“Memorable stay”
Review of Quest on Hobson

Quest on Hobson
Reviewed 24 May 2013

The rooms are really nice and clean with all the things which we needed. Rooms having nice air-conditioning system. And the main thing is it is situated in the heart of the city which is really awesome. queen street by walking 3 minutes away, Britomart train and bus station only 8 mins away by walk, awesome restaurants at viaduct harbour just 5 mins walk, and the biggest entertainment area of Auckland which is " Skycity " just on the other side of the road across the signals. And the staff is really helpful and friendly. I will recommend my friends and relatives about this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floors are really big and had a really big balconies.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Harsh K, Owner at Quest on Hobson, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you fro taking time out to review our property. It was a pleasure seeing you again and we are pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Quest on Hobson

Reviewed 20 May 2013

I have decided to edit my review for this place because of all the dramas I had to deal with months after I have left. This place might be cheap but everything else was awful, in the first response from the manager he said he didn’t charge a penalty fee ($150) where he did and I have received a refund after I made a formal complaint to the head office.

The second was the accusation of false pictures of my stay, I have never said the room was untidy and the room was okay but the windows weren’t nor were the tableware, all they had to do was to apologise for the mistake instead of accusing guests for posting false images. Everything I have written was true and the only one who wasn’t telling the truth was the hotel manager for lying about the fee he had charged and then had to refund after the head office ordered him to. I would AVOID this place at any cost.

Below is the original review.

Stayed at this hotel when I went back to Auckland for a visit but it was quite a bad experience and it has certainly put me off staying at another Quest Service Apartment again. When I made the booking I requested a room on a higher floor but then was given a room on the 3rd floor and looking at the back of another apartment block which was 3 metres away!

The room was okay but the windows were extremely filthy (this cannot be caused by me within 3 days of stay for sure) and the tableware were filthy as well and I didn’t know if they were cleaned properly so I have decided to wash them all again in the dishwasher, just as well I had a dishwasher in the room.

Internet was not included but I was shocked to see how much they were charging for using Wi-Fi. So if you are staying here try to get a package which includes the internet otherwise be prepared to pay for it.

Unfortunately I had a family emergency and had to go to leave and I tried to tell the manager I had to cancel the next booking. It was about 40 hours when I notified him because the office was closed when I realised I had to but the manager still insists to charge the cancellation charge no matter what, it was quite disappointing because it wasn’t like the hotel was fully booked and they had to turn people away. The manager said he will keep the room for me until the day I check in but unfortunately I had to go so that was an useless offer anyway. Also there is a charge on the credit card fees too, pay in debt card if you could.

Overall I would not stay here again and I only chose to stay there because I couldn’t find other places in the city that week but now I will make sure I avoid it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Walkman88
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I prefer staying in appartments to hotel and this place is just an amazing value for money. The place is centrally located and you can walk to the waterfront and enjoy the amazing night life auckland has. I will be back soon.

Room Tip: book early and save, if you can.. i never do :(
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Harsh K, General Manager at Quest on Hobson, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you fro taking time out to review our property. We are pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

We first planned to stay in Quest on Hobson for two days , but found it worth staying longer, so we stayed for three more days. The location is good and staff are nice----- patient and helpful. We also like the room --- clean and with well-equipped kitchen.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Harsh K, General Manager at Quest on Hobson, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking out time to submit your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the near future.
Have a great week ahead.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

Arrived for a 1 week stay at Quest. Amenities and Service are good. But not a good service for the cost we spend at Quest.
On the day of checkout, I was shocked to see the telephone call bill. An ISD call for about 4-5 mins was charged $20.55, to my surprise the bill is having all duplicate charges.
When questioned the same, the people at reception will reply that is the invoice generated from vendor co. nothing is there in there hands, and I have to pay as it is. - IF nothing is there in there hands, why they have to run a hotel - Else they should provide the bill receipt of vendor co.
When enquired about call timings and duration of call list, the receptionist is not willing to provide the data, as he also knows that they are wantedly charging more by duplicating the calls list.
After taking pain myself by explaining to what number I called and what is the duration and duplicacy in bill, He agreed and he will return any payment after checking the same from vendor co. , and if they finds to be duplicates. I dont know when the bill itself shows duplicate call timings with timestamps.
Went to Quest for almost 4-5 times to check the same about vendor feedback, but people over there are asking to meet the manager, who is not available till this time.
Finally met the manager, but he is replying the same.
Finally decided to file a case in consumer affairs against Quest on Hobson.

