“Top of the Class”

Silver Fern Backpackers
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We stayed here while we went to a concert at vector Arena, the hostel was very clean and comfortable. It had an excellent kitchen and lounge areas. The pool table was our popular spot to relax by and have a few beers. The staff were cool and friendly and the hostel was well run and looked very new.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dan C
There are newer reviews for Silver Fern Backpackers

Reviewed 20 April 2013

Stayed here for several nights....very clean, well equipped kitchen,etc.....but what is it with the money scrounging? If they could charge extra for breathing, they would!! There are NO extras in this place....pity because it is well run. And the staff could benefit from being a little more pleasant....the morose look behind the desk is not a good look!

Room Tip: Beware the rooms over or next to the veranda....impossible to sleep when crowd gathers there!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kathleen M
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Wanted somewhere to stay in Auckland that was fairly close to the city centre and from the silverfern website this backpackers looked perfect. DON'T BE FOOLED! I arrived there and was asked for a $50 key deposit which is, I think, beyond ridiculous. Everywhere else I have stayed it has been around $20 and so it was lucky I had some cash on me. I then eventually found my room, they haven't half made it like a maze having to go upstairs and down stairs a million times. Next thing, the room stinks, it has 10 beds in it and one tiny window...think it needs some ventilation desperately! Once settled in I then went to ask the women at the desk about various tours and they didn't understand me or know anything about anything. Was really unhelpful especially as I am travelling on my own. Later on I then went to use the bathroom...these smell really bad too and something obviously leaks as the floor is wet and dirty. The smell is the worst though. I guess it's not all bad though, they do have a spacious kitchen area and a big tv room which is nice to relax in. They do have lots of extra costs though for being late and things. Also parking is $8 per day. No one told me this so my car nearly got towed away. Again not very helpful. As a result of all this I shall not be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank DottyCharlotte
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I got a mixed 8-bed room, for which I paid +28 nz dollars and the room was first level underground, with tiny windows, plus, when I got to the room they were painting! that same smell kept caged indoors at night, it was stinking and really made you sick.. how can they be so ridiculous to offer rooms with tiny windows underground while they are doing painting work!!!
Plus, at night, with no prior warning, they close the kitchen, which is the only normal way to reach the rooms underground. you have to go to the other side of the building, go upstairs and then downstairs again!!! Of course, discover it yourself since the reception is locked and there is no one there to help at night, although it is before midnight. You really feel like going to a vault through super narrow stairs--
So, bear in mind you will not be able to grab any of you food after 10 00 or something
Plus, no breakfast included as they say in www.booking.com, bathrooms are disgusting: toilets get flooded with the water from the showers on the other side... seriously awful... only 2 toilets for 3 rooms with at least 8 beds each... and on top of that, the floor is all full of water.
For the same price you can get any MUCH better hostel.
The tiny windows face the ground floor at the door of the hostel, where everyone goes to smoke and chat at night, so you cannot even have a quite sleep: people are right next to the window... so all the echo comes inside as if they were inside the room.
So, 28 dollars for this room???? can't believe it...

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hostel. Auckland is full of beautiful areas and nice hostels with parks. This on...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Naty V
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Cheap enough, central location. Bathrooms and rooms were in tidy condition. Rooms were very hot and only a tiny window that didn't let in air flow which made it difficult to sleep. This would only really be an issue from Dec-Mar

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2013

The worst hostel I have stayed in in the whole of New Zealand... By far. Walked up and there were lots of people sitting outside in the car park... As soon as I felt the temperature outside I understood why. Sweaty and stale and horrendously hot. They demand $50(!!!!) for a key deposit... And if you pay by card it's a 5% surcharge, so unless you have tonnes of cash on you on arrival you're screwed. The receptionist handed me a bunch of sheets, I found my room was even hotter than the hallways if possible, dirty (toothpaste all over the table which was never cleaned off throughout my stay) and bunks with plain mattresses. Had to make your own bed from scratch - sorry what exactly am I paying for?! Unbearable in room, no fan, windows didn't open. Asked for a fan.... None. Ridiculous. Free breakfast on the website - it's a lie. It refers to tea and coffee and milk powder. If you want to remain in the hostel after 10am checkout it's $5 for 4hrs or $10 for the day... Such cheek! You have to pay for luggage storage as well. Often no toilet paper, and no soap in bathroom dispensers for entire stay. Obviously not cleaned well. Really really grim hostel, please do not stay here, you can do so much better for your money elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Emma C
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I stayed for 5 nights and yes the showers, bathrooms and kitchen are all good but the second I walked through my 6 dorm room door the only word popping out was "grim, grim, grim, grim, grim".
The whole room was covered in everyones posessions as the only furniture provided was 3 bunks, 1 coffee table, two chairs and TWO hooks on the back of the door! Not a single shelf, cupboard or storage container ANYWHERE so it was not very nice to be welcomed by a floordrobe.
At the desk I'd been handed a bed sheet, a pillow and a cover sheet that were threadbare and a that greyish yellow colour that makes you nervous to sleep on them.
One thing for certain it was not quiet. It's right next to a 4 laned major road that is heaving with traffic by 7am so no need for an alarm and I was definately still awake after 1am listening to everyone stood in the communal area/the front door. The room was stifling as there is no form of air con/fans etc.
The 50 dollar key deposit is steep for people on a tight budget.

My biggest complaint though is that the owner wouldn't even let me put my bags in a room I'd already paid for, depsite offering to leave my ID etc, to go and get money for the deposit.

I definately will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo