“A good base”

Ranked #49 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Hong Kong, China
“A good base”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Auckland is cursed by a range of ultra-expensive hotels alongside rubbish hellholes full of bogans. Well, that's my experience. The Surrey was a nice, normal, motel close enough to the city centre to get there in under 20 minutes by bus or taxi, but far enough away to avoid the idiots that plague the city centre on drinking nights.

Staff were very helpful and organised; rooms were clean and functional. Plenty of parking. On a main road, but traffic noise not disturbing (and I am a light sleeper) as there are no junctions nearby, so no gear changes/brake noises. Small kitchen ideal for making basic meals in the microwave, etc, but take aways also within walking distance. We will use again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
kiwitvlr55, General Manager at The Surrey Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Great that you enjoyed your stay at The Surrey. We find many of our guests like being just out of the CBD so they can take advantage of the additonal benefits like free parking. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Coromandel, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I recently was on a girls only weekend and had stayed at this wonderful hotel, We all were greeted by the wonderful receptionist and the cat they called GM, Who was a wonderful touch, for one of my friends loved cats. First glance around the hotel i had never seen any other layout on the decorations of the place. A little different but well set. We had booked 3 standard rooms that where nice and cosy, and better nexted to the pool & spa. We all got up early before our big day outing around the city and had breakfast in the resturant. The FOOD was delish!!Buffet breakfast was set and everything nice and hot. I had to thank the chief for my lovely start to the day.After our outing we all just wanted to relax, but came back to our rooms like we just first arrived. Everything was neat and clean. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dani k
kiwitvlr55, Manager at The Surrey Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thanks for your review, delighted your stay was so good and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back again.
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I recently was on vacation in New Zealand and booked a four star hotel with Hotwire.com. They put me in an absolute dump called the Surrey Hotel. Here is everything that was below one star about this place:

- Bathroom very small and not much room to move around
- Pool was an absolute joke - you should not even claim to have a pool
- TV had four channels
- Was looking for a dead person in the room because that's what it smelled like
- Brown mark on bottom of toilet
- Extremely outdated
- Hair and dust found on dishes
- No sound proofing so kids screaming in the morning outside woke me up very early WHILE ON VACATION
- Very thuggish looking people hanging out on the balcony with their kids screaming up and down the walk way
- Parking often ran out so had to park on the street

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Ian W
kiwitvlr55, General Manager at The Surrey Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
I AGREE!! We do not wish to be a part of Hotwire and have asked to be removed. We never agreed to be a part of a secret hotel site with Expedia! If you had spoken to me during your stay and told me of your experieince I would have gladly refunded your money and found another hotel for you.

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed at the hotel one night before travelling from Auckland back to the UK - was staying here with my friends from New Zealand and we booked a 2 bed apartment, but it turned out to be a 2 bedroom large room with no lounge area and a very small kitchen space in the hallway within the hotel complex. My friends had stayed in the motel complex opposite the main hotel before and had no problem, but on this occasion, the TV in my bedroom wasnt working and as we didnt have a lounge area, did not fancy sitting in their room cramping their style watching TV with them so reported to reception and in fairness the owner did give me a room on my own because of this. But the room I was given was obviously a smoking room in the past and smelt of stale smoke which was embedded into everything.. and I am an outdoor smoker myself, but the smell was over powering... the hotel is tired and being used to quaint in the UK would not count this as quaint whatsoever, but tired and in need of a good refurbishment. The staff are lovely and so helpful and there is the additional positive of off parking available and a good bus route into the city.. positives - glad I only stayed one night.. my time with GM the cat, who insisted in coming into my room for a while, the staff and the easiness to get into the city.. and I am going to concentrate on those... but would not stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jane P
New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My wife and I found the surrey a clean and tidy place. We needed the pet friendly room for our dog, which was a little disappointing as it really needed a outdoor area. we found the onsite restaurant meals really nice, the staff even better!. the in house tv system was disapointing as it only had channel one,two, three and prime. you could hire movies. I would like to stay again and go to MOTAT and the zoo

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We spent two nights in this quaint hotel. They have tried to keep true to style and manage this pretty well. The downstairs lounge has olde world furniture and high ceilings with heavy dark beams. The large old mantelpiece sits above an endless electric 'fire' and is guarded by two old Ejnglish bulldogs- a nice touch. Our room was clean and the bathroom modern. Although there's only an electric jug and tea/coffee making facilities in the room, these were replenished daily. The staff we extremely friendly and helpful, always with a smile on their faces. Breakfast in the dining room was buffet style and delicious. Only the coffee could have been better. The chef is an excellent baker as well, evidenced by melt-in-the-mouth cheese scones and a variety of muffins freshly baked each morning. Our room was upstairs and was very quiet and peaceful. There is a lift but only to the first floor and we had a second floor room. However the stairs are not difficult.
Handy to shops and a supermarket is a minute away. It's a pleasant stroll through to Ponsonby with its boutique shops and many eating places. Best of all it's very close to the zoo and Motat. We got an hour's free Wifi each day which was an unexpected bonus not advertised. The hotel provides free newspapers daily and the lady on the front desk kindly printed off walking plans on the computer for us. One day there two conferences were taking place in two different areas - and although the hotel was full, there was no feeling of being crowded or the staff being too busy to attend to our needs. There is a small indoor swimming pool and a gymnasium though the latter was closed for refurbishment when we were there late November 2013. We didn't want for anything and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Taupo, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The glasses in the cupboard were unwashed, the detergent under the sink was in a 'Pump' drink bottle., which was discovered by my Grandson, who was about to open it when I turned around!!!
The toilet flush button kept sticking down and ran continually, the 2nd bed was not made up although it was booked. Not enough cutlery for one item each.
Reception girl was very pleasant and helpful, the only saving grace.
This hotel is tired and not worth $100.00 a night let alone $189.00 a night !!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else