“Well equipped,clean and strategic location.”

Best Western President Hotel Auckland
Ranked #28 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Well equipped,clean and strategic location.”
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for 2 nights.
+ve:
Very late night checked in but the staff was well aware about me and it went smoothly.
My room was at 14th floor, clean and well equipped with microwave and basic kitchen utensils(bowl, forks & spoons as well )made it easier to make instant noodle.
Where to get instant noodles? Groceries shop is just next to the hotel and Countdown supermarket is just few meters away.
And the best thing about this hotel is LOCATION. Near to Airbus (airport bus) bus stop, intercity bus terminal and also walking distance to Ferry Terminal. Thus our itinerary for 2 days in Auckland went smoothly with budget not bursting our pocket.
My 2 days in Auckland was awesome, thanks to Best Western President Hotel for being part of our trip.

-ve: WiFi at lobby only free for 1 hour per stay. Hoping for free WiFi at lobby through out our stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Romeo L, Front Desk Manager at Best Western President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Achik 72

Thank you for your recent review of BEST WESTERN President Hotel, Auckland. We are thrilled to read all your positive points mentioned about our service and facilities, your comments are highly regarded as positive encouragement for our team. I must however though apologize that you may have been miss communicated to about our free 1 hour lobby WIFI which is 1 hour per day rather than 1 hour per stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment in the near future.

Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Tahiti, French Polynesia
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The hotel is well situated, close to everything. Queen St is just down the street. Reception is very professional and courtuous. Rooms are basics but comfortable, plenty of space. Parking available at the basement, accessible by elevator (good if have luggages) with nominal fee of $NZ 20. Need to book early your space because quite busy. Sky City is a very short walk up. Prices are more than reasonnable. I was given a coupon for discount at hotel restaurant for breakfast. There is a supermarket Countdown next door.

Room Tip: Rooms with wiew of Sky City noisier because of the road.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Romeo L, Front Desk Manager at Best Western President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
Dear Tino 138

Thank you for your recent positive feedback about your stay at the BEST WESTERN President Hotel, Auckland. We are delighted to hear you had made use of the discounted breakfast voucher we had provided you with. Our location is definitely a big bonus to all our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We travel regularly, but on a pretty tight budget and wanted to stay in the heart of the city with easy access to Queen Street....cheap! We negotiated a very reasonable deal which included a parking package at the local parking garage.
The room was basic but roomy with a kitchen, tidy bathroom (although the aircon did not work in the bathroom) internet access at a very cheap rate and on the 7th floor, high enough to be out of the noise. The staff were lovely and very welcoming; this is very important to my daughter who rates all her travel experiences on her interactions with people.
Like most hotels these days they request a small bond which we used to cover internet, breakfast and parking, this took the pressure off and works for us.
We loved that we could step out the door into the multi-ethnic hub of the city with cafe's, restaurants and a supermarket within walking distance.

Room Tip: The room was roomy and the beds comfortable. Cheap internet access.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Maureen S
Dear Maureen S

Thank you very much for your recent feedback on your stay with us here at the BEST WESTERN President Hotel, Auckland. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had a highly positive experience during your stay with us. I enjoyed reading all your positive comments and will be passing these onto the team as I feel that it is highly encouraging for them. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

Have to say upfront that this is in a fantastic location and staff were very helpful but our accommodation although clean, left a lot to be desired. Outdated & scarcely furnished, we had to put the bed pillows on the sofa just to sit & be comfortable. We stayed in a suite with the bedroom backing on to a lane way - garbage removal for all bins in that laneway was done at 4/5am which woke us up every morning of our 5 day stay!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Hewee
Romeo L, Front Desk Manager at Best Western President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear Hewee

Thank you for taking your time and providing feedback on your recent stay with us at the BEST WESTERN President Hotel, Auckland. We wish to apologize about our room not meeting your requirements, we will be noting this in order to assist us in making improvements. In regards to the noise we will be engaging with neighboring businesses to arrange for them to have their rubbish collection done at a later time in the morning. I again wish to thank you for praising our staff for being helpful. We hope that we can be given the opportunity in welcoming you back some day in the future.

Sydney Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

Huge comfy bed. Big room. Great air con. Kitchenette made staying very handy. Located close to sky tower, supermarket and les mills gym. Complimentary tea and coffee. Fast elevators. Small restaurant downstairs. Good quiet rooms. Didn't hear traffic or my neighbours so slept very well.

I'd stay again in a heart beat.

• Stayed October 2012
Romeo L, Front Desk Manager at Best Western President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Dear Aerobixangel

I wish to thank you for your review of your recent stay at The BEST WESTERN President Hotel Auckland, it is always a joy to read such positive comments about our property. The team and I are delighted that you really enjoyed your stay and found your room amenities and facilities adequate to satisfy your requirements and that you would highly consider us for your next stay in Auckland. We look forward to welcoming you back to the BEST WESTERN President Hotel Auckland in the near future.

Wahiawa, Hawaii
Reviewed 2 September 2013

One of THE best rooms I stayed in while in New Zealand. I stayed at this property on the last three nights of my two-week trip here, and it was the perfect place to wrap up my vacation. I thought I would be relaxing in my room working on my laptop for a lot of the time—and the incredibly spacious and comfortable room was ideally suited for just that—however, there were way too many things to see and do in Auckland!

But first off, I was on the 14th floor of the hotel and had great views of the surrounding city skyline with the Sky Tower right down the street. Because I had a corner unit, the two walls of windows were great to let in the daylight. Two twin beds were placed together which was fine with me; they were really comfortable. Nice and quiet even though I was near the elevators. Good lighting; bed tables on both sides; good area to keep the suitcase open; nice work desk area with TV, keyboard for internet (optional to use); two really comfy chairs and small desk for a sitting area; spacious kitchen area off to side with sink, microwave, small fridge, hot water pot, utensils, plates; roomy bathroom with nice sink area, shower stall. There's a sign by the sink that indicates hot water is available for 15 minutes and more after 45 minutes. Thoughtful bathroom lighting starts off at lower wattage then brightens up, giving your eyes time to adjust to the brightness. There's a gym and restaurant, both of which I didn't use. You can also use the computers in the lobby area for your one-hour online access and to print out your boarding pass.

The only two slightly negative aspects of my stay were the constant hum of the heater, which did keep the room warm, and WIFI. Every guest receives free internet access for one hour per day in the lobby; you can also pay 5.00 for four hours in your room (affordable and worth it) or more if you wish. I opted for the 5.00 option, but for some reason I wasn't able to load pages up in my room though the signal was strong. I called the front desk and they tried to remedy the situation quite a few times, even coming up to my room to check the signal. They even gave me free 24-hour internet use. Unfortunately, the solution couldn't be found so I just ended up staying in the lobby for an hour a day. I do give them props for trying.

Regardless, I'm really happy with my stay here. The location is key and so convenient for checking out Auckland, especially if you don't have transportation. It's smack dab in the middle of everything! Just make two lefts out the door and you're on Queen Street for shopping; Sky Tower (with restaurants, Sky Jump, Sky Walk) is right up the street; the North Wharf is about a 15-minute walk away with its incredible array of restaurants, the Maritime Museum, fish market and lots more (check out the cool public bathrooms in the stacked cargo holders and neat buildings just past it). Surrounding the hotel are your choice of shops, services (camera and other), restaurants, cafes, bakeries and so much more. I enjoyed dinner at Elliot Stables on Elliot Street, a quick walk from the hotel, that's an indoor upscale food court popular with local folks after work and visitors; Elliot Atrium has a food court on the bottom and cute boutiques; the Downtown Shopping Centre on Queen Street has NZ gift shops, boutiques, food court; plus so much more. Note: there's a sundry store that you can see from the hotel lobby, but instead, go to Countdown grocery store about three doors down; items are cheaper. Lines are longer after work so go earlier if you don't want to get stuck there.

Your options for transportation to get further afield are also available. Britomart Transport and ferries to Rangitoto and Waiheke islands are on the waterfront on Quay Street (15-20 minute walk). Bus stops to get to attractions and neighboring areas (Parnell Village looks like a cool area) are right outside the hotel. You can also purchase a $40 day-long pass (second day is $20) at the Sky Tower's I-Centre for the Auckland Explorer (hop on, hop off) that takes you to major attractions. I did this and found that you need to start early in order to make the most of it since transport generally ends before 4 p.m. and each attraction takes at least one hour minimum to really enjoy (Auckland Zoo, Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium, Auckland Museum, Newmarket Shops, Eden Garden—check it out!—Motat and Parnell Village will all require more than an hour). So your best bet will most likely be the public bus system so you can take your time and not feel pressured to rush.

Transport to and from Auckland Airport is no problem either. I used the Super Shuttle NZ from the airport to the hotel (shared) and the hotel arranged personal transport for me back to the airport ($30 I think). There are other cheaper options as well.

All in all, I would definitely stay at this hotel again. If all you can do is a quick trip to Auckland and don't have transportation, this would be an ideal headquarters.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Sarah808
Dear Sarah 808

I wish to take this great opportunity on behalf of the entire team in thanking you for you wonderful review of your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN President Hotel. I really enjoyed reading your many positive comments about our property as well as making note on negative comments mentioned which will assist us to make future improvements. I again wish to sincerely apologize for the internet connectivity issues you had experienced during your stay and we will be working on improving our WIFI service. Again the entire team and I at The BEST WESTERN President are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the President hotel. It was in the very central Auckland and perfect for our needs, one block from Sky Tower and also Queen St. The service was very good, the staff very friendly and helpful. Our room was, maybe, slightly dated, but very clean and spacious and was serviced each day to a very high standard. The breakfast buffet was very good and had a great choice of food, both cooked and continental.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel and unfortunately quite noisy in the early hours of the mornin...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Julie W
Romeo L, Front Desk Manager at Best Western President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Julie W

Thank you very much for your recent review about the BEST WESTERN President Hotel, Auckland. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our great value buffet breakfast and found all our our staff helpful and friendly. I will be passing onto our housekeeping team your comments about the servicing of your room. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment in the near future.