“Bad experiment, and so much extra.”

Silver Fern Backpackers
Ranked #79 of 108 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
Clichy-Sous-Bois, France
“Bad experiment, and so much extra.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

Arrived from Paihia, a friend and I booked a private room for 2.

- 1 when we arrived they explained that room was booked by 3 people then instead , they gave us a dorm, but for SAME PRICE than i Double room..., even with discussing with the landlord, it was impossible to find ANY arrangement, then BEWARE !!

- 2 I REALLY dont understand how people could find this place quiet. i had a guitare player (customer of the hotel) just under my windows and bunch of people w laith playing till 2:30am !!

- if you dare to stay just 20 mn more after 10 am checkin, (for a shower for instance) it 'll cost you $5 (never experimented this in other backapck)

internet credit was good.
Only
1 thing is sure, its my very LAST time in that place

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank staazey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lyon, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

I booked in this hostel because it was away from the busy and noisy city centre. And I got what I wanted, it's very quiet, not party going on late at night. It is a bit of walk, 15min away from the quay and just 10 from Queen street (and just 5 min to the sky tower). It didn't bother me at all though.

The hostel itself is very clean which I was very happy about. The kitchen was massive, lots of room to seat and was one of the cleanest I saw in an hostel .
The communal area is very big too, with lots of couches, nice place to socialize , everybody hangs out in there on the evening.
They also have a cinema room , laundery, free wifi internet.No bar (BYO in lounge and kitchen allowed).
I found they didn't have many showers, but I never had to queue, so not a problem.

I was in a 6 bed drom .We had enough room to put our suitcase and stuff. the bed was confortable and the sheet clean.
the staff was helpful, they are keen to give you information if you need help for anything . they gave phonecalls for me.

they offer a store room for 2$ a day.

I would happily stay in this hostel again. Clean, quiet and close from the city centre .

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Busselton, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

sliver fern is a better than average backpackers.

The first thing I noticed was that it was clean, clean toilets, kitchen and dorms. The place appears to be new or very well maintained.

For a free backpackers breakfast, the breakfast was good.

My dorm room was clean, heated with a cormfortable mattress.

The kitchen was well equipped and large enough that we were not crowded whilst cooking. Plenty of space in the fridge to store all my food.

The place had a positive vibe, the manager Dominic went out of his way to be helpful, we booked for two nights, ended up staying week.

Well located, easy access using public transport.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Andrew H
Grand Turk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

In at 9pm, out at 5am - no frills neccesary - just needed a quick place to sleep and be able to park my car. It's right downtown (near the Aotea Square), amazingly clean, reception was extremely helpful and friendly and the bed was totally comfy. Very quiet, never heard a peep outside my door and no street noise either. I had a private room with shared bathroom for $75. Never saw anyone in the shower or toilet area. Room was bigger than I thought it would be, good lighting to read, two comfy chairs plus side table. Nice big mirror as well. Curtains are dark and I can imagine if you sleep past 5am, good to keep the light out. Will definitely return!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

Stayed here two nights when I first moved to Auckland and met up with some friends from the UK.

Hostel wasn't very social and there seemed to be no activities going on.

I found it overpriced, I payed around $28NZ per night for a 6 bedded dorm, wheras friends had booked through a 3rd party website and were adament it was much cheaper.
Parking was $8per night which I would consider cheap for central city.

50mb of wifi internet free then you have to pay.

Breakfast finishes at 9am, we made the dumb mistake of pressuming it was 10am.. like every other hostel we've been to.. in the world.. so missed out on that.
Check out is 10am and they have big signs to inform you they will charge you $10 per hour for every hour after that. Oh as well as signs saying STRICTLY NO REFUNDS. So I wouldnt book too many nights in advance.

Key deposit is $50 as they have a ridiculously complicated key... this scared me as I have lost many hostel keys previously.... but luckily the hostels have been awesome and not cared.

Basically anything/everything costs extra money in this hostel and there was no vibe. I wouldnt stay here again, but would say stay here if you need one or two nights of quiet...
Was good location, clean, quiet...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have stayed in better hostels; however for the one night I was there it was fine. But definitely a no thrills hostel. It was clean, and the rooms were fairly spacious. It was reasonably cheap so in that respect it is great value. There was free breakfast, the usual basics: toast and cereal.
The kitchen space is limited, and lots of washing up was pilling up on the sides so I opted to eat out.
I stayed in a dorm of 10, and had the top bunk; there were no ladders to get up top. So when I went to bed I found myself struggling to get up in the dark (not wanting to turn on the light as quite a few people were sleeping). There is no space to lock your bags away, which isn’t too much of an issue as I have a lock on mine. It did mean that people had left their bags open across the floor. The location is fairly good, only a 10 minute walk into the heart. I think for one or two nights this hostel is good value, but I would not have wanted to spend long there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Chester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

A good, clean hostel, with friendly staff. Nothing exceptional about the place but it's reasonably well located, and you get breakfast included. The Kitchen and bathroom facilites were good, and I stated above everything was clean. Though I'm unsure why you need to request a blanket, rather than just being given a sheet to sleep under.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo