“Saved by the Club.” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Penicuik, United Kingdom
“Saved by the Club.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2008

For reference just over NZ$ 70 dollars for the taxi from the airport ( sadly, the taxi driver tried the old routine of not having any change for NZ$100.).

Then the swipe cards Checkin gave us would not work the lift, tried both cards, tried several lifts, so we trailed back to reception, got new cards.... same problem. Got a ride up to floor 25 in a shared lift and looked for stairs. Nope. Exit-only stairwells. Drag the luggage back down to reception. Amazing how quickly you become irritable after 30 hours travel. Manager took one look at our faces, got a third set of keycards, from the inner office this time, and escorted us to our room.

Room had an excellent bed, lots of pillows of varying sizes. In fact, it was one of the best beds I have ever slept in. The room was clean and modern with a decent sized flat screen TV. Unfortunately I had got the idea that by floor 26 I would get a view. Nope. See picture appended. Also the Internet was only available in the room at some ridiculous price.

Fortunately I had paid the extra for a club class room ( to get high enough for a view, so I thought ) and the little club room became our new home. It was never busy and had a great view. ( see picture ). It had a free Internet terminal and three times a day it had free food.
So being prudent scots we eat there for two days. There was a great breakfast, then you could come back at lunchtime for tea and cake. Then in the evenings there was drinks and tasty snacks. After smoked salmon, oysters, tiny pies and three glasses of a decent sparkling wine, we quite lost interest in looking for a restaurant.

The room was NZ$287 per night. ( Paid in advance rate) The location was a ten minute walk to the Harbour, but only one block off the main shopping street. We thought we were close to the downtown Avis, but it turned out to be four blocks with luggage in the rain, so next time, I would fetch the car to the hotel. The hotel lobby was busy with cruise guests waiting for their ship, so we never tried the bar.

We spent a wet morning very happily at the Domain, a short taxi ride or 20 minute walk from the hotel. The main museum is there with I think the best Mauri artifacts and a little show.

• Liked — Club Lounge
  • Disliked — Internet prices
  • Stayed November 2008
4 Thank AlMcDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wallsend, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2008

We visited the Crowne Plaza in the centre of Auckland on a Titan tour, and this was for the first few nights in New Zealand. Although the hotel is up a steep hill from the main street leading to the harbour, there is access from a food court (below) by lift. Sky City and the Sky Tower are 5 minutes walk away.

Being travel weary from a 30 hour trip from home in Uk we were pleased at first impresions of the hotel room with 2 huge beds, a large bathroom, and all the bits and pieces to make a traveller comfortable. There is a 'pillow menu' in each room where you can have pillow fillings of your choice for a small deposit. We were quite happy with the thick hollofill pillows provided. Air conditioning functioned well.

Reception was a fairly tranquil space with a lounge area and direct access to the restaurant in which we only had one breakfast. The breakfast standard was quite good and cooked items were included in our $23 NZ (£8.50 at the time of our visit - cooked normally $5 (£2) extra).

The hotel is over 4 floors consisting of shops and a food court accessible by lift or escalator from hotel reception level. In the food court on level 1 is Hollywood Bakery providing good snacks and breakfast at very reasonable prices.

Overall we found the hotel to be a well used place of business standard, although some of our fellow travellers' rooms were said to be a bit shabby.

• Liked — Central location.
  • Disliked — No views
  • Stayed November 2008
4 Thank Tynes1der
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

I stayed here for one night on my honeymoon. The staff was great as they upgraded me to a huge corner room on the club level and they were very responsive. Even though the hotel is still undergoing rennovation the room being one of their best was not fully upgraded to the look and feel of the website. Once in the room it was definitly dated in many places and I actually felt a bit mislead by the pictures on the internet. The location is right in the middle of the city and even though on the map it looks close to the harbor it is not an easy walk as going from the harbor to the hotel is all uphill. If you want to be in the city it is great, if you plan on spending time on the harbor I would NOT recommend this hotel. Unfortunatly I had an unexpected problem with the room that lead me to leave the hotel for the remainder of my stay in Auckland. Because it was my honeymoon I didn't want any other possible issues but the staff handled the problem extrememly well (especially Sean the assistant manager) and offered to upgrade us to the executive suite but we chose to move hotels due to the event, if it was not my honeymoon we would have stayed. Overall it was a decent hotel that I could see being fine for businss but not a place I would stay for a romantic weekend.

• Liked — Great Staff
  • Disliked — Room was outdated
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank A4EP
Poole
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2008

Stayed at Crowne Plaza for 1 night on 2nd October and although a nightmare to drive into the centre of Auckland at rush hour the welcome was excellent and the room first class. Parking is provided and is very close.We had a large room with 2 double beds which was very clean, tidy, modern and good quality and with a fantastic view of the Auckland SkyTower and the Bungee jumpers! ( Upper floors only!)
The hotel is ideally situated for the Harbour/Quayside area and for shopping.
Breakfast was very good with a large range of breakfast items on offer. Service from all members of staff was polite and friendly at all times.
Would definitely stay again

• Stayed October 2008
3 Thank FamilyOPoole
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2008

Stayed here for a few nights to see a league game and have a little "city fix".

The Crowne Plaza is in a great location, the front desk checkin went smoothly and staff were attentive and helpful at all times.
The lobby area, adjacent to the bar/restaurant area is tasteful and fresh. The hotel has a real buzz about it. The atmosphere was great. Despite the hotel being busy with Australian League teams., we never had to wait to be served as staff levels were high and everyone well looked after.

The room was great. It had all we needed. Bed comfy, little couch added a modern twist to the room, and despite bathroom being a bit small everything worked well.

A few recommendations if you do stay here are:

Try the reflexology/massage clinic called Bliss just across from Hotel( literally 30 metres away). It was clean, styley and well priced..plus it's a great relaxing treat!

The Hotel buffet breakfast is the best we've had to date..better than any other Hotel or resort in nz and abroad. It's fresh, there's a huge selection to choose from and supplies are constantly topped up.

Tip for league fans:...this Hotel seems to host visiting league teams so during the NRL season you may spot some of your hero's here!..we did and it was a real bonus to get up close and even chat to some of the guys.

Excellent Hotel. Excellent Service..we will be back!

• Liked — Overall experience and meeting some famous NRL players
  • Disliked — Overpriced internet
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank TEAM-GEE
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2008

Let me start by saying I always stay at Marriott properties -there weren't any in all of New Zealand, so my fall back is the Crowne/Intercontinental Brand.

The Hotel was nicely decorated, it has a coffee shop and a convience store as well as a restuarant and bar. Upon arrival I felt like a burden to the staff, pretty much it seemed as though they were unhappy to see me -I almost felt it was an American thing -but fine, who is really at a hotel to make friends with the staff anyways?
I was on the 21rst floor, the room was spacious, the sofa was a little weird looking, but the bed was comforatable, the bathroom was large enough and clean, and they have 30"? flat screen tvs. I espeically liked the switches by the headboard to turn the lights on and off (several bulbs were burnt out).
At night when I came home around 1am, I was often woken up by the slam of my neighbors room doors. So while I was exhausted and often fell asleep within minutes I was repeatedly woken up by slamming doors and it was worse if I tried to sleep in, in the morning.
The Concierge was really uneducated about what there was to do around town, meaning if I asked about a local town or neighborhood for a resturant or bar he would suggest the hotel's facility or the food court in the mall connected to the hotel.
Overall it was cheap and an average experience

• Liked — The location and price
  • Disliked — Slow Internet Service, not so savvy Concierge, Indifferent Staff, Loud Hallways
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Windsor999
Helensvale, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2008

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for three nights in October. Room was fine, good size with views over the city. Bathroom a little dated with a leaking shower despite all efforts but OK.
Housekeeping was not up to a good standard. A bottle of opened white wine (quarter was left in the bottle) was still in the fridge. Spoke to reception about it, we were not charged for the wine. However, later on dirty cups and glasses left in the room, bed was made up in a pretty average fashion.

Reception staff and concierge staff were great, friendly and helpful.

Hotel is in the retail area of town, about a 10 minute walk to the water.

Probably would not stay there again.

• Liked — Central position
  • Disliked — Housekeeping and high internet charges
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple