“Awesome guide!”
Review of Waitakere Tours - Day Tours - CLOSED

Waitakere Tours - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Small group, personal, active day tours. Waitakere Ranges has been our family home for over a hundred years. Share with us the wild bush, wild black sand beaches, real kiwi kai(food) with real locals and get a sense of the history and culture which has help shape this beautiful place to what it is today.
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Shane is an excellant guide! He is knowledgeable about the area and his stories about how he spent his childhood in the forest are just so interesting! Shane brought us away from the usual tracks and showed us the hidden gems of the areas that you wouldnt know if you were there yourself. We were simply blown away by the breath taking views! He was very nice to talk to as well! And to make the trip even better, he brought home cooked food (from his wife!) And we finally got to taste what the locals eat! Highly recommend going on a tour with Shane!!!

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Get out of the city and see some of the real beauty of the Auckland area. Shane is the best person to show you the Waitakere Ranges.This is a small private and very personal tour. Shane will pick you up from your hotel and take you to the best places.Shane will share his love of this area with you and give you a tour to remember forever. His wife Ana with provide you with an amazing lunch. When in Auckland, contact Shane for a amazing expierence and you will be glad that you did. Shane and Ana desreve 10 stars for what they provide!!!

Reviewed 7 April 2013

I had an amazing time with Shane seeing the west coast of Auckland. I found out about the tour through my hotel (who HIGHLY recommended him-having tried it themselves) and so I trusted them blindly. Best decision ever. Unlike other commercial tours, this felt like I was hanging out with a friend all day. Shane took me to very un-touristy yet beautiful parts of the town - Black sand dunes in the middle of nowhere (breath-taking), water falls, some hiking trails and a black sand beach (Anawhata). The best part was his flexibility in organizing the tour. For example, he would tell me that we can go to Piha beach (which is more popular among tourists) but the other one was more secluded, so it was up to me to decide. (Luckily, I was the only person on the tour that day).

He is also really knowledgeable about the area having grown up there and lots of little stories to say. In general, he was a great conversationist, so it was really nice to chat with him as well, while enjoying the rest of the the tour.

To top it all, he had organized food for the entire day - a lovely home-cooked healthy lunch (by his wife) and had fresh fruits and juices for the day too. They came as lovely surprises after a tiring hike!

I'd highly recommend his tour, even for people who may have lived in Auckland for a while, since some of these places aren't highlighted in typical tourist guides or even known to some locals.

1  Thank Ohno1234
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We had a great day out with Shane visiting places that no other tour company would take you. His knowledge of the area, plant and animal life is exceptional as is his story telling of the areas visited as his family have been in the ranges for 5 generations. Highly recommended to anyone who just doesn't want to sit on a bus!

Reviewed 4 April 2013

I had a fabulous day with Shane and Waitakere Tours. He showed us some of his favorite places and spiced it up with stories about how he had played there as a child. I could really sense the love for the nature and the areas and it was with great entusiasme and pride that he showed us the different sights. That a real rarety. Thank you!