“Reopened, under new management, off to a good start”
Review of Pastis - CLOSED

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I have been to Pastis a number of times, when it was under the previous management. then, the food was outstanding and the atmosphere good.

It then closed. I always found that a pity, so much to my delight, it recently reopened "under new management".

I immediately decided to take a French visitor there to try out the new Pastis.

I was not disappointed, but it was also not fabulous.
It seems that the new management want to cater more to all generations. Nothing wrong with that, and it may end up being a winner.

The Wednesday night we went, there was even life music. 50% of the two man band however quite literally dropped out, because of some extreme alcohol intake. The other 50% made up to it with some reasonable performance.

I ordered snails (teeming with garlic and accompanied by some excellent bread) and steak frites. It came as it should, the fries were perfect and the steak cooked exactly as I liked it and it was only NZ$ 24.00. Great value for money! My wife had a terrine as starter and the onion soup as a main and she said she loved it. Our guest had a terrine and a pancake of some sorts with salmon and also for that the verdict was good.

Our french guest felt at home, so that was a good sign.

There was a steady influx of young people going through, visiting the bar.

The service was correct and friendly.

I had the feeling that they has just reopened and were still trying to get their feet on the ground but I must say, it was a good start and I will most certainly be back.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Pastis is a fantastic little french restaurant with Crepe's to die for! I went there for a romantic lunch and was not disappointed. Beautiful wine in a carafe and a msuhroom crepe that was so good I wanted to lick the plate :)
Fantastic taste of Paris in Auckland. Also look out for the Beaujoulaise Nouveaux release in November! Yummy!
Will be back many times.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

We booked a table via their website. The website is still up and running and we received a confirmation email letting us know that our reservation had been accepted.

We had booked a night away in the city as a break, the first in over a year as the rest of our family live in the UK. The trip to Pastis was part of the treat. When we got to the restaurant it was closed with a To Let sign on the door.

NOWHERE ON THEIR WEBSITE DOES IT STATE THAT THE RESTAURANT IS NO LONGER OPEN! We were very disappointed at the wasted trip, and were left on a Friday night with no reservation. Fortunately the O'Connell Street Bistro were able to fit us in so we had a lovely meal there instead.

3  Thank Joanne52012
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Staying with my sister in Auckland, we are from Australia and wanted to take all of the family out for dinner as a thank you for having us.

Yesterday morning we phoned to make a booking for dinner that evening, the phone was automated with an answer that explained that they were busy and we should leave a message and contact number, we did.

As no one had called us back by the afternoon we called again, same message!

We then checked their website, and found there was a table booking service incorporated within that site, so we then booked a table via that service on the website. the booking was then confirmed with us by email.

We arrived at Pastis via two taxi's as there were too many for one, this alone cost a great deal of money as my sister lives approx' 30kms from Pastis.

To our great disappointed the restaurant was closed without any explanation or a notice on the window, no one called us back, but we did have a confirmed booking from the restaurant via an email.

The rest of the evening was totally ruined for the whole family.

1  Thank Jason R
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Went there for a birthday dinner, , very busy good food , good vibe, was quite crowded, but that added to the buzz.