“Excellent hotel and staff in a great location”

Crowne Plaza Auckland
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband I stayed here for 4 nights, 20-24 March, to celebrate a milestone birthday. I had booked the room through a travel agent. Unknown to me, my husband contacted the hotel direct to make arrangements to surprise me. He spoke with Johnson Joseph, the operations manager, who was just wonderful. My husband found out via the hotel that the travel agent had booked us the wrong room type, so Johnson was quick to make amends. On arrival, we were treated to new client drinks in the lobby bar (which are held on certain days of the week). Then once we went to our room we were blown away. Johnson had arranged for a Level 26 room with city and harbour views, which was decorated in birthday banners, balloons, a complimentary bottle of wine, a birthday cake and candle, and a card signed by the staff. I was absolutely gobsmacked. It certainly made my birthday all the more special. The location of the property is great - a short walk to the casino, Queen Street and the harbour front/Viaduct. The room was impeccably clean, and kept so throughout our stay. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The reception, bar and concierge staff were wonderful - nothing was too much trouble. We did not eat in the restaurant so cannot make comment there. Good selection of wines at the bar. Overall, we had the most wonderful stay. A BIG thank you to Johnson Joseph and his staff. I can wholeheartedly recommend this property to anyone looking for quality, well located accommodation in Auckland.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Nvios,

A MASSIVE THANK YOU for your 5 star review. I'm delighted to read you had a great stay with us and you chose to share your milestone event in your life with us, This means a lot to us!
Thank you for your extremely kind words and I'm thrilled to read you had a memorable birthday! The team and I wish you loads of happiness and success. Please do not wait for another milestone to visit us.

Come back soon! We are waiting!!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Licenced to Thrill!
E-mail: johnson.joseph@ihg.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,874)

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We spent two non consecutive nights at this centrally placed hotel convenient for the tourist resorts and harbour. On both occasions we were impressed with the friendy and helpful staff. The rooms were clean and the beds very comfortable. We do not usually rate hotel restaurants but since we had been to this hotel and restaurant in 2008 and were very happy with the restaurant we decided to try it again. On both occasions this time the meal was excellent and the service good. One of the best meals we have had during our 2 week stay in New Zealand. Unfortunately, I was not impressed with the wifi. It was very intermittent with the signal strength even in the lobby being poor. Understandably when the hotel is full you might expect the shared broadband to be hard pushed. It seems obvious that the router capacity should be set as strongest for a full house so that people will not be disappointed whatever the number of guests staying. This can only get worse with more and more guests having mobile devices. It is a great shame that the high quality of everything else in this hotel is spoiled by poor wifi.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CriticP
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear CriticP,

A HUGE THANK YOU for your 4 star review! I'm pleased to read you had a great stay with us and found our location perfect for your purpose of travel. I'm delighted to read you loved our comfortable rooms and most importantly our ARIA restaurant both Food and Service. Thank you for your kind words regarding team friendliness! Its a real motivator!!
I have taken your comments regarding our internet on board, Rest assured I will personally look into this to resolve the internet issue immediately. I am positive the next time you stay with you will give us a 5 star review.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - ARIA Restaurant & Bar - Great Food! Great Service!!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights as part of a tour group, this hotel being ideally located 3m walk from the Auckland Tower. We had a double room (2018) with twin beds and all the usual facilities such as safe, fridge, tea/coffee making, iron etc. together with 2 chairs and a table as well as a chair at the writing desk. The room was furnished almost the same as other Crowne Plazas we have stayed at. There were only views of other skyscrapers from the window. The bathroom was well equipped with good toiletries, soap and bath with shower. The room was clean and well maintained. Also this is one of the few hotels you can get 2 suitcases on the suitcase stand together.
The front desk was very helpful and linked me to free unlimited Wi-fi as a member of IHG Group, otherwise there is 30m free wifi included with the room.
WE did not eat in the hotel as there is an excellent bakery cafe in the shopping area below the hotel, and a huge choice of restaurant within easy walking distance.
Overall we had a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Tynes1der,

A MASSIVE THANK YOU for your 4 star review. I'm pleased to read you had a comfortable stay with us and found our location perfect to suit your purpose of travel. I'm delighted to read you loved everything about our room - our amenities, cleanliness and also our luggage rack which can easily hold two suitcases in a twin room that very few hotels have these days. We do put our guests at the Heart of everything we do!!
Thank you for your kind words regarding our team - They are our biggest asset!!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Putting our guests at the heart of everything we do!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is a very large hotel with a bit of an anonymous feel,well situated in central Auckland. The welcome was an excellent one from very helpful reception staff and the room spacious, very clean, well equipped and very quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are presumably better in terms of traffic noise
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Jasperco,

A HUGE THANK YOU for your 4 star review!! I'm pleased to read you had a great stay with us in our spacious,very clean, well equipped room. Thank you for your kind words regarding our team- Its a real motivator! Guest service is our number one priority and I'm glad we have got it right.

I look forward to welcome you in the near future and I'm positive you will score us a 5 star!!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Every day is a special one!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The Crowne Plaza on Albert Street is a very good choice if you want to stay in the center of Auckland. It is easy to get in and out from the motorway, and the location puts you within easy walking distance of Queen Street and other shopping locations. We were in a comfortable Club room, so we enjoyed the breakfast service and the views from the breakfast room. The breakfast selection is not vast, but it's fine and the staff are friendly--as were the staff at the front desk. Make sure you are clear about parking charges when you check in so there are no misunderstandings later. I'd be happy to recommend the Crowne Plaza, and to stay there again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
NZIHG, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear MoseyOn,

A HUGE THANK YOU for your 4 star review! I'm pleased to read you had a great stay with us and found the Hotel to be a good base for exploring the City. I'm thrilled to read you enjoyed our Club room and Club Lounge. Yes, we provide good quality Continental breakfast in our club lounge, However we have an extensive Breakfast buffet in our Aria restaurant which is acknowledged as the best breakfast in town by our regular guests. Thank you for your kind words regarding our team - Its a real motivator!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Keep calm and grill bacon!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had 2 nights in Crowne Plaza as the first stop in our tour of North and South Island. It was the perfect setting off point. We were able to rest after our flight and even managed a meal with friends at the top of the Sky Tower. Awesome. The service in the hotel was good and we would certainly return again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SussieQ,

A MASSIVE THANK YOU for your 4 Star review!! I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the Hotel to be a good base for exploring New Zealand.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our service and team. I will share your review with our team- Its a real Motivator!!

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Well worth the long trip!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Excellent location if you are after something central in Auckland. My only comment is that you can start to see the age of this hotel in some places. I haven't eaten in the hotel due to number of great places to eat within a 5 min walk.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear HallBA,

A HUGE THANK YOU for your 4 star review! I'm pleased to read you had a good stay with us and found our hotel perfect for your purpose of travel. I strongly recommend to try our Aria restaurant at Crowne Plaza Auckland on your next visit. You can see what other reviewers have to say about our food & service on Tripadvisor. Feel free to contact to let me know what we could do to move you to a 5 Star review.

Operations Manager
Crowne Plaza Auckland - Location! Location!! Location!!!