For reference just over NZ$ 70 dollars for the taxi from the airport ( sadly, the taxi driver tried the old routine of not having any change for NZ$100.).
Then the swipe cards Checkin gave us would not work the lift, tried both cards, tried several lifts, so we trailed back to reception, got new cards.... same problem. Got a ride up to floor 25 in a shared lift and looked for stairs. Nope. Exit-only stairwells. Drag the luggage back down to reception. Amazing how quickly you become irritable after 30 hours travel. Manager took one look at our faces, got a third set of keycards, from the inner office this time, and escorted us to our room.
Room had an excellent bed, lots of pillows of varying sizes. In fact, it was one of the best beds I have ever slept in. The room was clean and modern with a decent sized flat screen TV. Unfortunately I had got the idea that by floor 26 I would get a view. Nope. See picture appended. Also the Internet was only available in the room at some ridiculous price.
Fortunately I had paid the extra for a club class room ( to get high enough for a view, so I thought ) and the little club room became our new home. It was never busy and had a great view. ( see picture ). It had a free Internet terminal and three times a day it had free food.
So being prudent scots we eat there for two days. There was a great breakfast, then you could come back at lunchtime for tea and cake. Then in the evenings there was drinks and tasty snacks. After smoked salmon, oysters, tiny pies and three glasses of a decent sparkling wine, we quite lost interest in looking for a restaurant.
The room was NZ$287 per night. ( Paid in advance rate) The location was a ten minute walk to the Harbour, but only one block off the main shopping street. We thought we were close to the downtown Avis, but it turned out to be four blocks with luggage in the rain, so next time, I would fetch the car to the hotel. The hotel lobby was busy with cruise guests waiting for their ship, so we never tried the bar.
We spent a wet morning very happily at the Domain, a short taxi ride or 20 minute walk from the hotel. The main museum is there with I think the best Mauri artifacts and a little show.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located in the heart of Auckland s business district, above the Atrium on Elliott shopping complex and just a few minutes walk from The Edge Entertainment Centre, Sky City and Queen Street s golden mile, Crowne Plaza Auckland is the ideal base when visiting the city of sails. With 13 floors of accommodation including the Crowne Plaza Club, a choice of 10 meeting rooms offering 14 configurations plus several dining and relaxation options, we can provide for all your business hotel requirements. Crowne Plaza Auckland is truly The Place To Meet . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, IHG, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Crowne Plaza Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Auckland Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Auckland New Zealand