“Great location, Average Accommodation”

Best Western President Hotel Auckland
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Great location, Average Accommodation”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here for two nights as I was looking for something close to the heart of the city and the ferry wharf. The location is brilliant -- a two minute walk to the main strip of shops and restaurants, and 5-10 minutes to the ferry wharf on foot. I checked in very late, and was able to pop over to the convenience store next door to pick up midnight snacks and a SIM card for my phone. I appreciate the security of after-hours card entry to the hotel lobby, and the front desk staff was fast and friendly.

As for the room itself, it can best be described as 'sterile.' I.e. it was spotlessly clean but bare and a bit cold. The king-size bed was actually two twin beds pushed together (this appears to be a trend in New Zealand) and wasn't terribly comfortable. I got an excellent price for the two nights through a deal site flash sale, but if I'd paid full price (upwards of $200/night) I probably would've been disappointed. Excellent choice for the convenient location and cleanliness if the price is right.

Room Tip: I was on one of the top floors and it appeared to be recently renovated -- everything looked freshly...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Romeo L, Front Office Manager at Best Western President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 30 May 2014

Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay with us.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our Hotel. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My stay was only for one night but the studio room served our purposes well.The hotel's location was its best feature - right in the heart of the CBD, close to the restaurants and bars I was planning to visit to celebrate my 40th birthday.

Good features included being on the 12 floor which meant we heard very little noise except for the odd scream from the bungee ride opposite (made for entertaining viewing though), the blackout curtains were great and the bed was ok. I liked being able to reserve a secure parking space at the hotel for $20 a night. The spaces were pretty tight though.

We enjoyed the buffet breakfast - plenty of choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, breads and pastries and the cooked foods weren't greasy. I could have done without the religious service broadcast on the TV - it might have been Sunday morning but it felt weird to be eating accompanied by hymns and sermons!

Bad features - surprisingly poor shower pressure and lack of a normal power socket in the bathroom so I couldn't use my hair straighteners by the only mirror. Having a mirror in the bedroom would help. The whole facility could do with a colour injection - it felt a little drab.

I would stay here again mainly for the great location. Otherwise, it's just your run of the mill hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room high up to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Romeo L, Front Office Manager at Best Western President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest

We wish to thank you kindly for taking the time in giving us feedback on your recent stay with us. We that you had enjoyed your stay by giving us plenty of great comments. I must apologize about the TV program which the TV was tuned into on the day you had breakfast. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I've stayed in many, many Best Westerns, mostly in North America and this was not a good one. The room although spacious, was very tired, with very stained mould in the grout of bathroom. Internet was not cheap and dropped out about every 5 mins. Breakfast was expensive and frequently there was nowhere to sit down due to busloads of tourists getting ready to leave for a tour. The lobby might be the most dated and unfashionable lobby of all Auckland CBD hotels. The staff was friendly and it was quiet being up high, but you could hear the occasional scream of the bungee machine outside with tourists screaming.

Not a bad hotel, but not up to North American Best Western standards

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike T
Romeo L, Front Office Manager at Best Western President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest

We wish to sincerely apologize if your recent stay was not to your satisfaction. We are constantly making improvements to the Hotel. As all BEST WESTERN Hotels are privately managed we do have differing offerings from property to property. We do however take all comments seriously and thank you kindly for your comments. I have passed some of your concerns onto the relevant departments. Thank you again however for your praise of our staff.

Yours Sincerely

Romeo Liebig

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I took the airport bus from the door 9, it cost me $16 and the driver helped me to get off at right stop for the hotel Best western at Victoria St west, it was only 4 min walk to the hotel.

I quickly left my luggage at the hotel and took Ho Ho from Sky about 3 mins walk. When I came back the check in was very quick; my room was very clean and elegant with brilliant view of the sky tower. Raj was most helpful to give me directions to buy adaptor, he also loaned me one temporary so I could charge both my gadgets and I bought an adaptor from Dick Smith about 10 mins walk from the hotel for $20.

Best western charge extra $10 for wifi but you can get 30 mins free in lobby. I paid $5 for 4 hours in lobby as I just needed it just for one hour but when I came back there were no seats in lobby as big group of a tour were having meeting there so It is worthwhile to pay $10 and have it in your room but when I asked the lady at reception about the option, she was rude and refused to sort it out. It was only $5 but it is question of principle, she is the only lady who lacked patience throughout all my travels so far but some of the staff like Raj, was most courteous and helpful so it made it up;

The hotel is in excellent location, 3 mins from Sky and 5 mins walk to intercity bus, my room was clean, spacious, the bed was comfortable, good size bathroom and a little kitchenette with microwave. I would definitely recommend this hotel but if you need wifi just pay $10 extra to have it in the comfort of your room.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Smeets P
Romeo L, Front Office Manager at Best Western President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 18 May 2014

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Location: Auckland Sky Tower, food court at Elliot Street and Countdown supermarket. Couldn't ask for more.

Hotel: Spacious and clean room. Pillows are very comfy. Helpful, quick and informative staff.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

After catching the Airbus from Auckland Airport, the bus stops within walking distance to the hotel. The hotel staff took some time to find my booking and assumed it was for today and didn't look at yesterday's bookings even though I arrived before 6am. But after that I was booked in and was able enjoy a good sleep. Room is nice and clean, nice facilities. The rooms are like a mini apartment with a kitchenette, microwave, some cutlery and plates, and a bar fridge. There's also an iron and ironing board and they offer luggage storage. The ironing board was wet so I asked for a replacement and in a short time that was provided. There's also a Countdown (Woolworths) supermarket and a convenience store next door. A short walk to all the retail along Queen Street, close to Britomart (more retail and restaurants), close to the quay to catch a ferry, close to Viaduct Harbour for waterside restaurants, and close to SkyCity if you like the casino's. The tour bus company (InterCity) is also near by SkyCity. Opposite the road is this reverse bungy thing for the adventurous.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Shaun D

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a Saturday night with another couple for a night in the city.
Very spacious one bedroomed apartment each. Very clean too.
Found it odd that the place for your suitcase was in the lounge as was the wardrobe.
There was plenty of space for more seating in the lounge too.
No wine glasses provided at all.
Loved the soap and shampoos in pump containers in the bathroom. Linen was of a good quality also.
Awesome place to stay and walk around the city, so close to sky tower, restaurants and a small supermarket almost next door.
We did prebook a car park for $20 which was a very tiny space but luckily we had an expert driver with us. Would not have wanted to try and park the car myself.
Breakfast was included in the room rate and included fresh fruit salad, cereals and yoghurt, juices toast etc. Also a lovely cooked option of baked beans, sausages, bacon, eggs, yummy mushrooms, hash browns and tomatoes. Great to set you up for the day walking around the city. Very pleasant staff in the dining room.
We all agreed it was great value for money with a superb location.
Would and will be staying again

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple