“Central Location But Be Prepared for Outside Noise”
Review of Bianco off Queen

Bianco off Queen
Ranked #60 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Central Location But Be Prepared for Outside Noise”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My partner and I booked our room through the Internet for Feb, 2012. The Hotel was in a good location when arriving on the Airport Shuttle, not too far with all your luggage. The Buses go about every 15 minutes during the day time but check with your Hotel if you are leaving at an odd hour as it is not as frequent and the cost good value. You can buy a return ticket at the time of purchase. Booth outside the main door at the International. On arriving at the Hotel we were disappointed with the room size. The bedroom had a wardrobe, side table with barely enough room to put a bag. The Internet picture shown and the room we thought we booked were not the same. After complaining to a male receptionist he assured us he would move us the next day. After phoning the next morning he had done nothing about the move and it was left to a female staff member to rectify our situation. She was brilliant had everything organised in an hour and a bit. Our new room was what we paid for and saw on the Internet. Very spacious and neat. Our room was cleaned regularly by Housekeeping. There is no air conditioning at this Hotel and we had to leave windows open for a breeze. This Hotel is surrounded by other large accomodations and a Youth Hostel (Backpackers). Needless to say they are full of young people who party all night with lots of drinking and yelling. So sleeping can be interupted and after a full day sightseeing this is the last thing you want. In fairness this was not the fault of the Bianco Off Queen but be aware if you book this Hotel. The main shopping area is about 5-10 mins walk, the Waterfront about 20 mins walk, Cinemas 4 mins away, lots of convenience stores around.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
ManagerBOQ, General Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear Judy,

Thank you for your review, it is great to see you enjoyed your stay at Bianco off Queen.

As you have pointed out in the review, we are in central Auckland and noise issues will always exist regardless of the property. We do our best in terms of hush glass however the reality is regardless there will be noise.

Take care and safe travels

Udai Sarin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We stayed in a two bedroom standard apartment. We were very pleased with the size of the apartment, it was quite spacious. It was well maintained and very clean. The complimentary breakfasts were basic but were what we were expecting. The location was great, close to everything. We didn't have the hassle of parking as we were walking and using public transport. The apartments are very close to a bus stop. We would definately stay here again!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Kiwihaley
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I had a very uncomfortable experience staying at Bianco Off Queen. The 2 bedroom apartment that we had booked looked much larger on their website than in reality. The carpet and the bedding did not seem very clean, and the service was nothing exceptional. My first night sleeping in one of their beds, I woke up in the middle of the night to noise from queen street partying, and although the hotel is tucked away from queen street, the shouting and hollering from party goers seemed very close by. After trying to get back to sleep, I woke up again from bites on my arms and legs. The next morning I looked at the bites closely and I knew they were bed bugs or something similar. Needless to say, I did not stay for the second night, packed my bags and went home as soon as I could! Lesson to be learnt: you get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
ManagerBOQ, General Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this review, 12 February 2012
Dear Pleo,

Thanks for your email. I am disappointed to read your review as the stay that was paid for was not as expected.

I would like to mention one thing, Bianco off Queen has a comprehensive Bed Bug prevention program where Bi-Monthly room inspections designed for prevention and risk are held by a top independent company in Auckland.

Our location is in central Auckland and no matter where you stay street noise on a weekend will be present, perhaps one of our other properties Auckland Takapuna Oaks would be more suitable to your needs as a waterfront quiet property slightly away from the city.

Please contract me at udai@vrgroup.co.nz if you would like to discuss it further and if I could make your stay in Auckland next time as you were expecting the first.

Kind Regards

Udai

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Room: 1 Bedroom Superior Apartment - 10A

Firstly, the room I stayed in was somewhat similar to the advertised photos (furniture wise) but the layout was completely different and less spacious - very misleading and disappointing.

The room itself was clean and modern, and had everything we needed. Strangely, the bathroom came off the kitchenette, rather than the bedroom... Not the best if you happen to be entertaining (luckily we weren't).
The bed was comfortable - pillows were a little hard though. Extra blankets in the wardrobe if required. No problem of a good night's sleep as the outside noise didn't penetrate at all. Although this building is off Queen Street (main street in CBD), it's pretty quiet and not a lot of hassle to get to.

