“Great place to stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Green Point, Australia
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

This is a really nice hotel to stay at when you are in auckland. There are some great views from the rooms at the top over auckland harbour and the city. It's only a very short walk down to the harbour precinct area, and only 2 mins walk to the main shopping strip.
Rooms are always clean, tidy, the food whether it's from room service or in the restaurant is really very good. There is a great menu selection if you are looking to eat healthily while you are away.
I have no hesitation to recommend this hotel to those visiting auckland.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear PJayGosfordNSW,

A HUGE THANK YOU for your wonderful FIVE STAR REVIEW!!!!! I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the Hotel to be a good base for exploring the City. Thank you for your kind words regarding regarding our clean and tidy rooms. We had recently launched our new restaurant and room service menu and its great to hear positive comments like yours which is a real motivator.
I love your comment " I have no hesitation to recommend this hotel to those visiting auckland" this is exactly what we are working towards and I am glad we are on the right track.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - A very cosy corner between NZ and your heart!
E-mail: johnson.joseph@ihg.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

For the price, the rooms here are comfortable, but average. The higher the room, the better the view, so 16 or above is preferable. Breakfast is included, and the breakfast buffet is extensive if not terribly inspired. However, the a la carte menu at lunch and dinner provided very good food (being there over the New Year's public holidays, we did not have many restaurant choices nearby, although usually there would be a number of good places open). What distinguishes this hotel, however, is the exceptional staff. My husband and I were there with two disabled family members - one elderly, and both in wheelchairs. Each member of the staff with whom we interacted - concierge, reception, restaurant, housekeeping - was extremely helpful and solicitous, and two staff members assisted our elderly female relative with dressing and make-up and with going shopping the day before our arrival.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Erica M,

Thank you for your great FOUR STAR REVIEW!!!! I was pleased to read you had a great stay with us. We have a Best Price Guarantee on www.ihg.com , were you are guaranteed best available prices, or your first night is free.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our exceptional team. Yes, you are right! This is what distinguishes us from the rest. I am a true believer of the saying " Staff over Stuff!! " meaning- its not the building and the gadgets which makes the difference but its the team that creates great memories and experiences , Its a delight to read that we have got it right!!

Kind regards,

Johnson Joseph & The Memory Makers!
Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - We understand the real YOU!!
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Be warned, if you stay here for more than a few nights, when your account runs over 2000NZD, they want to charge your credit card immediately.
We are/were booked for 16 nights, on night 7, a letter appears under the door demanding payment for account to date. As a guest (let alone an IHG elite member), I find this abhorrent. They already preauthorise a credit card on arrival, then they want to charge more. They are happy to accept a long term booking, then want to treat it as a "pay as you go"

Apparently they have a long term parking arrangement with the car park next door. Arranging a card for this takes 2 days, in the meantime you get to pay between 25 and 35 per day.

The restaurant is great, good food and friendly service.

Never again for us, in fact the whole IHG experience has been spoilt as a result of this hotels attitude.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear DxbPete,

What a disappointment for me,for us. I do sincerely apologise for all the inconvenience this may have caused. I am aware that our Guest Experience Manager have spoken to you and resolved your concern to your satisfaction.
Thank you for your comments regarding our restaurant and our friendly service. Guest service is our no:1 priority and we will do everything to make it right for you.

Enjoy the rest of your stay with us and I do hope you continue to stay with us in future as we value your loyalty.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Putting our guest at the heart of everything we do!!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Crowne Plaza.

We loved the location, walking distance from everything you need in the city and teh beach.

The breakfasts were awesome and the breakfast staff were fantastic, particularly 'Constance' who catered the Club breakfast on the 28th floor.

The only downside is the parking which is $24 per night and very tight. We had a rough time getting our rental van in and out.

Other than that, I'd definitely recommend a stay here!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear GregariousOne,

Thank you for your review of the Hotel. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the Hotel to be a good base for exploring the City. Great to hear that you loved our breakfast offering. I will certainly pass on your comments to Constance who I am sure will be delighted!
Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the parking, though the parking is located next to the hotel, we do not manage it. I can understand your frustration regarding parking being quite tight especially for van to fit in however cars can fit in easily and there are over 800 car park spaces available.
Guest service is our number 1 priority so it is always a delight to read that we have got it right. I will make sure the team see your kind words.

Johnson Joseph & The Memory Makers
Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Your Exploration Base!
Napier, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Checked in for an extra night and the front desk was very accommodating so as we didn't have to change rooms. Excellent breakfasts and we looked the little extras like the fresh fruit juicing machine. Very good gym as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear McMoc,

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased to read you had a good stay with us and you found our team accommodating to your needs. We always do our best to make your stay hassle free so that you can sit back, relax and we will do whatever it takes to make your stay a memorable one.
Our breakfast is quite elaborate and glad you noticed all the little extras we put on the buffet to ensure we take care of your well being as well. Very rarely do we get our gym mentioned as not many use them, I'm looking forward to more positive comments on our gym as one of the most popular New Year's resolutions is " Hit the gym atleast thrice a week!"

Thank you once again for your kind words and I look forward to welcome you in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

We had to change our previously fixed booking at the last minute due to a missed flight connection in LA. The staff were so helpful and accommodating both in changing the booking and helpful when we arrived. We will return!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear GStuggs,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you missed flight connection, I can understand how frustrating this can be as I have experienced it myself travelling with a 2 year old.
I am pleased to hear that my team took good care of you on your arrival and in amending your booking.
I look forward to welcome you in the near future.
I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel special. Excellent lobby staff and concierge service. The room was really roomy and well presented. The bed and bedding was so comfortable! I often find it hard to get the right combination of pillows for my height, but you have lots of pillows to choose from. Two lovely robes and slippers were a nice touch too. I was tempted to buy new ones from their front desk (but I already have nice robes at home)!

The bathroom was beautiful and the shower and bath, wow! Oh and the LED TV in the room was huge (47" I think). There was a great selection of in-house movies as well as Sky Movies. And other channels if you wanted them. Two comfy couches in the lounge area with an ottoman and a roomy desk to spread out with laptop and papers.

The club room upgrade is definitely worth it. I understand the rooms are very similar, but it's the extras you get with the club room. Like free continental breakfast in the club lounge on their top floor, overlooking the city and harbour, or breakfast in their restaurant, Aria, on the ground floor. And free Wi-Fi too.

We went to the hotel's gym and sauna, which was really nice and handy. It's small but well equipped.

Whatever we requested from the concierge was brought to our room really fast. They have an impressive team working for them.

The restaurant food in Aria is world class as is the service. We were blown away by the quality and taste of the food. I understand it was all local produce and definitely fresh!

The proximity of the Crowne Plaza hotel is brilliant. We could easily walk to everything we wanted to see in Auckland city and meander back when finished. There are lots of restaurants and bars and shopping and entertainment venues to indulge in, as well as Auckland's beautiful harbour. You could taxi there if you wanted, but then you'd miss out on all the interesting sights in Auckland city.

We looked at other hotels in the area and whilst some were closer to the harbour, I am really glad we chose Crowne Plaza. If we didn't we'd have to walk so much further to the entertainment we wanted to see at the Civic Theatre and the Aotea Centre, not to mention Sky Tower. These were all just minutes walk from Crowne.

We went to Crowne Plaza for business and leisure -- spent two nights and three days there -- and left fully satiated and happy. We will definitely be back to the Crowne Plaza Hotel Auckland. We give our highest recommendation for them and we love their caring and helpful staff too.

Will and Grace

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Club Room. For a few extra dollars you get so much more than their Superior Rooms. But...