“Huge hotel with all the amenities- and an underground mall!”

Crowne Plaza Auckland
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 January 2010

Rooms were available same-day and the convenience of the neighboring carpark was a plus. Super comfortable beds with options of several different types of pillows, spacious room, good selection of TV channels, friendly and approachable staff, and a great location right in downtown.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,824)

Reviewed 25 January 2010

Stayed one night late January 2010. This is our third visit to this hotel. We like it for it's central location, shops and attractions are mostly within walking distance.

The down sides: had to call bell staff to see to the suitcases from the taxi. They are pleasant enough but there are not enough staff on duty.

The shower floors are tiled and can be very slippy when wet.

Internet access, though free in the club floor lounge, is overpriced elsewhere in the hotel. Also it is available in all rooms but even on the club floor there is a hefty charge for its use.

Upside: Would recommend staying at the club levels, floors 27 and 28. As included in the price are a very decent buffet breakfast, coffee and tea all day in the lounge which overlooks the harbour, and decent pre dinner snacks. Ask for a harbour view room as the city views are not inspiring and are liable to late night noise from the street.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2010

Paid for 1 night and had 2 reward nights.

The difference is that for a reward night you are put in the dirty room.

have to walk for ever to get to your car, they do not tell you that. Park on level 7, go to level 4 to enter hotel then go to your room on level 18+

Only benefit I found was that I was able to open the window!!! but this is in the center of downtown.

NO FREE INTERNET ACCESS IN THE BUSINESS CENTER!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2010

Rooms ok, hotel clean(ish). Don't try room service - I did and the phone rang out three times.
No porter at the door, no offer of help with luggage, check in staff were not going out of their way to be helpful. Expensive for this level of comfort.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2010

Very nice hotel. Great location, within walking distance of everything in downtown Auckland. Very comfortable room, with a great view of the harbour and SkyTower. It is worth the extra to get the Club level rooms that have access to the Club Lounge. Club Lounge offers a nice breakfast in the morning, and a place to relax and read the paper and enjoy the view. It is open throughout the day, and in the evening, they have complimentary cocktails. Will definitely return!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank PaulTheTravelGuy
Reviewed 28 November 2009

I treated myself to this hotel on the last two nights of a 9 week trip down under. This is much nicer than the hotels I usually stay at because I am notoriously tightfisted about hotels. I was only able to do the 9 week trip courtesy of 3 home exchanges. The last exchange was in Whangerai, and I came into Auckland for two nights to rest up a bit before flying back to The States. I am going back to NZ in 2010 and would definitely stay here again.

Concierge and desk staff both were welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2009

I stayed at the this hotel from the 18-20th of September. The room was typical Crowne Plaza. Happy with the house keeping. However I had the 2 worst sleep of my life.
The first night I felt that the room was too warm. The thermostat in the room did not seem to work. I had it on 10 degree Celsius and I was sweating (It was spring in Auckland). I rang up the operator around 11pm. The person said that he was sending someone up to fix it. Half an hour later, no one came to the room to fix the problem, so I rang again. The same guy them told me that they could fix the air condition from downstairs! I should wait for another 15 minutes before the room will get cooler. I wish he just told me that from the beginning so I did not have to wait and wait! Around midnight I was half asleep when the reception rang to check whether the AC was working. I confirmed it was working. Half an hour later the concierge rang to check about the same thing! I need my sleep!
The second day, during the day the AC seemed to work OK. I had not problem going to sleep, until I woke up at 2am sweating profusely. I rang the operator again. She said that someone will get in contact. I received a call about 15 minutes later. I explained that the room is too warm and I need to AC readjusted. She claimed that the thermostat was on 10 degree (!). She said she was moving it to 12 degree.

I waited and waited for the AC to start to cool down. An hour later, I couldn't stand it anymore. I checked the air that came out of the vent - it was HOT! I rang the operator again and said someone fixed my AC but now it's hotter than ever. The lady on the line was really apologetic. She said since the upgrade of the air conditioning system, they had so much problems. She checked the system while talking to me. She said someone adjusted the AC in my room to 28 degree!! She said that she has readjusted it back to 20 degree. The AC worked OK for the whole night.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business