“Original breakfast ideas”

Ranked #89 of 2,359 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Price range: US$14 - US$28
Cuisines: Israeli
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Middle Eastern inspired breakfast, lunch and a family-style sharing dinner. Cooking has always been the focus of my life, I've been a cook since my early teens. However when I left Israel to study in the UK, it really dawned on me just how important good food is - how great food can lift your spirit and make you happy, and bad food can bring you down. I came to NZ from Israel in late 1997 with two little girls and pregnant with the third. The food I love was very hard to find and I missed it terribly, and so I opened the Lunch Box. Ima is my second venture in Auckland. Ima (pronounced EE-Mah) means mother in Hebrew. My food is simple, honest, healthy and nurturing, like mum's food (providing she is a great cook). At Ima the atmosphere is warm and casual. At Ima the atmosphere is warm and casual, we hope our guests feel immediately comfortable and at home. We invite you to enjoy our food - made with love and the finest ingredients - we know it will make you happy! - Yael Shochat, Owner
Reviewed 6 February 2014

If you're looking for something a little different when it comes to breakfast and appreciate good service, this place is for you. Great food, original ideas and fabulous service. Located in downtown Auckland, a few minutes walk from most hotels in the area.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We are regulars at this restaurant and enjoy the service and atmosphere.
Some of the dishes are VERY pricy for what you get so understand that before you go.
A lamb dish to be shared by 4 is 4 slices of lamb @ $ high 20's. Seems like a lot for that little meat.
But .... be clear the tastes and blends of tastes are lovely

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Visited on Friday 31st to celebrate my birthday (which had been spent on a campsite a couple of nights previously). Absolutely blown away - kicked off with a half bottle of Roederer - a champagne you hardly ever see on lists, let alone in halves, and were impressed by the rest of the wine list.
We were well advised by our two waitresses (one was training) and they were utterly charming throughout. To start we had brik (tuna in pastry with preserved lemon and egg) and lamb kibeh, for mains the stuffed chicken and halloumi. We treated ourselves to dessert - a mixed platter of sweet treats and a sweet cheese dish, the name of which escapes me, but it was truly delicious. (If you're reading this, Ima's, please put me out of my misery!)
We found the portions spot on, and left full, but still able to walk :0), the meal had us talking until late about how flavours had been achieved and how very, very special the food was. Getting back to the UK today, one of the first things we've told family about our NZ trip was Ima's. Highly recommended - it's already on our agenda for the next trip...whenever that may be.

2  Thank laloue
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Really excellent food but small portions and rather pricey. Staff were friendly and in good weather you can sit outside. Recommended, but don't be too hungry when you go.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Okay, I will admit I checked out Ima's in the web before arriving in New Zealand, but we only dined there at the end of our trip after we had learned that often it is best to ask locals and take their advice on where to eat. We arrived back in Auckland by train after two weeks of driving around the North Island and were staying near the Britomart, so it was logical to walk over to Fort and try Ima's. We were so glad we did. We arrived on a busy Friday night and every pub and restaurant along Fort was crammed with noisy patrons. Ima's remarkably still has seats, why I cannot imagine, but we walked in, saw an empty table for two along the wall with a view of the cooks at work and asked if we could sit there? At the suggestion of our server, we ordered an excellent Otagi rose and a muzes plate, while we considered our meals. We decided on the lamb shank, chicken and sabich. It was all excellent. I would say the lamb was among the best we tasted in NZ, the chicken dish (which I regret I cannot recall the name of) was savory and delicious, and the sabich perfectly complemented the meat dishes. So many flavours and smells, all so well balanced. My mouth is watering as I think about it. I commented to our waitress that when I hitch hiked around Israel 30 odd years ago, I certainly didn't encounter food like this. She responded that Israeli cuisine has come a long way since then, and Ima has her own ideas about food and spice combinations. She is so correct, and I whole heartedly recommend Ima's as one of the places to dine in Auckland.