“Clean but noisy”

The Surrey Hotel
Ranked #43 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
“Clean but noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights here as the serviced apartments we were staying in we're full.
We chose the more expensive newly renovated rooms on the first floor. It was a one bedroom apartment that looked way better than the older styled studios down stairs. The kitchenette has no hob or oven just a microwave so you have to rely on takeouts. This is not an issue as some good restaurants are nearby. Wifi is charged at 16 a day which is terribly expensive and now most places offer it for free. We had 2 flat screens in the apartment which was awesome meant I could watch tv once my daughter was asleep but there is no sky. Despite the tv being on I could hear the people in the room next door making loud noises that I would rather forget I ever heard. I could hear people next door come in and go out of their apartment. Really not suitable if you have a kid with you. I could hear it all over the noise of the tv. When they updated the hotel room why did they not consider sound proofing?
Besides the noise everything was fine.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Kerikeri, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights while we were on holiday. We enjoyed the hotels pool. The room was good, although it did have a leak in the bathroom and a small ant problem. The breakfast in the morning was good, plenty of selection, even for the little one. Home-made pizza was yummy. Staff were very accommodating, letting us take wine glasses and plates to the room. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Raglan, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

I satyed here for 2 nights at w/e in the motel 'studio'.
The place is very tired and sheets were dirty and threadbare, with hair in the bed! As I arrived late, I waited until next morning and housekeeping then changed the sheets, but it was awful and unacceptable to spend the night as I did :-(.
It is also on the main road, so very noisy with no quiet room options available. There also are lights outside every room, and with thin curtains, the room is lit up, so take eye blinders, particulalry if used to no light pollution.
I had barely any sleep and would never return, even if its location was handy for my needs. Next time, I will stay elsewhere and commute!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere, unless you're happy to stay in a tired and dirty motel
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank 007adventure

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

Only stayed 1 night. For the location and price my expectations were no high, which was for the best. It was very dated, not well maintained or cleaned. But for a functional, cheap, drive in motel it does the job.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

Very spacious which was great with our own private courtyard. Had a homey feel especially with the GM (cat) in charge. Had a meal at the restaurant which was convenient and good value. Will come again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

We chose the Surrey for its location, being convenient for Western Springs and Ponsonby. The price when pre-booking was reasonable. Our room on the top floor had a high ceiling and was reasonably quiet for a city hotel. The room did seem a little dark, even when using the reading light over the beds. Parking was free and convenient.

The small pool in the courtyard was a disappointment, but still nice for a quick dip to relax.

A good value in an older property with a convenient location.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are off small ante-rooms in the corner, shielding them from the noise of the court...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

The room is very spacious with complete facilities however I find the room so dark with our dark brown printed bed cover that looks so old and stained. I didn't find myself very comfortable snuggling in this blanket. I couldn't sleep well because of the noise from slamming of doors and from the road noise. I decided to watch a TV instead but to my dismay there was no TV reception at all.I called the front desk about my complain but they could only offer me to watch a movie but with another cost.
The bathroom is alright but the towels looks really old and are grayish already. I should have brought my own towels.
Maybe this explains why the hotel has a cheap price. I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends.
Could have been better...but not!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family