“Warm and interesting food great atmosphere ”
Review of Ima Cuisine

Ima Cuisine
Ranked #96 of 2,427 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Price range: US$14 - US$27
Cuisines: Israeli
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Middle Eastern inspired breakfast, lunch and a family-style sharing dinner. Cooking has always been the focus of my life, I've been a cook since my early teens. However when I left Israel to study in the UK, it really dawned on me just how important good food is - how great food can lift your spirit and make you happy, and bad food can bring you down. I came to NZ from Israel in late 1997 with two little girls and pregnant with the third. The food I love was very hard to find and I missed it terribly, and so I opened the Lunch Box. Ima is my second venture in Auckland. Ima (pronounced EE-Mah) means mother in Hebrew. My food is simple, honest, healthy and nurturing, like mum's food (providing she is a great cook). At Ima the atmosphere is warm and casual. At Ima the atmosphere is warm and casual, we hope our guests feel immediately comfortable and at home. We invite you to enjoy our food - made with love and the finest ingredients - we know it will make you happy! - Yael Shochat, Owner
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Ima’s has a great interior that has a warm cosy feeling. Everything is inviting and the put freshly baked items on the counter as they cool. The menu is why you go there. Some of the dishes you have probably never heard of and would be lucky to find elsewhere in NZ. It is a struggle to pick something to eat as there so many dishes that you want to try. The food was excellent and it was a test of will power to pay and not leave with something else in a bag.

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

We were rather disappointed! Food was ok AND for that we paid for mains plus $13 per person for salad. The lady said the salad was included together with the mains but it wasn’t! It was quite confusing! Why I couldn’t buy just one salad? Well, the mains must have a salad as there is nothing else on the plate than what your main is... like it doesn’t come with any salad or side... so you have to have a salad. So by the time you pay for the main and $13 for the salad it comes down to a price of a fine dining restaurant. There were 2 of us and paid $26 just for salad to share and 2 small mains. So, it comes a price of a fine dinning restaurant. Well, I would like to say that place doesn’t come near any simple Fine dining restaurant. It looks very tired! So, we will never be back and don’t recommend anyone to dine there. There are many better places around to have a better dinner for the same price. Sorry, didn’t think of taking any photos...

1  Thank VicKul
Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

Not the usual spot for a casual business dinner, away from the hustle of the usual Auckland spots, Ima served up an delicious menu.

A large variety of fresh and lite salads to accompany some wonderful rib eye (cut off the bone at the table) and spiced chicken, the experience was great for a table sharing a relaxed meal.

Friendly hospitality with the feeling of a well served home meal.

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

There were nine of us and we had the salads and protein you pay $13 for the salads each and even though they charged us for 7 salads there was barely enough to go round. The portions were increased to do 7 of us it probably would have been enough for 2 or 3.

The protein elements were expensive and I some cases like the lamb very small.

The food was interesting and tasty - I just think there should have been much more of it especially as it was designed to share. The bill came to about $55 dollars per person so it wasn’t cheap- that did include alcohol.

I’m not sure I’d be rushing back in a large group. Maybe in smaller numbers it might be OK.

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

We were very impressed with the food, service and decor. It may not be the cheapest food , but we really loved what was presented. We ordered the mezzo platter $45 which feed the four of us . I could have just had that. Everything popped with flavour and you could tell it was freshly made. Even the pita bread was spectacular.
We ordered the salads $13 per head , which were fantastic with some better than others. The chicken was very tasty and although the lamb was tender, it was extremely fatty with not a lot of actual meet. The haloumi was to ‘die for’ and a must order dish.
Truly a wonderful experience and must visit place. Also all the staff were exceptional. This is a family business and you can tell they love what they do.

1  Thank Loislovestravelling