“Great hotel, great location and even better staff.”

Crowne Plaza Auckland
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Let's start with the staff. If there is anyone nicer and more accommodating than Jean at reception, I'm yet to meet them. Staggering in at 1am from a late flight she couldn't have done more for us. And then there is the breakfast team - from chefs to floor staff, excellent. Housekeeping staff, those understated and underrated fairies that clean up after us were great and very flexible when making up rooms.

Hotel location is excellent - close to SkyCity city, Explorer buses and Queen St. The Crowne was our introduction to New Zealand and Auckland and it didn't disappoint.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Shane P,

A HUGE THANK YOU for your 5 star review! Great to see you started your review with our Team -THANK YOU!!
I cannot agree with you more, likewise I am still to find anyone nicer than Jean :) She is a superstar! Thank you for your kind words regarding our breakfast team, our chefs and most importantly our Housekeeping fairies who work really hard to ensure your comfort and privacy is of utmost importance.
I am glad that our hotel was your introduction to New Zealand and I'm pleased we lived upto your expectation!!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Our fairies create magic!!
E-mail: johnson.joseph@ihg.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,822)

Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel is in a great location. Close to shops and a short walk to the waterfront. The room was spacious clean and tidy and the staff were friendly and welcoming. The only downside was the price of the parking but otherwise this hotel is good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kerri F,

Thank you for your great FOUR STAR REVIEW!!!! Congratulations you are our 650th reviewer!!
I am pleased to read you had a great stay and you enjoyed the location of our hotel and our clean, tidy rooms. Thank you for your kind words regarding our team, I will certainly share it with our team who I am sure will be delighted.
Your comments regarding car park, Unfortunately its a public car park managed by external company however hotel guests get a discounted rate. Please contact me directly so that I can make sure whether your car parking charges were discounted. Thank you for mentioning that our hotel is good value for money.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Luxury you can afford!

Reviewed 11 January 2014

The facilities at Crowne Plaza Auckland are about what one should expect of a city hotel in the upper-middle price range, perhaps a bit better. Our room was spacious, clean and well-appointed. What stood out about the hotel was the service. The staff was incredibly friendly and extremely anxious to be helpful. This level of service extended to the restaurant, where we rushed in one night right at closing time and were treated by the staff like they had all the time in the world. (Incidentally, the reason for our late very arrival at the hotel restaurant was that we had walked to two other restaurants only to find them already closed. Beware: Don't go looking for dinner much after 8:30 in Auckland.) The other great asset of the Crowne Plaza is its location. It is near the waterfront, the restaurants, the prime shopping areas and all ground transportation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Ronald G,

Thank you for your great FOUR STAR REVIEW!!!! I am pleased to read you had a fantastic stay with us. Sorry to hear regarding your dine out experience however I am glad that we turned it around for you as a memorable experience.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of our team. I truly believe this is what sets us apart from the rest. Guest service is our number 1 priority so it is always a delight to read that we have got it right.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Walk in as a guest – walk out as our fan!

Reviewed 11 January 2014

For a 2 day stay at the end of our Celebrity Cruise, the Crowne Plaza was a great choice. With its close proximity to the centre of town it made for a great location to walk around the various shops, bars and restaurants. It also made for a great base to visit the various sites, use the Tourist Bus to take you around then choose any to visit again. You also get loads of discounts off entry to other attractions. We went up the Sky Tower and as it was midweek it was the best time with no crowds and excellent for views around the area.

Room Tip: Being a IHG hotel the rooms were of a high standard. The higher floors give better views across the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Fhil520,

A HUGE THANK YOU for a 5 star review! I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the Hotel to be a good base for exploring the City. What a way to escape the cold weather in Bristol,UK!
Thank you for your kind words, I'm sure my team will be delighted to read that we lived up to your expectation.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Well worth the long trip!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is a really nice hotel to stay at when you are in auckland. There are some great views from the rooms at the top over auckland harbour and the city. It's only a very short walk down to the harbour precinct area, and only 2 mins walk to the main shopping strip.
Rooms are always clean, tidy, the food whether it's from room service or in the restaurant is really very good. There is a great menu selection if you are looking to eat healthily while you are away.
I have no hesitation to recommend this hotel to those visiting auckland.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear PJayGosfordNSW,

A HUGE THANK YOU for your wonderful FIVE STAR REVIEW!!!!! I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the Hotel to be a good base for exploring the City. Thank you for your kind words regarding regarding our clean and tidy rooms. We had recently launched our new restaurant and room service menu and its great to hear positive comments like yours which is a real motivator.
I love your comment " I have no hesitation to recommend this hotel to those visiting auckland" this is exactly what we are working towards and I am glad we are on the right track.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - A very cosy corner between NZ and your heart!

Reviewed 3 January 2014

For the price, the rooms here are comfortable, but average. The higher the room, the better the view, so 16 or above is preferable. Breakfast is included, and the breakfast buffet is extensive if not terribly inspired. However, the a la carte menu at lunch and dinner provided very good food (being there over the New Year's public holidays, we did not have many restaurant choices nearby, although usually there would be a number of good places open). What distinguishes this hotel, however, is the exceptional staff. My husband and I were there with two disabled family members - one elderly, and both in wheelchairs. Each member of the staff with whom we interacted - concierge, reception, restaurant, housekeeping - was extremely helpful and solicitous, and two staff members assisted our elderly female relative with dressing and make-up and with going shopping the day before our arrival.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Erica M,

Thank you for your great FOUR STAR REVIEW!!!! I was pleased to read you had a great stay with us. We have a Best Price Guarantee on www.ihg.com , were you are guaranteed best available prices, or your first night is free.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our exceptional team. Yes, you are right! This is what distinguishes us from the rest. I am a true believer of the saying " Staff over Stuff!! " meaning- its not the building and the gadgets which makes the difference but its the team that creates great memories and experiences , Its a delight to read that we have got it right!!

Kind regards,

Johnson Joseph & The Memory Makers!
Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - We understand the real YOU!!

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Be warned, if you stay here for more than a few nights, when your account runs over 2000NZD, they want to charge your credit card immediately.
We are/were booked for 16 nights, on night 7, a letter appears under the door demanding payment for account to date. As a guest (let alone an IHG elite member), I find this abhorrent. They already preauthorise a credit card on arrival, then they want to charge more. They are happy to accept a long term booking, then want to treat it as a "pay as you go"

Apparently they have a long term parking arrangement with the car park next door. Arranging a card for this takes 2 days, in the meantime you get to pay between 25 and 35 per day.

The restaurant is great, good food and friendly service.

Never again for us, in fact the whole IHG experience has been spoilt as a result of this hotels attitude.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear DxbPete,

What a disappointment for me,for us. I do sincerely apologise for all the inconvenience this may have caused. I am aware that our Guest Experience Manager have spoken to you and resolved your concern to your satisfaction.
Thank you for your comments regarding our restaurant and our friendly service. Guest service is our no:1 priority and we will do everything to make it right for you.

Enjoy the rest of your stay with us and I do hope you continue to stay with us in future as we value your loyalty.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Putting our guest at the heart of everything we do!!