We had a balcony with entrances from both the bedroom and the living area. Not much of a view as the Backpackers lodge and another set of apartments were right across from us, but it's nice to sit out there at night.

Continental Breakfast was complimentary. Not the best breakfast for us, but if you like bananas, yoghurt, multigrain roll and juice then it's right up your alley. This was replenished daily. Clean towels every day also - hand, face, bath, kitchen etc.

Problems:
- Mid stay, I could smell a 'funky' odour on one side of the sofa - similar to vomit. I wasn't sitting on that side!
- Parking! Even if you have confirmed a bay prior to arriving, don't trust it! We were given a pass and shown where to park the first night. We couldn't find an available bay, so they let us park in the staff parking till the next day when they told us to try again as people were checking out. No luck the next night so we parked in staff parking again. We tried a third night... I was over it - they had confirmed a bay for me 6 weeks prior to arriving yet were unable to provide me with one, so I demanded I be given a permanent bay in staff parking and a refund of parking.
They refunded me one nights parking ($20) and allowed us to park in staff parking for the remainder stay - better than nothing! Only problem with this was we didn't have access to enter/exit. We had to ask reception to open the gate each time.
If you do choose to park, make sure you have a small to medium car. All parking is one way and VERY tight; no exaggeration - yes I'm female, but I can drive and park very well thank you :o) The ramp to get from one level to the next is also one way, so they have 'trafiic lights' to tell you when it's your turn.

Overall, I personally wouldn't stay here again. The situation with the parking was very frustrating, and it didn't help when one staff member tried telling ME what I had to do to resolve the problem (do "this", park "here", go "there" instead etc)...
I also didn't like the misleading photos on their website regarding the layout of the room.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
ManagerBOQ, General Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Dear Chelsea,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you liked the room you were in.

Please note that we have different layouts of each room type. It would be impossible to put every photo of each room type, thus we endeavor to put an 'average' photo of the particular room type online to avoid mos-representation.

I am apologetic you had trouble with the parking, we are in central Auckland where parking is of a premium. We are fortunate to have over 100 car parks with many buildings in the CBD having little or no car parking at all.

Take care and safe travels home

Udai Sarin
Dubendorf, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Ending our trip in Auckland, we were very happy having booked this appartment. It was well equipped, so we could do our laundry while staying there. The free complimentary in-room packed Continental Breakfast was minimal, but you can't complain for this price. The location is perfect to explore Auckland, it's a short walk to the Sky Tower or the harbour. The room was comfortable and clean. Staff was ok.

Would stay there again if ever back in Auckland.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Four of us shared a 2-bedroom apartment. The apartment was furnished, and the design was thoughtful. The kitchen was small but adequate.

We booked online, and apparently, the rate/package we chose did not include breakfast, cleaning, or trash pick-up. So if those things are important to you, make sure you are choosing the price rate that you want (it was not clear to us at booking that there would be no service to the room).

The parking is tricky, if you are the last car to get into the garage. The staff uses the parking garage as storage for laundry; you may find that you have to move very large laundry bags (full of wet towels) from the last remaining parking space, like we did. That was unpleasant.

The good bits: there is a small grocery around the corner. The staff will store your luggage if you are too early for check-in. The hotel is very convenient for the harbor and downtown Auckland. Overall, good value for money.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The accommodation is very good for families that spend some days in Auckland. It is near the city center, it is easy to park around and parking in the street is free of charge from 18:00 to 8:00, the apartments have lot of light and good design and equipment (kitchen, small bathroom). The apartment we got, had 2 rooms and a living room. The only weak point I can see is that you get a very basic breakfast in the room, but you can easily buy other food in the shops nearby. Reception is open and helpful 24/24.
I heard that the hotel parking is extremely narrow, so we didn't use it.
Overall, a very good accommodation solution in Auckland.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family