“clean and pretty and great location but NOISE problems”

Waldorf Celestion Apartment Hotel
Reviewed 16 July 2014

quite nice property - great location - very clean and maybe if I had paid the extra for a superior 2 bedroom apartment we would not have had any issues. I don't generally complain or leave negative comments unless the problem is too much. Very unhappy with the whistling wind noise in our apartment. The unit faced 'inwards' to the other buildings, we were on the 9th floor and the windows did not seal properly. We had this extremely irritating noise from the 2nd bedroom where my daughter found it difficult to sleep, the front door and the balcony door. We complained and the management sent someone up to 'look' at the issue. No solution apparently - and it wasn't THAT windy in Auckland at the time. We jammed towels and cushions in every place we could but still the noise was audible. Additionally there seemed to be a sort of white noise from the air conditioner outside our room on the balcony. However, as we like to save power whenever possible, we turned the aircon off overnight and still we could hear this sound from the main bedroom - perhaps others' aircon. Didn't sleep well, despite the lovely comfy bed.

Room Tip: go for a superior room perhaps? facing out to the street - not into the centre of the complex.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank meesa61
Kirsty D, General Manager at Waldorf Celestion Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Meesa 61,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Celestion Hotel. We always appreciate the feedback on the standard of the apartment, to the location of our property. I can only apologize for the noise you experienced & I have looked into your comments. I have been informed that when there is strong winds some apartments can create airlocks which means there needs to be a window open a fraction to break the seal.
We hope you will give us the opportunity to create a more memorable stay the next time you are in Auckland.

Best regards

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was a great place...... right near everything we wanted. The room was really comfortable and had super comfortable beds. I'm a light sleeper and slept really well whilst staying here, they had block out curtains in there rooms so no light shining through in the morning and no street lights shining through and no noise during the night. The Indian restaurant down stairs does absolutely beautiful Indian food! the best I've had.

There's a Woolworths supermarket (or Countdown as the Kiwi's call it) near by so its handy to buy your own groceries.

The bathroom was nice and spacious, plenty of towels. There's really nothing that I can be negative about. If your staying in New Zealand stay here, you'll be glad you did.

Room Tip: You could always ask for a quiet room but our room was near a lift and I still didn't hear any n...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Adam J,

Thank you very much for your review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your comments on our proximity to different areas & I can only agree that the food is wonderful at 'Little India' which I have passed on your review as they do appreciate the feedback.
We do hope to see you again soon.

My kind regards

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Great central location.
One of the only family apartments we could find with a queen and two single beds ( 2 bedroom apartment).
Very clean, quiet ( we stayed on a higher floor (7th))
Well equipped kitchenette with supermarket a 5 minute walk away.
Very helpful and accommodating staff.
Couldn't fault this hotel for value, facilities and location!!!!

Room Tip: request apartment on a higher floor if possible
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Kirsty D, General Manager at Waldorf Celestion Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear andimckinney,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review!We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on our friendly staff and their service with a smile, as well as the amenities our hotel has to offer. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Chose this hotel for its great price for a 2 bedroom apartment. It's location is quite handy to everything like restaurants, supermarket and the CBD (short walk). Coin operated laundry facilities on site was also a plus. My only complaint is the parking facilites. There is an onsite parking but only for a limited number of cars and this must be pre-booked as it is on a first come first served basis ($25 per night). The other option is to park at Britomart public parking for $18 per night. This can be very frustrating for those travelling on their own with kids, the elderly, with disabilities or when it is raining as although it is nearby, it is still a good 10-15min walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Pre-book your on-site parking
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Janet M,

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is great to hear your positive feedback about our value, location and staff. I do apologise for any parking issues you had. I have made sure it is on our website & confirmation letters that parking must be booked as we have no way to increase on site parking. We also always ask if parking is required for all guests that book direct as our concern is for families travelling with little children, elderly, disabled or sick which we do regard as high priority.
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We booked this hotel in reasonable price from attractive photos from website, friendly staffs from front desk, room spacious with good window view, apartment neat and tidy with standard facilities, if provide room cleaning will be perfect, usually guests no meaning to request a full room service, but clear rubbish everyday seems reasonable. Good indian restaurant -- little india -- provide tasty meal, they save our life in few empty evenings. Location of apartment very handy but not disturbed by crowded, few mins walking distance to bus stops and ferry pier. This apartment will be recommended to my friends and family.

Room Tip: upper floor with view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear finejenny,

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on our friendly staff and their service with a smile, as well as the amenities our hotel has to offer. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future & have high regard for recommending us to your friends & family.
Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Yours in Hospitality

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We arrived on a flight after midnight...this was no problem at all for checking in and reception accepted our rather reduced cognitive abilities noting the hour! Our room was set up with the heating already on, which noting the temperature outside was a welcome relief. We showered and then crashed into bed, no waiting for the heat to come through, no waiting for electric blankets to heat up, such a joy. Full size dining table and full lounge. The bathroom was large which with a family of 4 was great, we could all be in there cleaning our teeth and not get in one another's way. Kitchen had everything we needed and the fridge was large so could accommodate all that one might buy at the Countdown (grocery store) directly over the road, what a fantastic location to be able to grab and go. Very close to the dock area for a day trip to Devonport by ferry. Our car pick up (Europcar) a 2 minute walk away. The motel kept our luggage while we collected the car. With a loading bay next to the motel (their garage driveway), we were loaded and on our way very quickly. $50 holding deposit did take 2 days to be reversed so I was glad that I used a card that I didn't need to otherwise transact on during our holiday. In every other way, highly recommended!

Room Tip: We were in room 407 (2 bdrm) which was at the back of the hotel so on a quiet street.

Dear Louby 76,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. We really appreciate your comments regarding our guest service, location & amenities we have to offer. Our staff members take their roles in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service, that our guests expect. I am at a loss to explain why some banks take 2 days to release the pre-auth taken on arrival, it is a frustration for all.
We look forward to having another opportunity to have you as our guest!
Best regards

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The 2 bedroom apartment we stayed in was great…lots of room for a family of four, with all the modern conveniences of home. We enjoyed quality sleep from the quiet 9th floor location, walked everywhere once we'd parked in the carpark close by (nice cheap rate) and really don't have anything to complain about at all! One comment I would make about the receptionist who welcomed us: she didn't look up at me until I'd been standing at the desk for a couple of minutes, she spoke to me while looking at her computer, before she looked at me…I thought this was slightly rude. However this wasn't experienced with any of the other desk staff, who were charming. I would have liked our room to be lightly cleaned after the first night, bed made etc, but as this was an apartment realized that maybe this was not included in the service. We stayed 2 nights. Would definitely book here again!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise. We had a glimpse of a sea view!

Dear Lisa F,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Celestion. It is great to hear your positive feedback about our value & location. I would like to thank you for bringing to my attention how you were acknowledged at reception which I have addressed with the staff member concerned.We look forward to seeing you again in the near future where you will have a much better experience on arrival.