“Waldorf Disaster” 2 of 5 bubbles

Waldorf Celestion Apartment Hotel
Sydney, Australia
“Waldorf Disaster”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Not impressed only serviced the room once in 6 days. 1 roll of toilet paper. Only one lift which we had to wait for 25mins one day. Bed hard and quilt dirty covered by a sheet. Very budget for $165 per night - not again!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

1 Thank Sue M
Kirsty D, General Manager at Waldorf Celestion Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to read your comments and am very sorry for the problems you encountered. There are some obvious areas that we need to address & with this in mind I ask that you contact me directly on 09 280 2200 where we have an opportunity to create a much better experience at our property
I thank you for bringing your experience to my attention.

My best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I like this place when travelling without a car, and this was my fourth stay. With a car, the hassles of loading and unloading, and parking mean that I generally look elsewhere. As usual, the apartment was clean, well equipped and the staff generally good. There were a couple of issues. Firstly, I wish they would get with the world and offer free wireless internet as a basic and necessary hotel facility (a common criticism of NZ and Australian hotels). Secondly, the housekeeping staff knocked on the door well before check out time to ask when I would be checking out. This has happened every time I have stayed here. I really dislike this. Sure, if I am late checking out, knock as much as you like, but leave me alone until checkout time please!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate both the great comments, and the 'not so great'
comments that our valued guests provide to us.I have passed on your feedback to our Executive House keeper &staff as it helps to make us better. I can only apologise for any negative experience you had with parking.We now have the opportunity to implement changes & I would welcome the opportunity to create a better experience.

My kind regards
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Me & My Friend(Female) Stayed here for a night to celebrate her 21st, On Arrival I asked about the on site parking and he just ignored me and said there is only off site parking, even though it states on the website there is onsite parking so why was I told differently. The parking was a little walk away so we asked to take our luggage up to the room before taking our car away, he wouldn't let us do this so my friend had to stay with our luggage while I parked the car and walked back, Really? We already gave our credit card details for a bond, paid 200 dollars for the room and he was still acting as if we had no right to be there,
He then asked who else would be staying repeatedly even though we were telling him it was only the two of us, He clearly didn't believe us, when we asked for a second room key he just said "no there is only two of you" Uh yeah, two people, two cards... considering you have to put a room key in the room for power, what if one of us wanted to go somewhere and the other stayed? It made sense for us to have two room keys, no idea why we were questioned when we're the ones who have to pay the ridiculous $50 charge if we lost them, it is of no inconvenience to him he was just plain rude.
Anyway we stayed in a 1 bedroom on a high floor, it was lovely and we had a slight view of the water too. Rooms Modern and not too loud from street noise.
Area isn't the best if you plan on doing a lot of walking or have small children, a lot of drunk/homeless men try to talk to you on the street outside which can be quite uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Higher Floor, Facing the street has better views.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sarah J
Kirsty D, General Manager at Waldorf Celestion Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests, but unfortunately, sometimes we do fail.
I will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel policies.
I would invite you to contact me personally at 09 280 2203 (direct line), or celestiongm@waldorf.co.nz to discuss this with you further.

Nelson, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Upon arrival we were greeted with friendly helpful staff at reception.We assume they are redecorating because the hallways were just bare concrete. Once inside our 2bedroom appartment we were pleasantly surprised how spacious and modern it was with every thing needed for our 3 night stay. The 8th floor gave us agood veiw overlooking the main roads with a limited veiw of the harbour. Advice on local attractions wasn't a problem to any of the desk staff and if they didn't know they would look it up. By booking taxis through the desk we got really good deals an example being $35 for a cash ride to the airport.(it cost us $32 on the bus!) We would not hesitate to stop at this centrally located hotel again. Vector Arena is just 5mins. walk down the road with downtown Auckland the same in the other direction and numerous cafe's and restaurants in between. They could do to have a few more Sky TV channels but I guess the number available is reflected in the price.

Dear Valued Guest,

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on our friendly staff & I have passed your review on.
Waldorf Celestion is a unique building with an in-vogue ‘industrial’ feel that does not appeal to all. I can only agree that our location is hard to beat & very handy to shops, cafes, supermarkets, etc.We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Upon arrival to leaving the attitude of the front desk staff was extremely poor, other staff wandering around were freindly. We felt like we were an inconvenience to them and anything that was asked for was to much trouble or wasn't done. They seemed confused as to what they could or couldn't do.The rooms and hallways are dark and dingy and the finish was like the designer was on some mind altering drugs not caring about what clients would need, going for a theme not usefull.

3 Thank Ken P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay with us. I have passed on your feedback to staff as it helps to make us better. We now have the opportunity to implement changes to hallways & I would welcome the opportunity to create a better experience the next time you are in Auckland. I would like to personally follow up on your experience & ask that you contact me celestiongm@waldorf.co.nz.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

The apartment was nice, clean, nice decor, good lay out. The kitchen was well equipped. It's location is good, close to shops and the Harbour. The staff is super friendly and helpful. But we must have been given the worst apartment in the building. Our bedroom was right next to the exhaust fan of an Indian restaurant. It was smelly and noisy. Around 11pm it would go on full blast and it was worse than sleeping in an airplane. Our "view" was the rubbish room in a small court yard.
We lost our key card. The manager charged us $50 (!!!!). This was stated on the little folder we received at check in. But, in my point of view, this is totally disproportional! We googled the price of key cards and they actually cost between $0,20-$0,50. Most hotels don't charge anything in case you lose one. Would stay here again, but glue my key card in my bag and ask for a room on one of the higher floors.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank NinaK22222
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Celestion. We will always respond very quickly to a 'guest request' whether it is to move rooms or be upgraded so please do not hesitate to let us know. Once again, I thank you for your comments, you have noted that our guest rooms were clean and I will make sure that these comments reach our housekeeping staff, who work hard every day to ensure a positive guest experience.
Best Regards,
Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights - when we found the apartment block, we thought we'd made a terrible mistake - the reception looks dark and gloomy, like the entrance to a hostel, with bare concrete corridors and walls. Once we reached out apartment, we were relieved to find a quite reasonable apartment - big rooms, well-equipped kitchenette, which was more than enough for our stay. The location was brilliant, close to the main centre of Auckland, everything within walking distance.

Only one quibble - the carpet was very dirty (white socks turned black very quickly) and when we requested a cleaner, or even a hoover, nothing was done (although we did stay over the New Year period...)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kirsty D, General Manager at Waldorf Celestion Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. Waldorf Celestion is a unique building with an in-vogue ‘industrial’ feel that does not appeal to everyone! The foyer has undergone cosmetic changes with new lighting and floral arrangements as well as latest weather information and information on local attractions within close proximity to Celestion. Balconies are currently all undergoing a sealant which will stop the black coming off the rubber used on the balconies & being walked in on peoples shoes & feet.
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.