“nice hostel”

Ranked #79 of 115 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
Busselton, Australia
“nice hostel”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

sliver fern is a better than average backpackers.

The first thing I noticed was that it was clean, clean toilets, kitchen and dorms. The place appears to be new or very well maintained.

For a free backpackers breakfast, the breakfast was good.

My dorm room was clean, heated with a cormfortable mattress.

The kitchen was well equipped and large enough that we were not crowded whilst cooking. Plenty of space in the fridge to store all my food.

The place had a positive vibe, the manager Dominic went out of his way to be helpful, we booked for two nights, ended up staying week.

Well located, easy access using public transport.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Andrew H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Grand Turk
Reviewed 22 October 2012

In at 9pm, out at 5am - no frills neccesary - just needed a quick place to sleep and be able to park my car. It's right downtown (near the Aotea Square), amazingly clean, reception was extremely helpful and friendly and the bed was totally comfy. Very quiet, never heard a peep outside my door and no street noise either. I had a private room with shared bathroom for $75. Never saw anyone in the shower or toilet area. Room was bigger than I thought it would be, good lighting to read, two comfy chairs plus side table. Nice big mirror as well. Curtains are dark and I can imagine if you sleep past 5am, good to keep the light out. Will definitely return!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Stayed here two nights when I first moved to Auckland and met up with some friends from the UK.

Hostel wasn't very social and there seemed to be no activities going on.

I found it overpriced, I payed around $28NZ per night for a 6 bedded dorm, wheras friends had booked through a 3rd party website and were adament it was much cheaper.
Parking was $8per night which I would consider cheap for central city.

50mb of wifi internet free then you have to pay.

Breakfast finishes at 9am, we made the dumb mistake of pressuming it was 10am.. like every other hostel we've been to.. in the world.. so missed out on that.
Check out is 10am and they have big signs to inform you they will charge you $10 per hour for every hour after that. Oh as well as signs saying STRICTLY NO REFUNDS. So I wouldnt book too many nights in advance.

Key deposit is $50 as they have a ridiculously complicated key... this scared me as I have lost many hostel keys previously.... but luckily the hostels have been awesome and not cared.

Basically anything/everything costs extra money in this hostel and there was no vibe. I wouldnt stay here again, but would say stay here if you need one or two nights of quiet...
Was good location, clean, quiet...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have stayed in better hostels; however for the one night I was there it was fine. But definitely a no thrills hostel. It was clean, and the rooms were fairly spacious. It was reasonably cheap so in that respect it is great value. There was free breakfast, the usual basics: toast and cereal.
The kitchen space is limited, and lots of washing up was pilling up on the sides so I opted to eat out.
I stayed in a dorm of 10, and had the top bunk; there were no ladders to get up top. So when I went to bed I found myself struggling to get up in the dark (not wanting to turn on the light as quite a few people were sleeping). There is no space to lock your bags away, which isn’t too much of an issue as I have a lock on mine. It did mean that people had left their bags open across the floor. The location is fairly good, only a 10 minute walk into the heart. I think for one or two nights this hostel is good value, but I would not have wanted to spend long there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Chester
Reviewed 31 July 2012

A good, clean hostel, with friendly staff. Nothing exceptional about the place but it's reasonably well located, and you get breakfast included. The Kitchen and bathroom facilites were good, and I stated above everything was clean. Though I'm unsure why you need to request a blanket, rather than just being given a sheet to sleep under.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This hostel was the first stay for four friends and myself on our two week New Zealand adventure. We were upgraded to a 8 bed dorm which had no one else in it. The beds were comfortable, the kitchen was spotless and the showers were hot. You get a free 15 minute internet voucher when you check in. Very nice place. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Alrewas
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Easier to just do a list of things:
No heating any where
The guy who runs/part owns it is just plain arrogant and not interested in anything except takin your money.
Went for breakfast 08.55 it finishes at 09.00 I tell him there's no bread left he says it's 9 and finished!
TV room is freezing as they have air con on all the time and only lows cold, ask for a heater and he looks at you as thou you are from another planet.
I could go on but it's all gloom so go else where.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!