“Quality hotel, quiet and convenient location.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour

Ranked #3 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Quality hotel, quiet and convenient location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed for one night before a ferry trip to Waiheke. We had a harbour view room which was large and very comfortable. The view was mainly across a narrow waterway and directly into an adjoining apartment block, so would be worth requesting a room facing the Marina itself. Floor to ceiling windows had (very necessary) privacy blinds and blockout curtains. Fantastic quality bed and bedding. We had breakfast at the cafe by the waterside rather than take the restaurant option - good food selection and relaxing location. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the ferry terminal, but the advantage of this is that its location is away from the harbourside bars and restaurants and is much quieter. Service was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Being situated in Viaduct Harbour makes this hotel a great choice. We had a corner room overlooking the harbour and it was great - the room was spacious and the view over the harbour and city was great. I'd thoroughly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Shere, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

This is a nice location and the rooms are done to a high standard (at least the superior room I stayed in) but - they had the wrong details for my booking which meant it took twenty minutes to check in; the air conditioning in my room was pitiful meaning that I was incredibly hot, the sound-proofing on the entrance/road side is non-existent - it was very noisy, the free wifi is inadequate for a business user, and, worst of all, the bar closes at 11pm.......

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Middleman499519
Megan Z, Manager at Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Bonjour Middleman499519,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour. I would like to sincerely apologise for not having met your expectations while you were staying with us in Auckland.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide superior levels of personalised service to all guests; therefore your feedback is extremely valued & important to us. For those reasons, we are further investigating the points that you have raised in order to make all possible improvements. Should you want to discuss anything further please do not hesitate to contact me at megan.zacharkiw@sofitel.com.

Thank you once again for your feedback & we hope that we receive another opportunity to provide you a magnifique Sofitel experience.

Kindest Regards,

Megan Zacharkiw
Executive Assistant Manager
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed two nights in this hotel after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. Overall, the impressions pretty much reflected what has been said on Tripadvisor.
The staff are nice and friendly. I appreciate very much the suggestions and recommendations from the concierge desk. The restaurants and sightseeing spots they recommended were really awesome. The staff also went extra miles providing good information and making great arrangements. It really made my stay in Auckland unforgettable.
The type of the room I stayed was luxury internal water views room. The room was spacious with a high ceiling. It was also spotless and comfy. The bed was really wonderful. I slept pretty well on those nights staying there. The bathroom was also clean and spacious.
The breakfast buffet was great with a great variety of selections. I felt I did not need to have lunch after a big breakfast!!
If you need to work in the room, in-room dining would be a perfect choice. This hotel provided one of the most efficient services for in-room dining. I ordered in-room dining three times and were really happy about the quality of food and how efficient they delivered the food.
However, there were some flaws while I stayed there:
First of all, if you are not a member in the loyalty program of Accor Hotels, you will only have 300 MB internet access per day. It is really not sufficient, especially if you have more than one devices and you don't just use these devices for emails. Nowadays, many luxury hotels have provided complimentary unlimited access for the internet use. When I was staying at Hotel Sofitel, I could see quite a lot of rooms were empty from my balcony. So, if there are not many guests staying at the hotel, why not provide more convenience of internet access to the hotel guests?
Secondly, as my credit cards were stolen before visiting New Zealand and the replaced credit cards could not be delivered before I flew to New Zealand, I had to use cash for all the expenses. When I wanted to exchange some money at the hotel, I was told that I could only get the money from the exchange of 100 of any currency daily. That means, whether it is US dollars or Euros, you are only allowed to exchange 100 US dollars or 100 Euros daily. It was really inconvenient! I regretted that I should have exchanged more at the airport.
The worst experience was at the spa. When I made the booking, I was not informed that I should have arrived at the spa 10 minutes earlier. I arrived 2 or 3 minutes late and needed time for change. Worse, the treatment finished less than the promised time. When I challenged this at the reception, she said I was late and therefore the treatment time was shortened. Had I been informed about the policy, I would definitely arrived earlier. Though I was only 2 or 3 minutes late, the exact treatment time was 20 minutes shorter than promised. This is really awful and dishonest!!
If I visit Auckland again, I would still choose Sofitel and use the status of an Accor Hotels member for unlimited internet access. But, I would not want to use the spa treatment again (pricy and the quality was not that good either). Still, I thank the staff at the concierge, the housekeeping, and in-dining for really wonderful services!

Room Tip: If possible, choose the Marina view room. Mine was internal water view room, which faced to a lot of...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank margarita_red2006
Bonjour Margarita_red2006,

Thank you for your positive feedback and for taking the time to share your Sofitel experience.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your hotel room and bathroom, your dining experiences and the excellent service that you received.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy one of your spa treatments and I would like to sincerely apologise that we failed to meet your expectations in this regard. I know that our Spa Manager has already been in touch with you and your feedback is very much appreciated.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time that you are in Auckland.

Kindest regards,

Megan Zacharkiw
Executive Assistant Manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

From start to finish this 6day Christmas visit left good memories.
It is compact low rise yet an interesting building.
Not looking out to sea so "harbour view" rooms are not required. It is next a marina and has a central water view and many water features so internal view rooms seemed fine to us.
HOWEVER perhaps because of all this water there are biting insects about, but should be fine if you keep the window shut more than we did.
The bar is compact and not so special.
The coffee shop is rather good but not open in the evening I think.
The large restaurant "Lava" is smart and produces very good food but was often quiet as they do little promotion or specials. Our Christmas day buffet lunch was well managed and enjoyed.
We were rather shocked that staff keep a door open in the Gents toilet which leads to the room service trolly area. The trollies do not pass through so perhaps it was for ventilation ?
Our room was comfortable but the furniture inherited from previous owners is due an upgrade.
The pool was pleasant and the gym looked fine.

Room Tip: Inside facing sometimes have a view out across the marina, ask.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank f2s
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

After motelling around New Zealand we decided on a treat so spent one night at the Sofitel. The service was outstanding from the time we pulled up to the door. Our room was beautiful and dinner was outstanding, although the wine prices are up there. Great location on the Viaduct.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple