“Flawless”

Crowne Plaza Auckland
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 February 2014

After the two leg journey from the UK, this was a great place to recover with the quality and comfort you expect from the Crowne Plaza chain. In hindsight we shouldn't have got off at the last stop on the airport shuttle route or taken a taxi because it was then a bit of a trek up the hill. The cityscape views from the room were no more than interesting, but the room, staff and breakfast were everything we could have wanted. One of the Reception staff went out of her way to solve a problem with our 'loyalty' membership card, and pushed a typed note with the solution under our door within about 30 minutes.

2  Thank crw197
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Dear crw197,

A MASSIVE THANK YOU for your 5 star review! I'm really pleased to read you had a relaxing stay with us. Sorry to hear about the transfer from airport to our hotel however, I'm delighted our team made you feel welcomed. Thank you for your kind words regarding our rooms, breakfast and most importantly our team! We always put our guest at the centre of everything we do! I'm glad we lived upto your expectation.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Keep Calm and Enjoy!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

In my first trip to NZ, and whole planning the trip and booking hotels, 2 things became very clear from the reviews, comments and prices. Most of the hotels, of all categories, in all parts of NZ, are way outdated and long overdue for refurbishment and renovation. The hospitality industry just does not seem to believe in updating their properties. This is combined with the fact that there are hardly any new properties any where in NZ. Second, the prices in NZ are way over the top for similar category accommodation in Europe and the USA.

Crowne Plaza falls smack in the middle of the above description. While the location is excellent and convenient, this property should have been renovated at least 10 years ago. Everything from the lobby on to the floors, the rooms, bathrooms are all outdated and smelly. However, the views from the higher floors are good, looking over the harbor or the city depending on your room, and it is made better with full size floor to ceiling windows.

As is becoming common these days with most hotels in this category, breakfast is priced ridiculously at 33 NZD! They must be joking! Specially if one does not eat all the dead animals arrayed all over the buffet. Just step out to any of the adjoining streets, and there are numerous cafes and coffee houses galore for breakfast at less than half the price. Besides the tour groups and the expense account business people, I wonder if any one else ever pay for this kind of breakfast.

The other trend that the hospitality industry ( at least the international chains) is fast latching on to has to do with the internet policy. After many years of resisting free internet, they have now decided to be cute, and once again assume that the hotel guests are stupid. They now offer free internet, but only at the slower speed (almost snail's pace), what they call standard package. If you want any kind of half decent speed, you still have to pay for it. This allows them to brag all over that they are finally offering free internet, when for practical purposes they are not. They will not get away with this cuteness for too long either.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ZenHealer7
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear ZenHealer,

What a disappointment for me, for us! I'm sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectation.

With regards to your comments specifically for regarding Crowne Plaza Auckland, I would like to stress that we are constantly improving our product and services. Our guests and comments from social media have been very positive and it is re-assuring to know that moving in the right direction. We understand it’s a long journey and we are working passionately to be the best in what we do.

I have taken your comments regarding breakfast and speed of internet on board. Please accept my sincere apologies that the breakfast options were not made clear during check in as we provide 3 different breakfast options to meet all our guests’ dietary requirements.
Having lived/ worked/ traveled the last 14 years in Europe and Asia, my move to New Zealand this year has been a refreshing change and I can confidently say that the hospitality and standards are at par with Europe or Asia.

I would like to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Auckland again, and I can assure you a fantastic stay with us in future. We'd love to show you we do make a difference, the positive way! Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if you have any further comments or requirements.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - We value your feedback!

Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed on the Club level (L28). It was a great location for our business trip and the room, facilities and Club were the perfect place to unwind after a long day in the field. Room was very spacious and had plenty of power outlets!! (something often overlooked - but definitely a necessity for charging all my gadgets!). Staff are incredibly helpful and friendly!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bell_emma

Dear Emma B,

THANK YOU for your great four star review! I'm pleased to read you had a great stay in one of our club rooms with stunning views. Thank you for mentioning all the small touches we do to enhance our guest experience. I will make sure the team see your review I'm positive they will be thrilled to see they all are superstars! Feel free to contact to let me know what we could do to move you to a 5 Star review

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - For people travelling for success!

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel 3 times in January as my family and I were traveling around in NZ. After the first stay, we could have gone elsewhere, try another hotel in Auckland, but it would be hard to beat the Crowne. Staff was flawless, rooms are very comfortable (small things make a big difference!) and there is laundry, sauna and gym (very good one!). The hotel has a superb location, near Sky Tower and other tourist attractions, close to Britomart and many restaurants. Also, it is located inside a mall and there are many shops and services available nearby. Why should we go elsewhere? Moreover, as an IHG member, I had complimentary (and fast) internet and late checkout.

1  Thank Lisiane B
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear anelisi,

A MASSIVE THANK YOU for your 5 star review!! I'm delighted to read you had a perfect stay with us. Thank you for your kind words regarding our team, comfortable rooms and location. Yes, small things does matter, For us all the small touches we provide are extremely important. That is why we always say - We put our guests at the heart of everything we do!! I'm glad we are on the right track. I will for sure share your comments with the team - Its a real motivator!

I look forward to welcome you back soon in the near future.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - IHG Rewards Club: Extended checkout time and Free internet @ every stay!

Reviewed 1 February 2014

My 14yo (son) 11yo (daughter) and myself stayed at the Crowne Plaza Akld after a lengthy and hot bus trip. I booked by phone and the service was perfect there, and it didn't stop when we arrived at the hotel. The staff are so friendly and helpful.
The location is perfect in central Akld, walking distance to everywhere - we even walked from the bus station. Our room was so quiet, with amazingly comfortable beds and we even had a nice view over towards the western side of the city. We were on the 19th floor and our room had two queen beds.
Also, we paid a very reasonable price for the three of us, which is great for ordinary Kiwi travellers on their way through Akld.
Thank you, we'll be back.

Room Tip: The queen beds are large and comfy, the 19th floor was quiet with the city view.
1  Thank mynameisdeb
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear mynameisdeb,

A MASSIVE THANK YOU for your 5 star review!! I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and found the Hotel to be a good base for exploring the City. Thank you for your comments regarding our friendly and helpful team. We always put our guests at the heart of everything we do, I'm pleased you noticed all the small touches we do for our guests.
I can confidently say that our rooms are of good size and many of our rooms have some stunning views especially for a person like myself who has moved from London-Space is luxury!! even better if you get all this at a reasonable price.
I will make sure all the team see your kind words - it is a real motivator.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Our hospitality is addictive!!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

The Auckland Crowne Plaza hotel was our first stop on a three week, north to south tour of New Zealand. I am a long time IHG Rewards Club member and it seemed to me the Crowne Plaza had a convenient central Auckland location. It does.

We stayed on the hotel’s club floor and from the moment of our arrival, we were pleasantly surprised with the friendliness and positive attitude displayed by every member of the hotel staff. The hotel itself is clean, bright and modern. Our top-floor room was large and comfortable.

The club lounge offers an evening cocktail hour, continental breakfast and a smashing view of the harbor. The three nights we stayed at the Auckland Crowne Plaza were restful and enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank doresco
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear doresco,

Thank you for your great 4 star review! I'm pleased you had a great stay with us and you enjoyed our clean, bright rooms and our club lounge facilities which is getting popular with our guests especially our evening cocktails.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our teams friendliness and positive attitude. I'm sure they will be delighted to read your review.
Guest service is our number one priority so it is always a delight to read that we have got it right. Please feel free to contact to let me know what we could do to move you to a 5 Star review on your next visit.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Putting our guests at the heart of everything we do!!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We spent a weekend here in a club room. Parking is next door and easy to navigate, and reception staff were quick, friendly and efficient. Room on floor 27 excellent. Our only fault is with the club lounge which was too small to cater for its guests. On both evenings we were asked if we wanted to go down to the bar in order to find a seat. On the first night we declined and stood in the club lounge for a while until the attendant there, who was very good (Jonathan), managed to find some space for us. On the second night that was impossible. So we went to the bar. That was quite a good move as it turned out, because although you lose the fab view from the lounge, you can choose from the whole bar food menu. Unlike a number of club lounges you won't fill up on the food in this lounge. It's mostly canapé type stuff and one evening consisted of fish, and fish, and fish. We would stay again, but the club lounge needs sorting out in terms of space and food variety

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Teddall
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Teddall,

Thank you for your great 4 star review! I'm pleased to read you had a great stay with us. I'm delighted to see you booked Our Club rooms and found it to be to your taste, Lately our Club rooms are becoming a preferred choice for our guests and some of the rooms have breathe taking views of harbour and of Sky Tower. I have taken your comments on board and I can assure you that we are working on ways of how we can manage our Club Lounge efficiently, Yes I do remember, one evening you would have been spoilt with choice of seafood as we had our canape menu in line with the Auckland Seafood Festival at the Club Lounge for our guests who were staying over that weekend.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our teams friendly and efficient service especially Jonathan who will be thrilled to see his name mentioned on here.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Discover us!