“Proper Italian Pizza”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Auckland, New Zealand
“Proper Italian Pizza”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I had been craving some real Italian Pizza since living in Italy and this did the trick. A bit pricy, we were luck to have the lunch special where all regular pizzas are only $16. Definitely worth it, will be going back for sure!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank jmrogalski

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Traditional and Authentic”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

If you want your pizza to taste like the stuff in Naples, this is one of the best we have found. Great cosy spot with friendly staff and Chianti wine available. Each time we have been we have not been disappointed.

• Visited March 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

That's Amore is very good. The restaurant may not look great at first but trust me it's great. The service was really good. The waiter and chef were nice. The food was delicious! The pizza was some of the best I've ever had. I would order the Gorgonzola and pair and the margarita. We also stayed for dessert which was good. The restaurant is quite small but that doesn't really effect the experience. Overall the restaurant was great! :)

• Visited April 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“What a find! Authentic pizza, amazing food!”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We travel regularly and, as pizza lovers, always try to find the best pizzeria in any new town. Our yardsticks are Tony's Pizza in San Francisco (11 time winner of the World Pizza Challenge) and Ken's Artisan Pizza in Portland, so we're pretty hard to please! We found That's Amore through Trip Advisor and almost gave up looking for it as it's hard to find, but we persevered and are so glad we did as this was one of the best pizzerias we have ever eaten at. (In Auckland, who would have thought it!) Don't be put off by the modest environment, this isn't a restaurant which puts its focus on decorating at the expense of the food.

And what food! The pizza is Neapolitan style, with a 20 hour rise, and is baked using an electric oven. The serving sizes were generous, the bases crisp, but thankfully the chef doesn't believe in drowning the pizza in ingredients – every topping can be savoured individually. We tried the basics (Margherita) and found it excellent but it is in the more unusual Vonghera and Gorgonzola e Pere that this restaurant came into its own – sweet Gorgonzola was balanced with perfectly textured pear. We ate at That's Amore twice on consecutive days, first for lunch, then for dinner – something we rarely do. Highly recommended and deserves to be better known!

• Visited April 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Not as good as it used to be”
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Had a meal at That's Amore to celebrate a friend's birthday but despite the nice cosy atmosphere, I was disappointed with my meal.

I wanted to order Gnocchi as I'd had it on my last visit about a year ago and remember how good it was. sadly there was no gnocchi to be had and, not wanting a pizza, my only vegetarian choice was the cannelloni. It tasted nice enough but the portion was pitiful - 2 tubes and a bit of sauce for $18. It really needed to come with something like a salad or veges. I left hungry and don't think I'll return.

Also, the restaurant should try serving Coke in a glass rather than in a can with a straw. It felt like cheap and lazy service.

Visited March 2014