As, I dont want these kind of cheat to happen in Auckland, and Auckland should be free from crime.

Shortly, will be communicating the judgement...

--- Never ever suggest anyone to choose quest on hobson ---

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank sun s
Harsh K, General Manager at Quest on Hobson, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Dear Guest,
You made 4 x international phone calls to India at peak time from your hotel phone, which ranged from 2-4 minutes each, making international calls to India in peak time can cost $3per min from a commercial phone.
I have met you 3-4 times and tried to explain you this. We have provided you with a copy of your phone bill as well as a copy of PABX from the phone company.
I feel was a bit childish and uncalled for you to write this, specially when you admitted that you did make the call but , but still didnt want to pay your bill.
I feel you need to accept the fact that you made quite few international calls from a hotel phone at peak time, which cost you $20.00 not duplicates and next time if you go to a hotel, ask the cost of making an international call or buy a calling card.
Sincerely

Reviewed 17 March 2013

I'm surprised to read the complaints about poor housekeeping here. I stayed on 2 separate occasions a week apart and found the place to be spotless and very quiet. I had a room facing the apartment next door which dimisnishes the light but also the noise. The place is very well equipped - more than I needed - full kitchen, dishwasher, washer and dryer. .
I'm not a big fan of the Auckland CBD but if you are just staying the night to make connections in the morning, this is very convenient - right across the street from Sky City and the Inter-City bus terminal. About a 10 minute walk to Britomart or the Viaduct. There's a good Malaysian restaurant, The Mustard Seed, just a block up the street.
I found the staff helpful and obliging - they held a small travel bag for me between bookings so that I didn't have to drag unecessary apparel around.
Although I was happy and comfortable here, I will say that the lobby/reception area is cramped and unappealing, the wifi charges are absurd and the suites though very functional are stark and charmless.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Harsh K, General Manager at Quest on Hobson, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking out time to submit your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

I arrived for a 3 day stay and decided on these premises as I could not get into any of the other Quest premises in Auckland where I usually stay. I drive a medium SUV and it took all my skills to park in the car park allocated, both wheels were on the white lines, it is tiny. The lobby entrance from the basement was dirty both the floor and finger prints on the lift doors. Upon arrival in the room on the 4th floor it was very hot, and the airconditioner being in the sitting area it took some 3 hours for the bedroom to cool down. This was repeated for the next 2 days as housekeeping turned off everything each day. Housekeeping, well there seems to be a systemic failure of housekeeping, my crockery/cutlery was dirty, and the second day I had to ask for more towels as only one was left after servicing. The bathroom was not cleaned at all during my stay and the stainless sink in the kitchen was yellowed from lack of cleaning. Usually at other Quests my sheets are changed every second day but they were not at all here during my stay. In the literature in the room it said car parking was $15 per day but I was charged $20
On the morning I left the lift floor was sticky underfoot from not being cleaned, these are almost new lodgings and if Management could rectify these cleaning issues this establishment would be a lot more desirable. Also the emergency escape plans on the back of the door list rooms in alphabetical order whereas they are actually number listed on the doors, could be confusing in an emergency. I am aware management read and respond to these experiences and would hope they "Take on Board" my comments accordingly.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Ian P

Dear Ian,

Thank you for taking out time to submit your feedback, it is only through customers we can know if we are providing good service and all our standards are being followed by our staff.

I have investigated your cleaning matter and discovered that you checked in Sunday and checked out Wednesday, our bed linen change policy is every 3-days, however you departed that day. In saying that there is no excuse for not providing you sufficient towels or your kitchen not being cleaned properly. For this I sincerely apologise and as you said all your comments have been taken on-board. The message has been conveyed to the head cleaner in clear terms, to ensure proper cleaning standards are adhered to.

With regards to car-parking, the car-parks are within legal standards and can easily fit a medium to big saloon.

Again I apologise if all the above has caused you inconvenience and hope that you will take this as a one off incident.