“Noisy & dirty but convenient location to my needs”
Review of The Surrey Hotel

The Surrey Hotel
Ranked #49 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I satyed here for 2 nights at w/e in the motel 'studio'.
The place is very tired and sheets were dirty and threadbare, with hair in the bed! As I arrived late, I waited until next morning and housekeeping then changed the sheets, but it was awful and unacceptable to spend the night as I did :-(.
It is also on the main road, so very noisy with no quiet room options available. There also are lights outside every room, and with thin curtains, the room is lit up, so take eye blinders, particulalry if used to no light pollution.
I had barely any sleep and would never return, even if its location was handy for my needs. Next time, I will stay elsewhere and commute!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere, unless you're happy to stay in a tired and dirty motel
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank 007adventure

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Only stayed 1 night. For the location and price my expectations were no high, which was for the best. It was very dated, not well maintained or cleaned. But for a functional, cheap, drive in motel it does the job.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Very spacious which was great with our own private courtyard. Had a homey feel especially with the GM (cat) in charge. Had a meal at the restaurant which was convenient and good value. Will come again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We chose the Surrey for its location, being convenient for Western Springs and Ponsonby. The price when pre-booking was reasonable. Our room on the top floor had a high ceiling and was reasonably quiet for a city hotel. The room did seem a little dark, even when using the reading light over the beds. Parking was free and convenient.

The small pool in the courtyard was a disappointment, but still nice for a quick dip to relax.

A good value in an older property with a convenient location.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are off small ante-rooms in the corner, shielding them from the noise of the court...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The room is very spacious with complete facilities however I find the room so dark with our dark brown printed bed cover that looks so old and stained. I didn't find myself very comfortable snuggling in this blanket. I couldn't sleep well because of the noise from slamming of doors and from the road noise. I decided to watch a TV instead but to my dismay there was no TV reception at all.I called the front desk about my complain but they could only offer me to watch a movie but with another cost.
The bathroom is alright but the towels looks really old and are grayish already. I should have brought my own towels.
Maybe this explains why the hotel has a cheap price. I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends.
Could have been better...but not!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We went for the cricket and the speedway, so the Surrey is a perfect fit location wise. Its close to a load of eating centres, we didn't need to venture to Auckland City Centre, but its not that far away too.

Room was basic - however the road noise was loud and the noise from the floorboards above us when people simply walked across the floor was annoying to say the least - unless of course there was an elephant staying up there that we didn't see, then it was explainable (we were in 710) . There was a large carpet burn on the inside of the door too which was disturbing in the fact that it had not be repaired or treated.
TV reception was poor - only terrestrial channels - not acceptable in today's standards. Internet was expensive and kept cutting out on wireless connection - 1 minute on, 5 minutes off - aaaarrrgh!!! They did offer free wireless for 15 minutes a day which is nice, but if you are staying for a week - $ 112 is a lot!!!!
We stayed "across the road" - 10 car parks for 25 rooms doesn't add up does it??? We parked in the street on a number of occasions.
Staff were friendly and helped when we asked for something. Rooms were cleaned daily.
For the budget traveller, this place is ideal. Possibly not for families - as the pool is for 5 people max and there is no Pay TV. Didn't try the Surrey Pub for food as it seemed a bit on the expensive side, and there are literally hundreds of options within 5 minutes drive.
The simple addition of Cable TV and internet would make this a genuine 4/5 star option.

Like I said - it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Room Tip: Across the road, our room was on the ground floor nearest the Great North Road. The road noise was l...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Let me start out by saying we did enjoy our stay. Our stay was primarily for the location and proximity to Western Springs for the Speedway GP. We were recommended here by a friend whom stayed here the year before. I made our reservation early in advance in November 2012 2 Bedroom apartment for 5 adults. I corresponded with the hotel directly & booked @ full rate. On our arrival we were advised that the 2bd apartment did not accomodate 5 yet I had emails from the hotel recommending the 2bd apartment. Also the website says sleeps 6. Our alternate was 2 rooms 1x 2 double beds & 1 Double & 1 single and shared common area that had an outdated sink and 2 lounge chairs (we had kids from another room running and playing in this room slamming the door where we had to kindly ask them not to play inside). The rooms were nice and new however for a couple to share sleeping arrangements in a room with a 3rd was awkward. Lifts were out of order and we were on the top floor carted our suitcases through the narrow stairwells. In hindsight I should have just booked directly online for these rooms. We weren't offered a reduction in our rate as we didn't have the kitchen facilities we thought we were going to have and had to eat out. The restaurant was pricey however, bar staff very friendly. I don't think we will be staying here next year we also stayed in Oaks in the city 2 bedroom apartment with kitchen, washing machine, dryer, harbour views & a $2 bus ride to speedway for less then what we paid for per night at The Surrey. We enjoyed our stay I think because of the atmosphere of the speedway crowd also staying at the hotel. Pro's+ close to Western Springs & refurbished rooms. Con's- disappointed that we paid for a room with didn't get, Hotel should have advised us change in room arrangements prior to us arriving.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends