“Yummy meatballs”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Wow! This is great Italian food. I had the meatballs (definitely recommended), my partner had a special fish dish (which I did not try). I "won" apparently but there was not much in it. Nice antipasto plate too. Lovely staff.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

18 June 2013
Went to Cocos recently on a very busy night for them. The food was outstanding, wait staff outstanding and atmosphere outstanding. Can't wait to take very keen foodie friends soon. Congratulations to the chefs, wait staff and owners and exceptional dinning out experience.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

As a chef I know it doesn't take much to raise ordinary food to something special. Coco's has fantastic staff,atmosphere and vibe but the food is lazy. The kitchen suppliers are fantastic i.e Neatmeat etc so the product is good but whoever is in the kitchen is not producing even simple combined flavours that jump off the plate, Presentation is uninspiring I mean jumbo fries supermarket rocket with the scotch fillet just dumped on the plate, sorry but there are so many reasons to come to Coco's but the food isn't one of them.

2  Thank AcaciaCliffsLodge
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I am a Coco's fan and have been since it opened. So it pains me to write this review but last night I had one of the worst meals I've had for a long time. I came here with a group of friends and we knew we'd have to wait for a table. No problem as the bar is generally superb. In fact, we ended up not waiting that long. The atmosphere at Coco's was as buzzing as ever. The maitre d' was friendly and helpful despite the place heaving at the seams. The barmen were doing an exceptional job of attending to everyone's beverage requirements.

So, what was the problem? Quite simply, the food. It was not up to scratch. Perhaps the chef has changed or had the day off but something was amiss. Even the polenta fries were missing their usual kick of rosemary. The chicken parfait was delicious but liquid... The chicken saltimbocca was bland - lacking seasoning and was a real disappointment. The cavolo nero side dish was tough. The side dish of beans and pork was the tastiest thing we had. I would have been quite happy with a large bowl of that with some mash but as it was I was left disappointed. My fellow diners were foodies and not impressed. One had a steak that was literally cold so had to be sent back. To top it off and add insult to injury, my margarita was awful. I'm a margarita fan but this one was lacking lime and tasted really watery. So, what to do now? Do we give you another go Coco's? We'll have to ponder this one as there are lots of other fine eateries in Auckland and some of them take bookings... The saltimbocca deserved a 1 or below. The pork and beans dragged the review up to a 2

3  Thank nesbitevans
Reviewed 28 May 2013

There are times when you realise that those in the kitchen just know what they are doing and do it with verve. Excellent and interesting food right through the menu. The service is what it is ... serving the customer. Be warned that there is no booking and you may have to wait at the bar - but the beer's excellent so no big deal.