“Buonissimo!”
Review of Me Ne Frego - CLOSED

Me Ne Frego
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Lovely unique, quirky little restaurant. Chef/owner. Established several years. Open 365 days per year. Dinners only.
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

As real Italians we really enjoyed this restaurant. Food was extremely good and astonishing close (if not equal) to its original counterpart 20.000 km away. We didn't expect that much, so we were really impressed. Also, anyone in the restaurant is really Italian, which was a plus for us.

2  Thank Matteo D

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We were delighted to find an authentic Italian restaurant in New Zealand, after quite a number of disappointing attempts. The setting is simple and reminded us of some of the trattorias we frequented years ago in Rome. We began the meal with bruschetta which was as good as we have enjoyed. This was followed by some delicious scampi which were both fresh and very large. While not certain, the spaghetti tasted homemade and the octopus tender. We found the half liter of house Montepulciano basic but of good value. There is a nice selection of Italian wines which were well priced. The service was prompt and courteous. Will definitely return if back in Auckland.

1  Thank 100nations
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Really, reading the reviews not just of this place but many others one wonders if folk really do get out much. I keep reading comments like "short menu" and the "mash potato was underwhelming" and such like. Me no frego has quite a long menu with at least 20 choices for main (short means 5) and potato clearly from a packet. Come on guys. Anyway this is a decent local italian family restaurant and is none the worse for that with acceptable home style cooking. Excellent value for money, reasonable food and inexpensive but quality wine list. Restaurants please stop just stocking acidic white and green reds from NZ, it really is very poor. If me no frego can sell wine from across the world for $27 a bottle so can you!
Downsides, the view of the kitchen was that of a morgue, so quiet, its a little grubby, I cant read the menu in the available light and a little more depth of flavour would not have gone amiss but for the price you cant really argue. I have spent time on and off in Italy and this place would fit in fine. I know kiwis revel in it but please no beetroot, nobody else gets it especially europeans.

2  Thank mark w
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Beef cheeks and freshly made ravioli with pumpking and salvia. Fresh ingredients and authentic flavours without the cheating of cream or over buttery sauces.Cooked with passion and without compromise.
Only the potato mash was a little underwhelming otherwise the rating would have been 5 stars. I will surely go back and I cant wait to try the other appetizing dishes in the menu.

Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

After a long day working I just wanted to get a good meal, walking distance from where I was staying. What a find! It's small and a little noisy but so nice. Menu is hand written as is the wine list.My main course of beef cheeks was really good and served with a very nice side salad of greens and beetroot. It's very popular by the number of people who seemed to know the staff. I highly recommend this place for a great authentic Italian meal.