“Clean, comfortable, convenient for city centre.”
Review of Bianco off Queen

Bianco off Queen
Ranked #57 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 4 April 2011

The review title tells you quite a lot. The studio that we had for two nights in February and one night in March (at the beginning and end of our touring holiday) was small but very well equipped. It actually had a dishwasher and a washer-drier. The kitchen was well equipped with a microwave and hob. There was a good selection of crockery and utensils. Breakfast was included in the room price and this was also of generous proportions.

There was no view from the windows or balcony, as they overlooked a yard and a narrow alley but this did not bother us as we were really only overnighting.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerBOQ, General Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2011

Hi Joan,

Thanks for your review about our property, I appreciate the feedback.

May I suggest on your next visit you choose a one bedroom apartment that are larger in size than our studios, have balconies with city views for a nominal extra charge.

Again, I appreciate your time and effort and look forward to your next visit at our property.

Kind Regard

Reviewed 30 March 2011

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the door to my apartment to see a big living area, a fully equipped kitchette, washing machine and dryer, and separate bedroom and bathroom! It was toward the end of our holiday so we went crazy and we washed and we washed all our clothes! They even provide washing powder. Great!

The hotel was really new and clean. Like all the hotels that we stayed during this NZ trip, everything sparked! The walls and doors were solid so they completely blocked out all noise. In any case, the hotel was in a quiet street so traffic was not heavy. We managed to get a good sleep. It was just a short 3 minutes walk to Queen Street, where there are many restaurant choices. Surprisely we found many Korean restaurants and they are good! If you prefer not to eat out, they have a delivery menu with lots of options! I think that would be wonderful for families.

We were told you can also walk to Viaduct Harbour but we had a car so we drove instead. The hotel has a carpark which you can pay $20 a day to use. We forgot to do that and we found that we didn't have a lot. It turned out to be a blessing because we parked overnight at a secured carpark 3 minutes away and paid only $6.

The complaints? Service. The reception area is small and usually there is only one staff manning it. The second night when we wanted to collect our keys to the apartment, we had to wait a while. They could have provided more staff. I feel that it's ridiculous to have to wait 5 minutes just to collect my apartment key. Furthermore, when I got to my room, I had to laugh out loud when I saw my bed! The apartment was nicely made-up, all the kitchen utensils washed and put back in their proper place, the towels in the bathroom replaced, etc. But in the bedroom, only one of the two twin bed was made! The other one had pillows and blankets piled on it, like the housekeeper was called away in the middle of making the room, and forgot to come back! You have to see the photo to believe it! Unfortunately, as it was very late and I was tired, I made do with it and did not ask them to send anyone up to make the bed.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
ManagerBOQ, General Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review about out property.

I too also laughed at the photos you had taken where the beds were half finished, I have reminded the housekeepers that there is nothing more important than finishing the job they start, regardless of who calls. I am glad you saw the funny side of it.

I hope you had a safe journey back home, we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Auckland.

Reviewed 27 March 2011

I needed a hotel in the CBD and didn't want to pay a lot... but I also didn't want to go too cheap and end up in a dump (or some place with lots of loud late night party-goers).

This place was just off Queen St., offering a convenient CBD location. Though it was located on one of the least attractive streets in the Auckland CBD (or of any CBD anywhere - not dirty, just ugly), it was a short walk to where I needed to be. I also attribute this off-the-beaten-path location to being able to keep the windows open all night and hear nothing but a quiet breeze all night long.

There was a nice balcony that offered mediocre views of rooftops (not terribly interesting). The kitchenette and laundry were nice bonuses, and the place was incredibly clean... no, immaculate. The bed was moderately comfortable (not plush).

I'd definitely stay here again. Easy access to the Airport Express bus, but most everything else is at least a 10-minute walk (up to around 15-20 minutes on foot to get to the ferry terminal and Britomart).

If you're not familiar to Auckland, it's a bit hard to find. I know Auckland very well, and I still circled around the block to find the hotel. Print a map and have it in hand; it's easily accessible off Karangahape Road (first turn north going east of Queen) or from Queen (just north of K'Rd).

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
ManagerBOQ, General Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2011

Hi Keith,

Thank you so much for your kind words and review of our property. Your review pretty much sums of our property and why it is so popular with leisure tourists and visitors to New Zealand.

We have been working very very very hard with our housekeeping team to have the property & rooms looking great. Time, effort and training has been put in to have the rooms spotless and I am glad that you recognised this about our property.

In terms of the view and location, we are in downtown Auckland and live with the surrounding buildings that present themselves. We have Telecom New Zealand next door and HP around the corner which are major corporates which we cannot help.

What we can control we are going to major lengths to get right and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Auckland. Safe Travels.

Reviewed 27 March 2011

I have stayed here once before and it was great. Although this time, not so much. I had stated that I would be checking in at 2pm on the Saturday and when I arrived to check in, I had to wait 40 minutes before my room was ready.
Then when our friends arrived, I took the lift down to B3 to help them with their bags and whilst unpacking the car, both of the lifts on tower A broke. So we had to walk up to our room on the 12th floor with all of our bags etc. Not the most pleasant thing to do to start off our weekend.
On a happier note, the location of the apartments are awesome. Being right in the city was great for us. The rooms were a great size!

Hi Jordy,

Thank you for your feedback about our property. I appreciate your comments and have the following:

1) There are no excuses for your room not to be ready by 2pm, we have been running 95% occupancy throughout March and the day you checked in was no different. I understand that this must have been frustrating and sincerely apologise for this. It has been brought to the head housekeepers attention and further training and organisation must be demonstrated by our property to ensure that time lines and standards are always maintained, regardless of the pressure on staff.

2) In terms of the elevators breaking down at the same time, this is completely out of our control. We have a maintainence contract with a major elevator company that ensures events like this do not take place...and if they do they are on the job immediately to have it rectified. We do apologise for the inconvenience and hope this did not detract to much from your overall visit to Auckland.

You are right, our rooms are great and large in size and in the middle of the city...I do hope to see you back in the near future as we do have a great product which I hope you give another chance to redeem itself. Please contact me on sales@biancooffqueen.co.nz prior to your next arrival and I will make sure you are looked after including anything I can do to make it even better.

Reviewed 23 March 2011

On a holiday to New Zealand we decided to stay here. Because me and my partner live in Melbourne we had to do all our bookings online.

The pictures on the website looked amazing.so you can only Imagen my disappointment when i walked into a room the size of a shoe box. It was not large and spacious as the pictures seemed to display.

The laundry in the room was poor. The dryer did not work and the washing machine over flowed. When we asked if someone could come have a look they said no not until the morning. It was 6pm

Not to mention on top of that my partners contact lenses had gone missing from the room also.

All in all not an enjoyable stay. If we did not have such a busy full on week in Auckland we would have checked out that day.Very Disappointed

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear BoiCopper

Thank you for your feedback and honest concerns about our property.

I am sad to hear that your stay was not as great as it should have been - our photos are taken of actual rooms and am surprised about your reaction to our rooms.

Our studio units are 32SQM in size and can be small in if you are used to something bigger as we have all the facilities of a large unit in a 'hotel' size unit.

I suggest on your next visit you choose a one bedroom apartment as they are much bigger - 45SQM (some of the biggest in the city in-fact with large balconies) and I guarantee you will find our property much more comfortable. In Fact, if you email me directly on sales@biancooffqueen.co.nz I will be happy to provide you with a free upgrade on your next visit and see that you are in the room you thought you were getting on your last visit.

I am unhappy about your laundry in the room not working as they should, all our rooms are checked prior to arrival (each night) and this should have been detected prior to your arrival. I sincerely apologise about this. In terms of your contact lenses, I hope you locate them soon enough, if we do find them we will be sure to contact you directly.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with, you are able to contact me via email anytime on the address provided above.

I look forward to seeing you back in the near future and will be happy to honour the free upgrade as mentioned above.

Reviewed 22 March 2011

Clean modern centrally located apartment at a goof price. Very comfortable. Upgrade was really appreciated. I like an apartment sty;le rather than just a room.
Hav estayed in lots of CBD hotels and this rates in top 5%

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
ManagerBOQ, General Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

Hi John

Thank you for your kind review.

I am glad you enjoyed your free upgrade, we are always trying to add to the guest experience and where possible we offer free upgrades where we are over booked in a certain room category.

Take care and I look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment, we too think it is in the top 5% in Auckland for price and value. We hope others do to.

Reviewed 21 March 2011

We chose this hotel for our trip to Auckland due to location, the pictures and the fact that it had washer/dryer. The experience was terrible. First, the pictures make the rooms look very nice, but the quality and size of the hotel room was much different. There was no a/c and the outside street noise was quite loud. Additionally, the beds were very uncomfortable. The washer and dryer never properly worked, and when I called maintenance, they ended up sticking me with a $500+ charge to repair the machines indicating that it was my fault that they didn't work. These are owned apartments rented out by a management company, so you are not dealing with the owners and the management company has no authority. I was having a very nice vacation until I stayed here. Don't waste your time or money - spend a little more and stay in a REAL hotel.

Dear TxTraveler078

Thank you for your feedback about our building, I do appreciate your time.

I would like to make the following comments about your review as this issue has been raised on a few occasions previously and it is best made clear.

1) 50% of our building has Air-Con and 50% does not. We advertise superior rooms and deluxe rooms as all having this facility while standard, super saver and studio rooms to do have this. We are looking to have the whole building having AC within the next 12 months to avoid disappointment. Please be advised that we do not advertise anything different to what I have just mentioned.
2) We are located in downtown Auckland and usual street noise is to be expected. This is out of our control and hope guests understand the benefits and negatives of being in a central location.
3) Charges are only applied on a guest account after conclusive and independent evidence is obtained. We have discussed this at length with you prior to your departure and I am happy to discuss this with you in more detail if you could contact me on sales@biancooffqueen.co.nz.

Our business is in Management Rights like other Serviced Apartments in New Zealand. Examples are Quest, City Life, Waldorf Group, The Quadrant, Chifley Suites. Apartments are run on behalf of individual unit owners and we act in the best interests of individual unit owners. We have full authority in doing what is best for their investment.

As always, we WISH that people have great stays at our properties and come back. That is the ultimate goal of any business and I am very disappointed to hear that our building did not stand up to your expectations. As mentioned earlier, please contact me directly if you are next in Auckland, I will be happy to talk to you and provide you a unit that will meet your expectations. We have 100,000 + happy customers on feedback forms that can attest to what I am preaching, I hope you can make it 100,001.

Take care and we look forward to seeing you back