good quality, almost new and spotless. (see photos) As far as I was told, all rooms are furnished the same. I'm a fussy person- I don't know where the complaints of dirtiness are coming from!
5 This is an unsafe area with prostitutes??????? I'm aged 61, conservative. I walked around at night. I saw nothing to bother me and felt quite safe.

Dear Impossible 50

WOW thanks for taking the time out to write such a comprehensive review of our property.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and can honestly say that I wish other people would look at things as they are instead of always seeing the negatives in a property.

We are located downtown, being downtown will always have its positives and negatives but overall people would much prefer to be there.

I suggest you take a one bedroom apartment on your next visit or a one bedroom superior apartment which has Air-Con like we advertise. These have much more space than a studio and can be more comfortable for a little extra.

Thank you for your great review, I look forward to welcoming you back personally on your next visit.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 March 2011

From the moment I checked in the service was excellent.
Staff very friendly.
I had a two bedroom apartment and it was great.
Though I have heard that room only accommodation is a tad small so if there is more than one of you opt for the 2 bedrooms!
The place is quiet, close to downtown, attractions and the airport bus stop is only a 3 minute walk away.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Dear Viking,

Thank you for your feedback. I am really happy to hear the staff service was excellent, in fact it is something we have been working very hard to get right and I am delighted to hear of your stay.

You are right, if you want that extra space our 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom apartments are ideal, both are 45+ SQM and are perfect for between 1-5 people depending on the room you choose.

I look forward to welcoming you back, thanks for your great feedback!

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2011

having stayed there for 5 nights efficient staff and rooms matched the photos in advertisements daily service to top up coffee teabags etc was excellent.rooms all
appliances working and very quiet. convenience stores nearby

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family