“Waitomo Caves and Rotorua Experience”

GreatSights New Zealand Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
US$46.19*
and up
Auckland City Highlights Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1987, GreatSights New Zealand operates the most comprehensive range of premium day sightseeing tours in New Zealand. Our nationwide network provides luxury sightseeing tours to destinations throughout New Zealand. Day tours from Auckland include the Bay of Islands, Waitomo Caves, Rotorua and the Hobbiton Movie Set. Everything is taken care of when you travel with GreatSights. Entrance fees are included within the tour price and optional extras like lunches can be added if required. Complimentary hotel transfers are provided on most tours and our experienced local driver guides will keep you entertained with informative commentary throughout the tour.
Halifax, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Waitomo Caves and Rotorua Experience”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

My Driver on October 14th was Kenny. I found his commentary throughout the trip quite interesting. He was pleasant and answered questions freely. We were served a breakfast snack of fresh fruit at the start of the tour to eat on the bus which was yummy and much appreciated as I didn't take the time to track down breakfast beforehand. I believe that was included in the regular cost of the tour.

I selected this tour because of the free WiFi, but I don't think I ended up using it, so I don't know how good it was.

Our first stop was the Waitomo Glow Worm cave. The commentary provided by the cave guide was also very interesting. The glow worm cave itself was quite a sight!

I paid extra for lunch to be supplied on the tour and received that upon arriving back at the coach after the cave. It was delicious! I highly recommend payment for this add on as there is not really a lot of time at this location after the cave tour. It is probably possible to grab something from the on-site cafeteria, but one might have issues on a busy day, or prefer to take in the wonderful surroundings instead.

I continued on to do the Agrodome and te Puia tours. A yummy afternoon snack was provided after the tours. We were dropped off at our hotels and Kenny had already dropped my bags off for me while we were at our last tour.

If this is your first time in the area, and you're not driving yourself, this seems to be the best way to travel from Auckland to Rotorua (or vice versa). My one complaint would be the Agrodome. While there was nothing really wrong with it, I didn't feel I got anything out of it. While it was fun, it felt like wasted time. I would have rather used that extra time at te Puia to have more time to explore the Maori village or trails around the Thermal area.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank AuroraLee1013

Melbourne, Australia
“ChristChurch to Queenstown - More time spent on the coach rather outside”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This trip is more like a pickup and drop service rather than an actual tour. The driver was more knowledgeable and the commentry throughout the trip was very valuable and interesting. The downside was there were only a few stops on the way from Christchurch to Queenstown and we were allowed to spend only 5-10 times outside on every stop. We were litreally rushed into the coach because of time contraints and there were more people to be picked up on the way. we only spent 10 minutes on the Iconic Lake Tekapo stop which was very disappointing. My recommondation would be to drive and spend a day at Mt cook and travel to Queenstown the next day as there are so many nice places to be seen between Christchurch and Queenstown which cannot be covered in a day trip.

Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Deserves a ZERO rating”
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We booked our Auckland City Sights + Waiheke Island wine tasting your about 2 months prior and when we marched up there on tour day they casually told us that we could not be accommodated on the island part of the tour. They couldn't have told us this when we called them a day in advance to confirm our pickup time and address. Also, the lady at the counter was rude and unprofessional. We were obviously upset about the news and instead of giving us her full attention to solve the issue she had to pick up calls and chat to her colleague whilst we were made to waste even more time waiting for her to respond. When we finally got through to her supervisor more time had been wasted and they were in no hurry to ensure that we got a full refund. We wasted half a day just hunting the agent down ourselves (we booked online) and getting that refund. All in all, a horrible experience. Never again.

3 Thank Tjia C
GreatSightsNZ, Marketing specialist at GreatSights New Zealand Day Tours, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Hi M-BChew,

We're very sorry to hear of the difficulties with your booking and the service you received. We pride ourselves on providing friendly and professional customer service and it appears we fell short on this occasion. We'd appreciate it if you could email us using the link at the top of our listing and confirm your booking details so we can investigate and follow up with you personally.

Once again, apologies for your unsatisfactory experience.
packmybagsreadytogo
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Don't use Great Sights”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We were very excited and spent a lot of money to take this tour to the Glow Worm caves and Hobbiton. The tour company was terrible. We left an hour late and therefore only had 25 minutes at the glow caves.. not enough time. The driver drove like a crazy person trying to make up time (and it really wasn't his fault, he was told to wait for the two rude people who came late)

We were supposed to have a picnic lunch but ended up eating on the bus.
Hobbiton was WONDERFUL -- the attraction is just amazing

But I would not recommend this tour company. Do some research and find another or drive yourself. Was not worth the money charged.

1 Thank packmybagsreadytogo
GreatSightsNZ, Marketing specialist at GreatSights New Zealand Day Tours, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review of your tour. It's unfortunate that your departure was delayed by other passengers, and I'm sorry to hear that this affected the length of your tour of the Waitomo Caves.

The picnic-style lunch for this tour is served on board the coach en route to Hobbiton, as mentioned on our website.

It's good to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Hobbiton Movie set. All the best for your future travels.
malaysia
“Great way to travel without Driving”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had in our last month's tour to New Zealand, a few trip with Greatsights for Milford Coach Day tour, Queenstown to Mount Cook, Mount Cook to Christchurch, Rotorua Day tour with Hobbiton Movie Set and enroute to Auckland.

Throughout the journeys on multiple days, in general we had good and friendly drivers who are professional and in delivering the commentaries of the locations. Multiple short stops are made along the tours for photos shoot and tea break. However, we do wish to have at least another 10 mins at Lake Tekapo.
Our baggage transfers from coach to coach was handled so well that we need not worry about carrying them especially on the tour for Rotorua, Hobbitton to Auckland.

Highly recommend if you do not wish to be tired by driving. Ride on and have the knowledge of the places you visit along the way with the commentaries.

Visited November 2013