After some intensely search for hotel in Auckland, the Best Western President Hotel won my heart for its fair price and convenient location since I would arrive Auckland by the cruise ship which disembarked at Princes Wharf in Overseas Passenger Terminal. Not until I checked into the hotel, I have come to realize the location of this hotel is really convenient to almost everywhere. I made a following list and time used in the list shows the walking distance.
1. Only five blocks (about 10 to15-minute) from Princes Wharf to hotel. I paid $15 (New Zealand dollar) for taxi because of large luggages.
2. 3-minute to Auckland’s main strip - Queen Street, you can find many shops, restaurants and entertainment.
3. 5-minute to Sky Tower, with a bungy drop right in front of the hotel
4. 10-minute to Auckland Library, (where you can get free wifi access), Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki and Albert Park
5. 10 to15-minute to Downtown Shopping Center and Downtown Ferry Terminal, where you can take ferry to Devonport, Rangitoto Island and Waiheke Island
6. 10 to 15-minute to Viaduct Harbour, where you have many choices of bars, cafes and restaurants in waterfront
7. 10 to 15-minute to Maritime Museum and Wynyard Quarter, where you can ride on heritage trams - two 1920’s trams – a W2 Class Tram and X-1 Class Tram, painted in the original 1950’s carnation red. they do the 1.5km circuit around the Wynyard Quarter.
8. Next door supermarket (Countdown) and convenient stores
9. Close to Airbus Express stop - Queen Street Middle or
10. You can book a shuttle bus from hotel front desk, I paid $30 for going to Auckland International Airport. It takes about 35 minutes to get there.
Hotel staffs were very friendly and helpful, you can leave luggages in the storage room.
My room was on the seven floor, room #708, room was old but clean with a double bed and some basic furnitures. Bed quality was good, bedding was clean. Space in both bedroom and bathroom are reasonable . Bathroom was clean and towels were white and fluffy. Basic toiletry was provided including the hair dryer. Water in the shower was hot and strong. Air con was old style and a bit of noise. This room views the hight rise buildings and the partial of tennis court.
In addition, you can find the iron and iron board in the small closet. To me one good feature in the room is the ‘little kitchen’ area , where you can find some cups, small bowls, different size of plates and utensils, even dish washing detergent. The kettle, microwave and fridge were present also.
Breakfast room is on the ground floor (lobby) open from 6:30-9:30am, buffet style costed $20 for adult and $10 for children from 3 to 12-year old. There was a la carte style too. I did not have a chance to eat there.
Gym room is on the first floor, not very big with basic equipments. Internet was not free, but price at lobby area was reasonable - $3 for 1h, $5 for 2h and $9 for 4h.
Tip: to get power, insert your room card first when you walk into the room
You can get a general idea about my room from attached photos.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modern Apartment Hotel located in the Central Business District, 150 meters from ferries & buses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western President Hotel Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auckland Best Western
- Best Western Auckland
- Best Western President Hotel Auckland New Zealand